Weather

Walker570

I was looking at the forecast for the future few weeks  and onwards and it struck me that it was so similar to the hot spell in the 70s and then we had rain rain rain late autumn and into January with fields like bogs, tractors buried to the axles.    I remember shooting down at the Holland & Holland clay ground then driving up to Norh Wales for a days driven grouse only to discover the whole moor ablaze.  That was 1976 I believe.  Is 2022 going to be a repeat of that weather.  No doubt back in '76 it was global warming as was the summer of 1952.

42 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I was looking at the forecast for the future few weeks  and onwards and it struck me that it was so similar to the hot spell in the 70s and then we had rain rain rain late autumn and into January with fields like bogs, tractors buried to the axles.    I remember shooting down at the Holland & Holland clay ground then driving up to Norh Wales for a days driven grouse only to discover the whole moor ablaze.  That was 1976 I believe.  Is 2022 going to be a repeat of that weather.  No doubt back in '76 it was global warming as was the summer of 1952.

No I don't think it will.

Thoroughly enjoying this lovely weather, great for shooting and photography,

Up to know it have been a nigh on perfect Aututm , once we had some rain in September the tractors could get back on the rock hard fields , the drilling's have gone in on a first class seed bed , the spuds were taking off in dry conditions and the sugar beet is looking a lot better than it did a few weeks ago , all in all , no complaints .

Today is a day out of the top drawer , at a little after 7am I set off on my walk down the marsh and it was a bit chilly and misty at first , the sun over the town started to show through the mist and you could tell it was going to be a decent day , within 20 minutes the mist was all but gone and it was a joy to be out in the fresh air , now it is a clear Blue sky with not a cloud to be seen , how long will it last ? , the longer the better say I :good:

Last Saturday started off wet, then up in the moors the sun got out. Within an hour we were all standing braced against horizontal sleet. Then the sun came out. 
This morning we had a vast cloud inversion, which makes it appear as if the Lakes had moved a tad closer overnight. Wonderful. Now the sun is out and it’s a fabulous morning. 
A mate is always full of woe when bad weather is forecast on shoot days. 
‘Wear one of those really expensive coats you have mate’. 🙂

With there being not much action with shooting this last few days I’ve been tidying the garden, a few times over the last week or so the thermometer on the garden wall as been hitting (in the sun) around 75f-82f, lovely weather but think its due to change latter this week, wet rain.

Edited by old'un

Not sure we have seen global warming in Yorkshire - all the reservoir are very empty apart from those that are filled from the rivers that Yorkshire water will be making money on selling to other water authorities!?!

I have noticed that my flat cap and whippet have both remained very dry throughout September and October.

first proper cold snap and valley fog this morning I predicted the weather will turn 29th October out with the mad spaniel on a walked up grouse day or 6th Nov fist day beating !?! 

living in Yorkshire you always dress for the worst suspect the weather has to turn at some point my farmer friend has just dropped 3 fields last week for silage ! 

Agriv8 

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

How dare you, a 'fowler. say that!! You should be wishing for hailing North Easterlies with a touch of snow. 😃😉

Up to know Paul I haven't took my gun out after a duck as the fields were bone dry ( still are ) and most of them had loads of horses and cattle , now the horses are being taken off  I can at long last start walking around checking out if the low bits have got any water . just been down again before dinner and walked the track where you once came next to the wood , apart from Pigeons getting out of the trees the first bag filler would had been a cock Pheasant that got out of tree and glided across the marsh dead in front of me , then a bit furthur on a pair of Gadwall got out of the dyke , these looked like this years birds and they would have got up out of range if I had fired at the Pheasant , then getting towards the end of the track another crafty ole cock Pheasant jumped up from the side of the dyke , all went away to see another day and hopefully in about two weeks they might not so lucky .

Then I can say goodbye to the Indian Summer we are having at the moment , and hope for the ole fowlers prayer start to come true , The fouler the weather , the better the fowling .

My 75th is looming up next month and my ambition is to get at least one goose with my new gun after my birthday , watch this space :lol:

Hah! Yes forgot that sniwfall but we still had plenty of rain.  PLUS we still have plenty of time for that snow fall....

7 hours ago, Scully said:

Last Saturday started off wet, then up in the moors the sun got out. Within an hour we were all standing braced against horizontal sleet. Then the sun came out. 
This morning we had a vast cloud inversion, which makes it appear as if the Lakes had moved a tad closer overnight. Wonderful. Now the sun is out and it’s a fabulous morning. 
A mate is always full of woe when bad weather is forecast on shoot days. 
‘Wear one of those really expensive coats you have mate’. 🙂

Average sort of Cumbrian weather then Scully always seemed like that when I visited even in mid August. Still lovely country and miss my walks there on the moors for a few brace.

