Eating in the cafe.

samboy

Hi gang.

It is cheaper for me to eat in the cafe everyday. Average price of a meal with a cuppa is about £7.50. 

By the time i drive to Tesco's, buy the food, prepare and cook the food and then the washing up the

cafe wins by a mile. Anyone think like this ?.

18 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

It is cheaper for me to eat in the cafe everyday. Average price of a meal with a cuppa is about £7.50. 

By the time i drive to Tesco's, buy the food, prepare and cook the food and then the washing up the

sounds fine until you have been thro the menu 5 times

9 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

No way, if you do that every day that's £37.50, that buys a lot of food, what are you eating in the cafe typically?.

Today i had shepherds pie peas  cabbage and boiled potatoes.  There is a good varied menu in there. 

2 minutes ago, samboy said:

Today i had shepherds pie peas  cabbage and boiled potatoes.  There is a good varied menu in there. 

OK, Steak mince 500g, spuds, peas and a cabbage = £1.80 + £1.00+.60+.55 if you add mash for the sheppards pie plus an onion add another £1, total of under £5, this will do 2 meals with loads of veg left over (this is assuming it's beef mince ,add another £1.50 if it's Lamb) so tops under £6.50 per 2=£3.25/day. Long time since I did maths but I think I must be somewhere near. I would cook the lot and freeze half.

Well while you mention it,

Yesterday i knocked up 4 Duck, red wine, and red onion pies, there in the freezer (just realised i forgot to add the mushrooms)

I have about 15lb of various home made venison sausages, in the freezer, 6 venison burgers left, home cured bacon (not by me) eggs from a perm.

The ducks free from last season, venison cost me 65 pence (the cost of a 22 game king, powder, primer and 1 minute reloading, 3 Hog hanks probably cost me £20, seasoning £7.50 

2 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

No …

I’d download a few episodes of ‘Eat Well for Less’ and teach yourself some basic home economics.

4 hours ago, islandgun said:

^ this also enjoy all aspects of food, including preparation

DITTO, Tonight I cooked Tandoori Chicken (Breast, 2/person) with Zuccini Sabzi, Basmati Rice for 6 people - superb if I say so myself and all from scratch. Total cost was £20 ish plus my time, love cooking so that's an added bonus. Onions I grow myself and Fresh Lemons from the fridge another 20p. Normally a £1 cheaper as I grow Corriander in the Summer, but I have to buy it this time of the year. 

Edited by bruno22rf

3 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

DITTO, Tonight I cooked Tandoori Chicken (Breast, 2/person) with Zuccini Sabzi, Basmati Rice for 6 people - superb if I say so myself and all from scratch. Total cost was £14 ish plus my time, love cooking so that's an added bonus. Onions I grow myself and Fresh Lemons from the fridge another 20p. Normally a £1 cheaper as I grow Corriander in the Summer, but I have to buy it this time of the year. 

i love tandorri in any form...makes a loverly vegy curry..

7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i love tandorri in any form...makes a loverly vegy curry..

Pataks do a great paste but the medium is only available in 2.5kg jars, you can get it for around £17 if you shop around, bought my last lot from Mulaco. I make my own but the Pataks is a great cop out and tastes superb, a lot of people dont realise that a lot of Indian Restuarants use Pataks products. Got a new jar coming in the next few days, can post you some if you want to try it.

Edited by bruno22rf

21 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Pataks do a great paste but the medium is only available in 2.5kg jars, you can get it for around £17 if you shop around, bought my last lot from Mulaco. I make my own but the Pataks is a great cop out and tastes superb, a lot of people dont realise that a lot of Indian Restuarants use Pataks products. Got a new jar coming in the next few days, can post you some if you want to try it.

i bought 500g of powder (rough ground) off amazon.....i decant it off into big jam jars...

Last night I couldn't be bothered cooking so did a Sainsbury's pizza in the oven, .43p, grated some Wensleydale over it and sliced a tomato on that. Still most of the £1.70 cheese left and only 1 tomato out of the punnet. Orange squash to drink and a few malted milk biscuits after. Biscuits .35p per pack, squash .45p per bottle. Including the 8 minutes of gas, still under £1. 

£7.50 for cafe food is an extravagant outlay from my meagre pension.

28 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Last night I couldn't be bothered cooking so did a Sainsbury's pizza in the oven, .43p, grated some Wensleydale over it and sliced a tomato on that. Still most of the £1.70 cheese left and only 1 tomato out of the punnet. Orange squash to drink and a few malted milk biscuits after. Biscuits .35p per pack, squash .45p per bottle. Including the 8 minutes of gas, still under £1. 

£7.50 for cafe food is an extravagant outlay from my meagre pension.

How many is "a few" malted milk biscuits? If i have a cuppa and open a packet of them I can find myself going through them like a packet of crisps!

On 10/10/2022 at 14:12, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Well I agree with the other comments on here but I have the time to mess about preparing snap and I enjoy doing it. If you don't enjoy preparing it and don't have the time you carry on. I can understand why you do it 👍

I think the OP might be considering the cost of using the cooker too. I can't get through to my other half how wasteful it is to heat an entire oven for just 6 roast spuds and a gas ring for veg and another for gravy when she could have used one ring to boil spuds and a veg steamer on top and skip the gravy.

Oh and she don't get the benefits of using a heavy glass lid on a saucepan and low gas rather than higher gas setting with the lid up and pan offset so it don't boil over. I despair but maybe the lockdowns gave us a reduced tolerance of each other lol.

Edited by Dave-G

11 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I can't get through to my other half how wasteful it is to heat an entire oven for just 6 roast spuds

In theory you are right.  I'm (also in theory) even worse because I heat a whole oven for one baked spud sometimes ........... but it isn't as bad as you think (I have made measurements!)

My oven uses 2.5 KW maximum - such as when warming up.  It's 'average' is about 700-800W as it is well insulated (A rated) and the element switches on and off as needed.  The element is on about 25% of the time the oven is on for the oven at 180 Centigrade.

So to bake a spud, about 10 minutes at 2.5KW to warm up then 80 minutes at say 750W = 1.42 KWhrs  - which is currently about £0.34 - so 50p in electricity to cook a spud.  Will use virtually the same electricity for 6 spuds.  - So your 6 spuds will cost about 10p each to cook.  Note that for the colder months of the year the heat wasted from the oven ends up as useful heat in the kitchen anyway (but is wasted when not wanted in summer!)

I would guess to boil them - would be about 20 minutes at (say) 1 KW average, so 0.33 KWhr is about 10p for the panful.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 05:39, bruno22rf said:

Next time you buy spices try Natco online, postage is cheap and the spices are superb.

Bruno - I just wanted to say thanks for that suggestion.  I love my curries and usually stock up on bulk spices etc from the 'proper' world food  aisle whenever I'm driving past a supermarket in Keighley or Bradford (once in a blue moon) - but with that selection and delivery costs - I'll be putting in an order later tonight 👍 Thanks again