Broken rib, or ribs?

Scully

Anyone broken a rib? Have had to cry off beating this morning due to a fall yesterday, and am shortly heading off to A&E. Pain isn’t good at all and it seemed to take forever to get my socks on! Am doddering about like an old man! Have been popping Ibuprofen  ( to reduce inflammation ) since it happened yesterday but OH has just read online ‘avoid taking Ibuprofen as this may prolong the healing process’! 😀😫 I have a house to finish before Christmas! 💩

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A colleague broke (some?) rib(s) in a motor accident some years ago.  Treatment was basically rest, and he did make a full recovery, but it took time.  I cannot comment on ibuprofen, but my docs usually recommend paracetamol for pain.

Good luck - A&E is no fun - I spent 11 hours there before finally being admitted (Nov 2020).

Edited by JohnfromUK

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

How many do you think you've broken?

I really don’t know as I’ve never experienced this before. It hurts more when I breath out. Went a helluva clatter and could only key the walkie talkie as I couldn’t talk, just lay there like a guppy gasping for air until I managed to talk into it and hold up the line. Couldn’t bear being bumped about in beaters trailer so got in the game cart ( Polaris ) toasty warm and good suspension! 🙂
They may just be badly bruised? Will find out shortly. 👍

I’ve broken ribs twice this year - I cannot go into the circumstances on here. The pain is awful in the morning, getting out of bed takes a long time, there is nothing that can be done for them unless they need a plate. The pain is eye watering when they are jolted, pressed or asleep. I had to sleep propped upright on pillows in a sitting position but struggled to get a decent stint between waking up in pain for the first few weeks. It was awful but as it was only two weeks into a new season I carried on shooting, with medicinal port and whiskey, but my technique is a little wrecked between the rib and a related shoulder injury.

That was almost exactly two months ago, and they are pretty much fine now unless something (child/wife etc) presses on them. I can train again each morning for the last two weeks. Some of my other breaks haven’t healed that quickly since then.

In January when I broke them previously it took 12 weeks to return to full fitness, but the breaks were in a worse place - close to the sternum. This time they are at the side under my arm. 

I had codeine for the first few days, bliss. Then a few days gap then over the counter co-codamol. I used ibruprofen and paracetamol/coco in alternate to avoid gaps for first couple of weeks.

Had a few broken over the years and to be honest there’s not a lot they can do for you 

there’s the obvious risk of puncturing a lung so you should be checked out 

hope you mend soon 

strongly advise you take precautions and change your clothes and have a shower when you get home 

hospitals are full of bugs 

get well soon 

I’m 7 weeks in now and been off the meds 2 weeks . 
Don’t go to A&E as their is nothing they can do at all unless you can’t breath.
Ibuprofen delay healing it’s true but nothing your going to notice . 
take them every 6 hours and cocodamol every 4 and carry on as normal. I didn’t rest as you’ll seize up . 
Wish you luck with sneezing or coughing 

I snapped mine back and front this time but it’s the 3rd time I think or 4th 

30 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I’m 7 weeks in now and been off the meds 2 weeks . 
Don’t go to A&E as their is nothing they can do at all unless you can’t breath.
Ibuprofen delay healing it’s true but nothing your going to notice . 
take them every 6 hours and cocodamol every 4 and carry on as normal. I didn’t rest as you’ll seize up . 
Wish you luck with sneezing or coughing 

I snapped mine back and front this time but it’s the 3rd time I think or 4th 

If anyone knows, TT  does 😅😅

I've only ever popped one out and that's sore enough,  good luck.

Thanks all for the advice.
Just got back from Penrith A&E. Was checked out by a trainee, pee sample, blood pressure and pulse taken. Prodded in all the right ( wrong ) places, and then checked over again by the duty Dr who ‘strongly suspects’ I have at least one broken rib, but they don’t do x-rays anymore as the treatment is exactly the same. Bit of a relief really as it would have meant a longer wait and probably a trip to Carlisle. 
Was prescribed a strong Codeine ( free now as I’m a certain age !🙂) to take along with paracetamol which produces Co-codomol apparently, and told to just rest. No driving, no lifting. 
The ibuprofen info’ is correct but just applies for the first 24 hours of a break. 
Was driven there and back by my caring OH who must have hit every pothole and drain cover both ways. Bless her! 🙂

Our roads are just awful. 
Still feel bad about letting down ‘keeper. 

50 minutes ago, Mice! said:

You would have had no chance in the beating line, one slip or twist would have you doubled up,  like TT said you can look forward to coughing and sneezing. 

Yeah, you’re right. The Dr said I’d be very silly to risk another tumble or scrambling over walls and barbed wire fences with a broken rib, even if the pain wasn’t that bad.
I got out of bed ( eventually ) fully intent on going, but realised I wasn’t up to it after walking across the cobbled yard and a pathetic attempt to throw the dog her ball. I could read her mind, and it just said ‘ is that it? Pathetic!’ 🙂

The pain really was horrendous, and it’s eased quite a bit now, but has really slowed me down. 
One good thing has come out of it; the duty Dr said I had a very slow pulse rate for my age, signifying how fit I was! Nice lady! 🙂

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

If anyone knows, TT  does 😅😅

I've only ever popped one out and that's sore enough,  good luck.

Thankyou. 

Chances are you would twist or slip, jar your ribs and find yourself face planting a wall or tree, unfortunately it's one of those injuries that just takes time. 

I was lucky that I just popped one out of place, it went back in a few days later when I stretched without thinking,  hurt coming out and going in, but better than a break.

Broken ribs are just about the most vexatious thing one can do. Unless they puncture a lung, it's not that serious an injury, but my word do they make their presence felt! You breathe in, they hurt. You breathe out, they hurt. You laugh they hurt, you sneeze they're agony. You don't even get a scar or a cast as a badge of honour. Just day-to-day brattish spitefulness. 

Hopefully you'll be on the mend soon! Bad timing awards nominee for you sir.

28 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Broken ribs are just about the most vexatious thing one can do. Unless they puncture a lung, it's not that serious an injury, but my word do they make their presence felt! You breathe in, they hurt. You breathe out, they hurt. You laugh they hurt, you sneeze they're agony. You don't even get a scar or a cast as a badge of honour. Just day-to-day brattish spitefulness. 

Hopefully you'll be on the mend soon! Bad timing awards nominee for you sir.

Thankyou. Yeah, **** timing admittedly. Fortunately I’ve finished all the prep’ on current job so can just paint now.