Care Home Staff Vaccinations

fern01

35 minutes ago, fern01 said:

I read an article today which states 20% of care home staff have refused the vaccination as it is not compulsary otherwise they and the residents would nearly all have been done by now

Does anybody know why this is occurring?

Because they don't want it. 

Just like any vaccine or any other medical treatment ever, there is a risk reward ratio of taking it. A friend of mine's brother had the whooping cough vaccine around age 4 I think and was left permanently brain damaged. That was a good 40-50 years ago. He had no issues before the vaccine. 

I believe that vaccine had a number of issues that were played down. 

For the elderly, immune compromised and those that are high risk of death, this vaccine is a blessing, the risk reward ratio is that the reward from having it far out weighs the risk.

For the perfectly healthy who are young, fit and able, the risk reward ratio is different. They are very low risk of being harmed by the virus, so are not so keen potentially to have the vaccine. 

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist or Covid denier to have legitimate concerns about some vaccinations. I was just an hour ago assessing someone with a top Psychiatrist in hospital and he said he has not yet deciced to have it, and it holding off to see how others react to it first. 

As with any medical procedure it cannot (and potentially should not) be forced on anyone without their will. 

There any many nurses and other health professionals who also decide not to have a flu vaccine every year. It's nothing new. 

2 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Because they don't want it. 

Just like any vaccine or any other medical treatment ever, there is a risk reward ratio of taking it. A friend of mine's brother had the whooping cough vaccine around age 4 I think and was left permanently brain damaged. That was a good 40-50 years ago. He had no issues before the vaccine. 

I believe that vaccine had a number of issues that were played down. 

For the elderly, immune compromised and those that are high risk of death, this vaccine is a blessing, the risk reward ratio is that the reward from having it far out weighs the risk.

For the perfectly healthy who are young, fit and able, the risk reward ratio is different. They are very low risk of being harmed by the virus, so are not so keen potentially to have the vaccine. 

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist or Covid denier to have legitimate concerns about some vaccinations. I was just an hour ago assessing someone with a top Psychiatrist in hospital and he said he has not yet deciced to have it, and it holding off to see how others react to it first. 

As with any medical procedure it cannot (and potentially should not) be forced on anyone without their will. 

There any many nurses and other health professionals who also decide not to have a flu vaccine every year. It's nothing new. 

Good answer

The article also stated 2.5% of care home residents don't want it either

Vaccination should always be a choice. Employing people based upon their suitability to not infect and kill you clients is always a choice too. I would not have a explicit policy (unlike publicity shy Pimlico or Ryanair) but I would simply start the staff cull now. It must to get replacements for relatively low skilled carers during an economic disaster. Anyone with no vaccine and no two years of employment status goes on day one. 

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

Vaccination should always be a choice. Employing people based upon their suitability to not infect and kill you clients is always a choice too. I would not have a explicit policy (unlike publicity shy Pimlico or Ryanair) but I would simply start the staff cull now. It must to get replacements for relatively low skilled carers during an economic disaster. Anyone with no vaccine and no two years of employment status goes on day one. 

Hello, you mean a company sack staff if they do not want the vaccine ?

25 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, you mean a company sack staff if they do not want the vaccine ?

He does yes, if you run a nursing home and have staff coming and going daily who refuse to have the vaccine should they still work there?

Undecided, it's not yet clear if you can still give Covid to others even if you've had the vaccine. If you're still able to carry and give Covid to others after having had the vaccine then it might make no difference whether care home staff have had it or not, aside from protecting themselves. 

6 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

He does yes, if you run a nursing home and have staff coming and going daily who refuse to have the vaccine should they still work there?

Undecided, it's not yet clear if you can still give Covid to others even if you've had the vaccine. If you're still able to carry and give Covid to others after having had the vaccine then it might make no difference whether care home staff have had it or not, aside from protecting themselves. 

Put simply you will be able to infect someone even if you have had the vaccine, they say it can last up to 72 hours on some surfaces, so if someone has coughed the virus into the air near you and it's on your clothing or on our hands then there's every possibility you could pass it on.

There is a lot of disinformation going round about the vaccine on the internet. Most of it pure lies like

1) it contains animal products, its grown in pigs etc this is doing the rounds in various Asian communities. 

