Best chop saw(mitre saw)

eddoakley

In the market for a chop saw or two.

Have dewalt, Makita, milwaukee and probably one or two more but they're mostly older and warn now.

Varying models and sizes.

Ideally I'd like to be able to cut 8x4 sleepers but still use it for smaller stuff and joinery. Happy to use different blades on one saw.

Probably want a stand too.

110v or 240 or even battery.

What can you recommend?

Edd

Just now, eddoakley said:

In the market for a chop saw or two.

Have dewalt, Makita, milwaukee and probably one or two more but they're mostly older and warn now.

Varying models and sizes.

Ideally I'd like to be able to cut 8x4 sleepers but still use it for smaller stuff and joinery. Happy to use different blades on one saw.

Probably want a stand too.

110v or 240 or even battery.

What can you recommend?

Edd

Oh and I'd like double bevel compound if possible.

MIlwaukee every time! M18 battery. 305mm blade. Nails sleepers, hardwood etc and gives a really smooth cut. Bought one 6 months ago and the only regret I have is I only had 5ah batteries. It kills them. Needs a 9ah heavy duty or 12ah battery.  Wipes the floor with the Makita on cutting power. I've had both so definately know. 

The Milwaukee stand is expensive but the erbauer one from screwfix around £99 works just as well. 

IMG-20200630-WA0002.jpg

About the only one I don't have or haven't had is the Bosch one that's what I've been looking at.

I have the smaller milwaukee battery one but bent the rear fence when a piece of architrave bit so it's not been used in ages.

Also have the 305mm dewalt and a smaller dewalt which was cheap. 2 or 3 Makita too.

I'm thinking one smaller milwaukee battery one as we've loads of milwaukee already and maybe the big Bosch.

Edd

I've got the large Bosch GCM 12 GDL as moon doggy above, haven't actually had the chance to use it yet [had it for 6 months/lack of suitable work during this pandemic] but it's a superb bit of kit. Also got the Bosch GCM 8 SJL for general purpose use,,,, that is also a superb bit of kit and does not feel cheap in the slightest. Used it with the heavy duty Bosch saw stand,,,, brilliant combo 👍

I have bought Evolution Rage saws in the past - 3 now (one for myself + 2 as gifts) - if you give them a ring and ask for any ex demo models or returns you can usually get around 30-40% off new price for a saw thats got a bit of dust on it or was returned because a part was missing - they replace the part then sell the saw as a second.

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

I have bought Evolution Rage saws in the past

Really like mine, and it's only on its second blade in 10 years - but they are not the first choice for fine joinery.  The ability to cut metal is surprisingly useful, but that does make it compromised, the blade spins too slowly for a fine toothed woodworking blade.   Not a problem for chopping CLS to length or most other rough carpentry tasks.  

But they're also about a quarter of the price of a Makita or Bosch so different league.  

From a sales point of view where I work, The Ridgid compound mitre saw pretty much out sells every other chopsaw on the market we stock all brands DeWalt-Evolution. And its not DIYers that buy them its the trade. Apparently the best Chop Saw you can buy. However Ridgid's 18v combi drill, which is quite expensive is total pants.

25 minutes ago, fatchap said:

From a sales point of view where I work, The Ridgid compound mitre saw pretty much out sells every other chopsaw on the market we stock all brands DeWalt-Evolution. And its not DIYers that buy them its the trade. Apparently the best Chop Saw you can buy. However Ridgid's 18v combi drill, which is quite expensive is total pants.

I didn't realise Ridgid was available in the UK??

I have the 10" Bosch and it's very good. But my mate spends a fortune on tools and has been changing from DeWalt to maffel and festool.  He still has a 12" battery DeWalt Chop saw but sure he bought a maffel or festool one. He fits kitchens and is a right tool tart. 

For me depends on what your doing, your cutting. Sleepers so want some more robust. I'd go looking and get hands on at a big tool suppliers. 

Have you thought about something like this for cutting sleepers?

F19F17F0-2626-4E2A-869B-1B3175FD6D62.jpeg.86b38695e14419c8a7a1353f3f5e0d06.jpeg
FESTOOL 769211 UNIVERS SSU200 EB-PLUS-FS SWORD SAW
The guy who fitted a huge oak beam into our fireplace used something similar. It was very impressive for that size of wood.

Edited by moondoggy

46 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

Have you thought about something like this for cutting sleepers?

F19F17F0-2626-4E2A-869B-1B3175FD6D62.jpeg.86b38695e14419c8a7a1353f3f5e0d06.jpeg
FESTOOL 769211 UNIVERS SSU200 EB-PLUS-FS SWORD SAW
The guy who fitted a huge oak beam into our fireplace used something similar. It was very impressive for that size of wood.

That’s what we used for compound cuts, plus it’s template. Chain doesn’t give a perfect edge, but it serves a purpose. 

Had another look at the festool today. It ain't cheap but to be fair isn't that much more than a big Bosch.

The downside is the depth of cut. I really want something to do 100mm.

It's looking like Bosch or if price is comparable then maybe the milwaukee of about the same spec. 18v is still not out of the equation.

Edd

Unless your doing limited cuts I'd stay away from battery power. If your at it all day on big timber batteries won't last long. If your having to charge them might as well just plug a saw in.

Just now, figgy said:

Unless your doing limited cuts I'd stay away from battery power. If your at it all day on big timber batteries won't last long. If your having to charge them might as well just plug a saw in.

A chop saw with 14" carbide tipped blade might suit you. Used to cut steel all the time so very rugged