Opinions / thoughts on Kofs sub-gauges

Fellside

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have owned a KOFS 20b for about 2 years, my lad learnt to shoot with it and put around 5000 clay loads through it with no issues, paid £450 brand new, the gunsmith who i purchased from is well respected and trustworthy and said at the time he had sold over 40 of these and only had 1 come back to have work done on it (trigger lightened). I would describe the trigger pull as a tad agricultural if used to a better quality gun but if a first gun and know no different its actually ok. My friend has a Yilditz 28b and that looks a really well made gun and again no issues, im looking forward to giving it a try. The kofs is light but you can shoot 24g comfortably through it on a round of sporting clays, Hull pro ones by far the best combination of all the clay carts we put through it

Had my KOFS 28G for 20 months and cannot really fault it, mine has 30" barrels M/C as it's all I could find at the time and I find the gun quite front heavy compared to the light weight of the gun but you get used to it. Recoil is practically non existent with any load but avoid buying blind, some stocks seem to be made of several pieces glued together and have the odd area as rough as a Badgers backside whilst other guns have superb woodwork, some also have a different drop at the comb so shoulder the wee beasty before parting with any money. Not had a single mechanical issue, gun is still tight even though second hand and I do not know it's previous history. Have a good look for any wear/play in the breach area as a sloppy joint can be hidden simply by tightening a small screw on the for-end iron hook.

2 hours ago, TRINITY said:

As a matter of interest is there anyone who has had experience of both kofs  and yildiz.  Just wondering which is considered the best quality

If I remember right, Johnny Carter from The Gun Shop did a side by side comparison on his YouTube channel. Unfortunately I think the Yildiz came out better, but.....I've never fired the Yildiz so it's KOFs for me 🙂

9 hours ago, Fellside said:

Thanks for all the replies - very helpful indeed. Unfortunately the bargain 28 bore was such a good deal that it’s been sold while I dithered….!! Nevertheless, I am still keen and will consider a new one now, especially as they have a decent guarantee. 

Thinking of letting mine go as I simply don't get out as much now due to health issues but I'm in Bucks and most likely a million miles away from you.

17 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Thinking of letting mine go as I simply don't get out as much now due to health issues but I'm in Bucks and most likely a million miles away from you.

Sorry  bruno22rf - yes I’m a good 5 hours from you. I’m sure some one will snap it up as they are very popular. The second hand ones don’t seem to hang around. 

21 hours ago, Centrepin said:

KOFs Sceptre SXE Game 30" barrels. Adult version.

2" x 9 gram x 6s.

20211031_213124.jpg

IMG-20211031-WA0008.jpg

Pigeon earlier on 3" x 18 gram x 6s.

Versatile gun.

20211031_211556.jpg

Is that a Fiocchi 18 gram cartridge?

30 minutes ago, Fellside said:

OK - I’m asking because I’m about to start my young son with a 410. Looking to see what people like. Presume that’s your pigeon popper..?

The 410 cartridge you see will do the job  no problem on pigeon or any game bird within range ....35-40yrds. It is all down to how your son is built. If he is well built he will not notice those going off, but if lightly built I would start him on some 2 1/2s and nice easy going away clays that he can hit, then he is hooked.

24 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

The 410 cartridge you see will do the job  no problem on pigeon or any game bird within range ....35-40yrds. It is all down to how your son is built. If he is well built he will not notice those going off, but if lightly built I would start him on some 2 1/2s and nice easy going away clays that he can hit, then he is hooked.

Thanks for that. Yes thinking the same re light cart’s for clays. Slightly off topic here, but also looking for opinions on good 3” magnums for pigeons….not rushing my boy in to that just yet though. 

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

OK - I’m asking because I’m about to start my young son with a 410. Looking to see what people like. Presume that’s your pigeon popper..?

Yildiz OU or Revo OU or KOFs OU in multichoke weigh in about 5lbs, handle Eley 3 inch 18g No7 easily as eleys are soft shooting and will kill clay or pigeons to 35 yards with IC and LM/M Chokes.

If he is under 10,  Yildiz do a youth stock that can be ordered seperately and swapped with adult stock.

2 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Thanks for that. Yes thinking the same re light cart’s for clays. Slightly off topic here, but also looking for opinions on good 3” magnums for pigeons….not rushing my boy in to that just yet though. 

For pigeons I use .

nsi 19 grm no6 . Hull high pheasant  18 grm no 6 

Or a quieter and softer cartridge  that kills just as well .the gamebore 16 grm no 6 .

My Khan (Revo) with Briley extended chokes.

A multi choke with light chokes is best for a beginner, full chokes (which a lot of fixed choke 410's are) makes it more difficult to hit birds at close range due to the small area of spread.

Once he is confident in hitting targets you can see what chokes give best results at 35 yards (Hint it may not be full choke!)

DSC_0327 1.JPG

8A9C7B27-0B45-484A-A118-AF7BAE2103D0.jpeg.a59cf9786e886cd87cf9ac65ffd9c1bb.jpegMy .410’s. Both English made 1902. Both 2 1/2 inch.one is 4lb 1 1/2 oz, the other 4lb 2 1/2 oz.    Both lightly choked.

Do not be afraid to let your lad use 2 1/2 inch cartridges for pigeons or anything else, they work just fine to thirty yards IF you keep the shot size small enough to keep the pattern as dense as possible. Num 7 has more than enough energy, even num 9’s kill pigeon at that range.

Stonepark is spot on.  Take the time if you can to check the pattern/s and take the time to accurately measure the distances because there is a lot of bad distance judgement.

My Yilditz with full chokes at 35yrds throws a nice 30 inch patter with both my homeloads and Fiocchi 3inch  #7s.  Late season and pigeon shooting that is the choke I choose.    Early season and traditional over the hedges style partridge I use the number 3 chokes which I suppose rate about 3/4 which just opens the pattern slightlybut not too much.  I believe with the 410 it is important to have as much shot in the pattern as possible  .... a 20yrd bird on full choke will have to be hit with about a 15-16 inch circle of shot and a lot of game birds are shot at that distance with all gauges.  So you have to be on target.     A lot of difference shooting live targets to shooting clays where you know the distance every time.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

The only Baikal SxS .410 guns I have seen are all too heavy to be a 12 bore! 
My mate has just bought one and it weighs over 7 1/2 lbs.

It is indeed a chunky little thing!  No idea of its weight but mates 10 year old seems to manage to break clays ok with it.