2) its extracted from the bodies of people who have died from the virus

3) people have died after receiving the vaccine but its being supressed

4) all the usual rubbish about 5G etc 

16 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Meanwhile:

“If you are very frail, you should probably not be vaccinated,” Steinar Madsen at the Norwegian Medicines Agency said at a webinar on corona vaccine for journalists on Thursday.

https://norwaytoday.info/news/norwegian-medicines-agency-links-13-deaths-to-vaccine-side-effects-those-who-died-were-frail-and-old/

Canny win...

Its more important the 

53 minutes ago, serrac said:

Meanwhile:

“If you are very frail, you should probably not be vaccinated,” Steinar Madsen at the Norwegian Medicines Agency said at a webinar on corona vaccine for journalists on Thursday.

https://norwaytoday.info/news/norwegian-medicines-agency-links-13-deaths-to-vaccine-side-effects-those-who-died-were-frail-and-old/

Canny win...

Nonsense, their death could be nothing to do with the vaccine, second people die all the time from taking medications nothing to do with coronavirus.  Do we stop giving elderly medications.  

17 hours ago, fern01 said:

I read an article today which states 20% of care home staff have refused the vaccination as it is not compulsary otherwise they and the residents would nearly all have been done by now

Does anybody know why this is occurring?

Even if the staff have the vaccine they can still be infected and pass it on, so its more important the patients have the vaccine rather than the staff,

Edited by ordnance

Apparently the decision to extend the second dose time to 12 weeks is a breach of patient consent. Even now the consent form may still be a three week agreement. There will be lawsuits against the govt at some point. That's one of the reasons the drug companies were quick to point out that the 12 week gap has not been tested. 

1 hour ago, serrac said:

Meanwhile:

Canny win...

They have already reviewed those deaths and noted those 13 were very old and frail, and there deaths were down to other causes.

They have given tens of thousands of vaccines, the UK has now given millions of the same formula and not had those results. 

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

They have already reviewed those deaths and noted those 13 were very old and frail, and there deaths were down to other causes.

They have given tens of thousands of vaccines, the UK has now given millions of the same formula and not had those results. 

Yes, just looks like more antivaccine.

Well we had our first jabs today (Oxford version I believe)  all through our GP and his Group. Exceptionally well organised and only had about a ten minute wait whilst paperwork issued etc. Booked in for 1.15pm.... arrived at 1.10pm and left the site at 1.30pm all done and dusted.  Second dated already booked in early March.

21 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well we had our first jabs today (Oxford version I believe)  all through our GP and his Group. Exceptionally well organised and only had about a ten minute wait whilst paperwork issued etc. Booked in for 1.15pm.... arrived at 1.10pm and left the site at 1.30pm all done and dusted.  Second dated already booked in early March.

It's great to hear that the vaccine roll out is going smoothly 👍

We had envelopes full of information through the post as to how to book jabs etc etc etc and I MEAN etc etc etc etc. Checked with our surgery and ten minutes later she rang back to book the time we had today 25 mins from our backdoor at one of their surgeries. She said the paperwork we had receieved was for Birmingham district at least an hours drive either way and a lady reported waiting for 40 minutes there and then not getting a jab.   Can only say that as usual our own Doctors Practise was on top of the job with lots of help if needed, easy parking within 20yrds of the line and staff with a sense of humour.  I've said it before, I think we are lucky.

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Die of any reason within 28 days of a covid test and it’s classed as a covid death. Die within 28 days of a vaccination and it’s not vaccination related!!  

13 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Vaccination should always be a choice

Sounds good !

13 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Anyone with no vaccine and no two years of employment status goes on day one. 

Oh !

Wheres that choice again ?

21 minutes ago, AVB said:

Die of any reason within 28 days of a covid test and it’s classed as a covid death. Die within 28 days of a vaccination and it’s not vaccination related!!  

Of course , and those peoples deaths DEFINITELY had NOTHING to do with the vaccine. 

How could they possibly say anything else 😃

19 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Sounds good !

Oh !

Wheres that choice again ?

Of course , and those peoples deaths DEFINITELY had NOTHING to do with the vaccine. 

How could they possibly say anything else 😃

And perhaps some of the people who died within 28 days of a covid test died of something else. How could they possibly say anything else. But they do. 

1 hour ago, AVB said:

And perhaps some of the people who died within 28 days of a covid test died of something else. How could they possibly say anything else. But they do. 

Don't forget, it used to be 60 days, and the UK does not officially record 'recoveries', most countries do, it gives the, 'died WITH covid' cause legitimacy.