Smocks: any suggestions?

chrisjpainter

I'm looking for a new smock. The one that caught my eye first was the Ridgeline Pintail Explorer II about £90. Other options would be the Monsoon and...anything else anyone wants to suggest?

I did also se the Game Stalking Smock. Cheap, for sure, but does anyone own it? Packed with features, but the waterproofing and breathability figures are worse than the Pintail II. All suggestions and personal experience gratefully received!

Game Talking Smock:

image.png.9e3bc6f1c67a8f945d897d3889824abd.png

Know two lads who both have Ridgeline jackets and neither is happy with them. One of them was out with me today and was complaining of it leaking in….mind you, horizontal sleet will find a way! 😀

I have a Country Covers ( always forget what they’re called now ! ) smock which has never let me down. It is wind and waterproof but doesn’t have a lot of features; the chest pocket is 3-way. I mainly use it for decoying as it’s light and wind proof. 

5 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Have a look at Buffalo

I could never wear Buffalo clothing. Every day I'd see the logo and think, 'yup. That's a bison, not a buffalo.' A bison's more closely related to a cow than it is to a buffalo. If they'd made the logo look like a Dexter, I could have been on board...

26 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

I could never wear Buffalo clothing. Every day I'd see the logo and think, 'yup. That's a bison, not a buffalo.' A bison's more closely related to a cow than it is to a buffalo. If they'd made the logo look like a Dexter, I could have been on board...

Haha absolutely bang on now you mention it! 😂

23 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

Haha absolutely bang on now you mention it! 😂

You'll never look at yours in the same way!

I'm not great with logos. Genuinely, it was only about a year ago that I worked out the Browning logo was a buck/stag. Before that I just thought it was a chap with a crazy headdress/hat with his arm across his body.

image.png.0ada6795554bb08949192d39b257667f.png

22 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

You'll never look at yours in the same way!

I'm not great with logos. Genuinely, it was only about a year ago that I worked out the Browning logo was a buck/stag. Before that I just thought it was a chap with a crazy headdress/hat with his arm across his body.

image.png.0ada6795554bb08949192d39b257667f.png

😄Yeah, I can see that too now!  some can be really confusing. It’s both a stag/Buck and a hind/doe. The black outline is the male, the white inner the female. It’s a clever, well thought out logo I think. 

19 minutes ago, oowee said:

If your moving about you need good breathability / ventilation. They can be warm but a real sweat bag if not.

Yep. I brought one back from New Zealand but it was a pain to put on and get off over my head and as said you could not open it up on a long walk/drag. I would not have another of any make, prefer a good coat.

38 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep. I brought one back from New Zealand but it was a pain to put on and get off over my head and as said you could not open it up on a long walk/drag. I would not have another of any make, prefer a good coat.

The Ridgeline Pintail II's got a side half-length zip. Used for ventilation, but also for making it a doddle to get on and off.

This will get a lot of use as my jacket for Scouts, so not so much shooting.

37 minutes ago, tweedledee said:

Beretta..I love mine

How warm is it? I tend to retain heat pretty well, so don't want something overly insulated!

8 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

The Ridgeline Pintail II's got a side half-length zip. Used for ventilation, but also for making it a doddle to get on and off.

This will get a lot of use as my jacket for Scouts, so not so much shooting.

How warm is it? I tend to retain heat pretty well, so don't want something overly insulated!

Not the warmest if standing still..ok for lots of walking 

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/10/2022 at 19:30, Scully said:

Know two lads who both have Ridgeline jackets and neither is happy with them.

I've had the Mallard jacket for a few years now and it's great, not up to beating but for walking about and sitting at squirrel feeders it's not let me down, and it does rain sometimes in the Lakes 😅

On 13/11/2022 at 15:26, Mice! said:

I've had the Mallard jacket for a few years now and it's great, not up to beating but for walking about and sitting at squirrel feeders it's not let me down, and it does rain sometimes in the Lakes 😅

You’re right about the rain in the Lakes! 
Turns out Ridgeline make both waterproof and non waterproof clothing, so I’ve been told, so buyer beware.