13 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Hah! Yes forgot that sniwfall but we still had plenty of rain.  PLUS we still have plenty of time for that snow fall....

Average sort of Cumbrian weather then Scully always seemed like that when I visited even in mid August. Still lovely country and miss my walks there on the moors for a few brace.

🙂 Yeah, just quite normal for Cumbria. If you don’t like what’s happening currently, give it five minutes and it’ll change! 

Yorkshire can shift in a matter of hours.

once got quizzed by a chap why is parked my van away from everyone else up on the moors for a days beating !

my reply because I’ve been beating on these moors for 30 + years. It’s where my grandad and my dad parked before me it’s hard standing under the grass and the vans pointing down hill if the snow comes hard ( which it did !?! ) !

love them moors what ever the weather fond memories spent with my Grandfather leading me astray { so my mum said ! }

An old saying bodes well - these no such thing as the wrong weather just the wrong preparation! L

1 minute ago, Scully said:

🙂 Yeah, just quite normal for Cumbria. If you don’t like what’s happening currently, give it five minutes and it’ll change! 

12 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

2 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Yorkshire can shift in a matter of hours.

once got quizzed by a chap why is parked my van away from everyone else up on the moors for a days beating !

my reply because I’ve been beating on these moors for 30 + years. It’s where my grandad and my dad parked before me it’s hard standing under the grass and the vans pointing down hill if the snow comes hard ( which it did !?! ) !

love them moors what ever the weather fond memories spent with my Grandfather leading me astray { so my mum said ! }

An old saying bodes well - these no such thing as the wrong weather just the wrong preparation! L

Yes. The moors are stunning anytime of year. 
image.jpeg.f4e3a691200558b6e19260649470cd1c.jpegimage.jpeg.870e457a156fd9ee65f0f5089144f5c9.jpegThese two were taken 1st Jan 2020 over Hartside. First is looking down towards Garrigill with Nenthead over the horizon, and back up at what is known locally as ‘the jail’. 
My sketchbook has a note in it stating there was a ‘windchill of something ******* ridiculous!’ 

Edited by Scully

It is certainly still very dry and quite mild around here.  Last year (October 2021) the (unheated inside average) temperature on this day (19th October) was 60 degrees F.  This year in the same place it is today 57 degrees F - and that is quite a long slow average being in a large masonry built hall.  It seems it is overall slightly cooler than last year.

Last year the heating was turned on on 22nd October, though a fire had been lit several evenings in October.

This year, it is unlikely the heating will be on for the next week or so (based on forecasts) and the fire hasn't been lit yet.

I suspect you are right and the rainfall 'average' will correct itself by a very wet period.

• 4 months later...
23 minutes ago, ditchman said:

We are lacking water ....rain and a lot of it ....in norfolk we alwus yuset to sai boi..............."Febuary fill dyke.."..........and that aint happening......we will be looking at reduced yeilds and water shortages agin this year..............

Talking to the farm foreman last week he was already saying that the shortage of water could become serious this year if it don't rain pretty heavy before to long , now a week later we still haven't had any amount of rain , last night the weatherman on the box was saying we are heading for a record on the driest ever February with no foreseeable rain in the last few days of this month .

We are only in the second month of the year and already we could be getting a record , I wander how more records are on the way for 2023 ??

9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Talking to the farm foreman last week he was already saying that the shortage of water could become serious this year if it don't rain pretty heavy before to long , now a week later we still haven't had any amount of rain , last night the weatherman on the box was saying we are heading for a record on the driest ever February with no foreseeable rain in the last few days of this month .

We are only in the second month of the year and already we could be getting a record , I wander how more records are on the way for 2023 ??

I said this in an earlier post of how dry the fields are, some have got cracks in them like you see in mid summer, having said that we will most likely get one of the wettest summers on record. :yes:

41 minutes ago, old'un said:

I said this in an earlier post of how dry the fields are, some have got cracks in them like you see in mid summer, having said that we will most likely get one of the wettest summers on record. :yes:

The talk lately was another Beast From The East is on its way , this week we Spring like conditions with it reaching 17 degrees , I am no gardener but at the moment we have got plenty of Snowdrops , Daffodils , Crocuses and my Cherry tree is in bloom , the water have dried out on the marshes and we are still in February , yes we have got time for another cold spell but the weatherman on the dinnertime news said it is going to be a dry weekend and the same to at least next Tuesday, which will then put us nearly into March .

You will very soon see the Rape growing a inch or two while sitting in your motor having a coffee .      MM