Royal Mail

Minky

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Andy H said:

I said to him this is a first and he replied "They are trying to catch up but he wasn't complaining as he is getting paid for it".

Marvellous way to kill off your firms business, strike on a Friday and get paid extra to sort out the subsequent mess on a Sunday!

The world really has gone mad!

No so much knocking Royal Mail, but I sold a gun recently and the buyer decided in his wisdom to send me his certificate by RM. I advised him that if he was to use them, to send it special recorded and tracked delivery. He ignored this advice and sent it just first class untracked etc. even being aware of the impending postal strikes. He seemed to think that the extra two quid or so was extortionate.

it was posted on 28th.November and still has not been received by me despite me having received other mail posted since this date using 2nd class mail. As a consequence, his gun is sitting at his RFD’s with him unable to pick it up without return of his certificate !!

You just cannot help some people. I can see him having to apply for a replacement certificate with however long that will take.
I am assuming that the necessity for me to advise the police of the sale of the gun within 7 days will, in this instance, not be necessary until such time that I have the full details from his certificate. Any advice on this would be gratefully received.

OB

6 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Any advice on this would be gratefully received.

My inclination would be to advise your Firearms dept. of what has happened on a 'just in case' basis.  Since the item is with the RFD at the other end. all is 'secure', but having a notification on record can do no harm as everyone has complied with the rules.

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

My inclination would be to advise your Firearms dept. of what has happened on a 'just in case' basis.  Since the item is with the RFD at the other end. all is 'secure', but having a notification on record can do no harm as everyone has complied with the rules.

Thank you John. Good advice indeed. I will do that today.

Many thanks.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

No so much knocking Royal Mail, but I sold a gun recently and the buyer decided in his wisdom to send me his certificate by RM. I advised him that if he was to use them, to send it special recorded and tracked delivery. He ignored this advice and sent it just first class untracked etc. even being aware of the impending postal strikes. He seemed to think that the extra two quid or so was extortionate.

it was posted on 28th.November and still has not been received by me despite me having received other mail posted since this date using 2nd class mail. As a consequence, his gun is sitting at his RFD’s with him unable to pick it up without return of his certificate !!

You just cannot help some people. I can see him having to apply for a replacement certificate with however long that will take.
I am assuming that the necessity for me to advise the police of the sale of the gun within 7 days will, in this instance, not be necessary until such time that I have the full details from his certificate. Any advice on this would be gratefully received.

OB

Morning Chris . The postal service by R M lately have been a total nightmare and it don't matter how you send some items it is a lottery weather the person waiting at the other end will receive it or not.

I have been having a clear out lately and in the 6 or 7 years I have been buying and selling bits on the bay I have only had one parcel go missing and that was before they had a tracking number on the receipt , now I have got three refund requests as the parcels haven't arrived after around two weeks and two of them are signed for , all you get when you put the tracking number in is , we will update when your parcel have been delivered :hmm:, when that will be , who knows ? , thankfully the three people waiting are all understanding and I have told them if they don't turn up by this coming Sunday I will give them all back a full refund .

All the best    John.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have now notified them by email, as you suggest and have an automated reply so at least it is on record, so thanks again John.

46 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Morning Chris . The postal service by R M lately have been a total nightmare and it don't matter how you send some items it is a lottery weather the person waiting at the other end will receive it or not.

I have been having a clear out lately and in the 6 or 7 years I have been buying and selling bits on the bay I have only had one parcel go missing and that was before they had a tracking number on the receipt , now I have got three refund requests as the parcels haven't arrived after around two weeks and two of them are signed for , all you get when you put the tracking number in is , we will update when your parcel have been delivered :hmm:, when that will be , who knows ? , thankfully the three people waiting are all understanding and I have told them if they don't turn up by this coming Sunday I will give them all back a full refund .

All the best    John.

The postal strike/s just this side of Xmas and beyond certainly won`t gain the support of the general public, similarly the train strikes. Apologies to any posties on here but when I was working (commercial heating and ventilation engineer) and worked in sorting offices, I found the workers in those places were the most militant that I`ve ever come across. In contrast our local posties are pretty good.

8 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I have now notified them by email, as you suggest and have an automated reply so at least it is on record

In the event that your purchaser has to declare his certificate lost when applying for a replacement, the loss and why (and possibly to whom) he sent it will be brought to the attention of his Firearms Dept.  Having it on record from your end will just cover you off as 'being helpful'.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not a fan of the service provided by Royal Mail, as pointed out plenty of times above by others it is 9 times out of ten sub par bordering on shocking….. shocking in a good way today though. I ordered a pair of Hoggs of fife struther trousers on 27th dec with a hopeful delivery estimate of 29th dec, then as expected received an email stating they would be delivered on the 31st…..no issues (but in my opinion still a hopeful guesstimate assuming the package isn’t lost in transit) low an behold an unexpected knock at the door 5 minutes ago and I have my parcel containing my trousers! 

that is the type of service I expect swift and smooth…..Royal Mail would gain far more respect if all deliveries where like this one 

On 09/12/2022 at 13:46, JohnfromUK said:

I note that the local Firearms Dept are now requiring all post to them to be recorded delivery.  I posted one to them today (notification of transfer) - surprised Post Office was open, but it was - and it was £2.08 for a second class simple letter on that service.

Update: This was delivered on 30th December, so 21 calendar days (about 14 or 15 'working' days allowing 3 for Christmas and counting Saturdays as 'working')

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

We  received four Christmas cards yesterday 

My annual house insurance renewal pack (due to be paid next week) posted 1st week in December (I had to ring them to get the amount due) still hasn't arrived. 

In theory, if not paid = no cover.  I have spoken to them and will pay (I pay by bank to bank transfer anyway) the amount told me by phone call but I hope people don't end up with no cover due to documents 'lost in post delays'.  They say they normally post one month before renewal date ........ to allow for changes to be arranged and people to arrange payments.

On 12/12/2022 at 11:10, JohnfromUK said:

In the event that your purchaser has to declare his certificate lost when applying for a replacement, the loss and why (and possibly to whom) he sent it will be brought to the attention of his Firearms Dept.  Having it on record from your end will just cover you off as 'being helpful'.

Bit of an update on this. His certificate finally arrived at my house on 16th.December and was filled out etc and sent back by recorded and tracked delivery the same day and was received back by him within two days to enable him to pick the gun up from his RFD. He is very pleased with the gun, but unfortunately living in Scotland he is currently snowbound and is unable to try the gun out, so I feel a bit sorry for him. All the necessary paperwork has now been completed.

OB

On 12/12/2022 at 11:10, JohnfromUK said:

On 07/01/2023 at 09:30, JohnfromUK said:

My annual house insurance renewal pack (due to be paid next week) posted 1st week in December (I had to ring them to get the amount due) still hasn't arrived.

Arrived today, 9th January.  Letter was written 26th November, so roughly 6 weeks in total!  It had to come about 15 miles.

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I wonder if it went via somewhere else, like Glasgow?

No evidence of that.  Postmark is for 1st class letter (A5 envelope size) and dated 19th December - so it was presumably 'stored' somewhere between being written and postmarked.  I am assuming this was not at my insurers premises because they are usually VERY prompt - especially so when (as in this case) seeking payment!

My local office (where they usually write/post from) is 15 miles or so away - and head office is only Stratford upon Avon - which is about 25 miles away.