Fishing rod storage ideas

walshie

I'm looking for any ideas on how best to store fishing rods in the garage. 

I've seen online some ideas for making rod racks and some shop bought ones, but they all seem to be for made up rods but I'd like to store some broken down in their rod sleeves and some made up. 

There's going to be about 8-10 rods still in their sleeves and 4 made up rods & reels.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The rods I have in sleeves have a hanger loop (like a garment hanger) and I just use ordinary cup hooks.

Typically none of my sleeves have loops on them. 

3 minutes ago, henry d said:

Something similar to snooker cue holders? They do a clipped one and one that has wheels at the bottom. 

I saw some like that. Trouble is if the top is wide enough to accept a 3 piece rod in its sleeve, the made up rods will fall out.

2 minutes ago, walshie said:

Typically none of my sleeves have loops on them. 

Persuade someone to sew on a loop of cloth tape? 

I have a few that were my fathers like this and all have loops.  He used to hang them with brass picture hooks from the picture rail moulding in his study.  My grandfather's rod sleeve has no loop, but that has an aluminium tube.

20 minutes ago, walshie said:

I saw some like that. Trouble is if the top is wide enough to accept a 3 piece rod in its sleeve, the made up rods will fall out.

The other thing we had at the fire station was one that had a long rectangular box at the bottom each end of the box had a strip of ply running up the wall for 18" to 2' and at the top was a bungy strap. The butt's of cues went into the box and the bungy strap held them in above, if you had a ply base separated into sections that held 2-4 similar type rods (say boat in one, spinning in another,  beach in another etc) and a bungy or bar to hold each section of similar rods in.

40 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Persuade someone to sew on a loop of cloth tape? 

I have a few that were my fathers like this and all have loops.  He used to hang them with brass picture hooks from the picture rail moulding in his study.  My grandfather's rod sleeve has no loop, but that has an aluminium tube.

Well yes, but then I still have the made up rods to think about. Might end up with half hanging and half standing.

Some good ideas there chaps. Thanks.

20 minutes ago, henry d said:

The other thing we had at the fire station was one that had a long rectangular box at the bottom each end of the box had a strip of ply running up the wall for 18" to 2' and at the top was a bungy strap. The butt's of cues went into the box and the bungy strap held them in above, if you had a ply base separated into sections that held 2-4 similar type rods (say boat in one, spinning in another,  beach in another etc) and a bungy or bar to hold each section of similar rods in.

👍

4 hours ago, walshie said:

I've seen online some ideas for making rod racks and some shop bought ones, but they all seem to be for made up rods but I'd like to store some broken down in their rod sleeves and some made up. 

There's going to be about 8-10 rods still in their sleeves and 4 made up rods & reels.

Mine live on top of my ladder (which is hung on the wall) may get round to some simple guttering, will do the trick

I keep made-up rods on hooks on the wall. Note, these are all rods for boat fishing, so I'm guessing shorter than you use, but would work just as well for longer two piece rods. For rods in bags/tubes, I stick them in a 20L bucket. Not the most elegant solution, but it works and is space efficient.

IMG-5438.jpg

IMG-5439.jpg

10 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Hang HORIZONTALLY from the rafters in the garage.

Hangers on the ceiling for me too.

Screw eye into the plasterboard and string. Loop for the butt and tie the other end. Elephants foot step to reach them.

IMG_6630.jpeg.6f7af6e9b02dd960a3ac9167b6ec1a86.jpeg

IMG_6631.jpeg.e6e78fca1c0f48191cceb986ca4c2bb4.jpeg

Made up rods sit on a timber baton at one end and then tied up at the other end similar to the rod and reels in sleeves, they are just spaced closer together without the sleeves.

Edited by Goldfish

8 hours ago, walshie said:

Spolied for choice here. I've got some 4x1 and some downpipe. Going to see what I can knock up once 'er indoors has stopped finding me things to do. 

she's up to something.............keep your eye on her ...dont let your gaurd down....:ninja:

On 08/10/2022 at 13:47, walshie said:

Ropes on cup hooks, one at each end and lay the rods on them. I have approx. 30 rods in sleeves and holdalls hanging from my shed roof.