What's your claim to fame

oowee

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have met some of the Royal family and many prominent people as the owners of the estate I worked on entertained lots of Lords and Ladies etc.

In the shooting world the high has to be pegged next to the late great AJ Smith when shooting in Devon, he was quite a character.  After the shooting when we were in the lodge having dinner he produced a Woodward shotgun that he had had won or been given, can't remember which, but he wanted 7 grand for it, more than any of us could afford.

Mine mainly from my spannering various race cars.

Colin McRea raced a ascar the team ran.

Vicky butler Henderson was a close friend of one of our drivers

sporty spice her brother drove one of the cars.

heart beat ver tally all of the cast my friends worked on it and all turned up for he’s wedding that I was best man at !

Jenson button once as he was very interested in our pit girls a pair of drop dead gorgeous blond twins

Bumped into Lewis Hamilton and dad and brother ( once literally) in his formula Renault days regularly 

Lots of the touring car drivers of the early 2000’s

Agriv8 

I was at senior school in the 60's with the footballing brothers Tony and Paul Currie, Olympic middle distance runner Dave Bedford and the late rock musician Paul Kossoff from the band Free.

My grandmother lived in Hampstead Garden Suburb in the 50's and 60's and I lived with her for a while. She had several actors as neighbours, Tony Britton and his daughter Fern who I used to chat up, Gwen Watford, Donald Sinden and his two sons and James Maxwell. That area was quite showbizzy and you could always spot someone from TV or stage. 

I used to work in Hampstead in the 70's and frequented the Flask pub which was across the road from my office and chatted to Robert Powell with his wife Babs Lord from Pan's People and John Hurt quite often. 

I used to play darts for the Kings Cross team in the BDO London Super League in the mid 70's and two of my team mates were Eric Bristow and Bobby George. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Part of the Hong Kong handover ceremony? 

he was doing the rounds in africa visiting various high commisions and embassy's....i was at a BBQ at the first secatary's gaff in kampala...where mr pattern was also ...needless to say i was semi slaughtered  and was talking to some bird on the terrace...and casually leaned against the BBQ....which was still bloody hot..jumped outa my skin and knocked the BBQ over full of red hot coals which went all over the terrace.....which resulted in all and sundry daancing about and patting themselves down and putting out smouldering trousers and socks...

nobody really minded as most were all slaughtered..........

still got the invite somewhere....will try and find it

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

he was doing the rounds in africa visiting various high commisions and embassy's....i was at a BBQ at the first secatary's gaff in kampala...where mr pattern was also ...needless to say i was semi slaughtered  and was talking to some bird on the terrace...and casually leaned against the BBQ....which was still bloody hot..jumped outa my skin and knocked the BBQ over full of red hot coals which went all over the terrace.....which resulted in all and sundry daancing about and patting themselves down and putting out smouldering trousers and socks...

:lol:

42 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Cooor you really cannot be trusted to behave in company.  :D

Had a double date arranged by a pal, he did not like his but the other one wrote to me for as it turned out to be a one night stand. She collected me from Walmer in her 205 Peugeot gti and she drove back to her pad. It was the young offenders nick high above Dover, she was the governor and the portcullis raised to let us in. She had dealt with Myra Hindley while doing training at Holloway.

If we are doing claim to fame by acquaintance - My Dad used to stay in digs in London above a cafe that the Krays used to frequent - he used to see them quite regularly.

My Grandad fixed Jonny Saint's car for him and ended up being called Uncle Tom by him (you would have to have been a fan of 70/80's wrestling) - and through that I got to know him - last time I saw him though was 93 when he had a corner shop by Pleasure Beach (where his B&B was as well)

A relative was a member of Hope Street Masonic Hall in Liverpool - and new all the famous members but he was a very good friend of Sir Ken Dodd

1 hour ago, discobob said:

If we are doing claim to fame by acquaintance - My Dad used to stay in digs in London above a cafe that the Krays used to frequent - he used to see them quite regularly.

My Grandad fixed Jonny Saint's car for him and ended up being called Uncle Tom by him (you would have to have been a fan of 70/80's wrestling) - and through that I got to know him - last time I saw him though was 93 when he had a corner shop by Pleasure Beach (where his B&B was as well)

A relative was a member of Hope Street Masonic Hall in Liverpool - and new all the famous members but he was a very good friend of Sir Ken Dodd

Jonny saint versus Mick Manus..........christ that was a long time ago ...thank you for reminding me ........NOT

Kendo Nagasaki.....dont make me laugh....all them old ladys around ringside battering the **** out of them.....they were worse than the bloody wrestlers..:lol:

14 hours ago, ditchman said:

Jonny saint versus Mick Manus..........christ that was a long time ago ...thank you for reminding me ........NOT

Kendo Nagasaki.....dont make me laugh....all them old ladys around ringside battering the **** out of them.....they were worse than the bloody wrestlers..

My Grandparents had a caravan at Fleetwood - we would go and watch the wrestling at the Tower a couple of times a year

Another old time wrestler I knew was a neighbour of my grandparents, father to my Dad's best man and I knew his Granddaughter as well - Billy Beach - https://www.wrestlingheritage.co.uk/bbeech.htm

He knew all the wrestlers back when I was young and had all their numbers in a little book that I remember him showing me.