A good use of police resources ?

Rewulf

Rufford Ford , a often swollen stream in the north of Notts , where idiots try to cross , often 2 ft deep water , and in the process , destroy their cars.
Crowds gather to watch and video these attempts, and an on site recovery vehicle pulls them out to much mirth.
Youtube abounds with hundreds of videos.

Until now.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Rufford Ford , a often swollen stream in the north of Notts , where idiots try to cross , often 2 ft deep water , and in the process , destroy their cars.
Crowds gather to watch and video these attempts, and an on site recovery vehicle pulls them out to much mirth.
Youtube abounds with hundreds of videos.

Until now.

I feel sure that the 2 Bobbies would agree with you and I very much doubt they are there by choice  !  

Nope very poor use of police resources. If people want to try there luck thats on them, but I don't think the farmers should have to drive around the long way, wasting expensive fuel when they usually have the vehicles designed to cross the ford. And in these days of emissions conscious people, its not a good look to sit all day with your engine running just blocking a road.

From what I understand if you crash or come a cropper on a closed road your insurance doesn't have to pay out, so I say put up a road closed sign and let people make a tit of themselves. Maybe when word gets around of the consequences of wrecking the car people won't be so keen on trying to become Internet famous

22 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

From what I understand if you crash or come a cropper on a closed road your insurance doesn't have to pay out, so I say put up a road closed sign and let people make a tit of themselves. Maybe when word gets around of the consequences of wrecking the car people won't be so keen on trying to become Internet famous

That's it, a simple sign stating deep water, proceed at your own risk, definitely not coppers sat there doing squat.

20 minutes ago, Mice! said:

That's it, a simple sign stating deep water, proceed at your own risk, definitely not coppers sat there doing squat.

The signage is already there, but surely theres another way to do this ? 
PCSOs or a gate of some description that gets closed when the water gets too high ?
The yellow marker tells you how deep it is in the middle, and once it gets past a foot , thats normally the limit for most cars, as when they drive through too fast , the water splashes up and into the air filter intake, plus immersing your electrics is never a great idea for modern cars, we dont even pressure wash engines these days unless absolutely necessary .
But 2 cops there to stop idiots , when the water isnt even high, when rural crime in the area is out of control ?

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

The signage is already there, but surely theres another way to do this ? 
PCSOs or a gate of some description that gets closed when the water gets too high ?
The yellow marker tells you how deep it is in the middle, and once it gets past a foot , thats normally the limit for most cars, as when they drive through too fast , the water splashes up and into the air filter intake, plus immersing your electrics is never a great idea for modern cars, we dont even pressure wash engines these days unless absolutely necessary .
But 2 cops there to stop idiots , when the water isnt even high, when rural crime in the area is out of control ?

Just when you think you've made something idiot proof , bingo they make some better idiots .

This is why the aliens fly straight past us .

36 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

Is this not a highways issue. Police should be replaced ASAP once decision to close road is made. Looks like a classic other agency shafting the police.

Looks like someone up the police chain of command trying to make a name for themselves (probably the same type of officer who thinks sending the boys round your house is in order when you get someones pronouns wrong on Facebook)

Its a complete waste of police resources , and if its such an issue , build a bleeding bridge over it for gods sake , or is that too simple ?

1 hour ago, Diver One said:

Watching the Rufford  Ford videos is my guilty pleasure!. It's amazing the number of cretins that hydro lock their engines there

milions of pounds worth of damage. They seem to think if you go fast then the water won't go through the grille

Mine too

Some absolute tits trying to get across, but I feel there is a little too much goading going on too. 

Having seen a few of the videos from there, a couple of things struck me.

The absolute level of stupidity displayed by some of the drivers.

I mean, what job pays enough to be able to afford a decent Bmw/Audi etc, yet requires so little intelligence that you think driving into deep water at speed is a good idea?

And how has no one lost control and injured anyone in the crowd of, mostly kids, that gather to watch?

It was inevitable it was going to get closed, but probably not a good use of Police resources.

Perhaps they could head down here and try Violets lane at Furneux Pelham, if they want a good drowning.

7 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Nope very poor use of police resources. If people want to try there luck thats on them, but I don't think the farmers should have to drive around the long way, wasting expensive fuel when they usually have the vehicles designed to cross the ford. And in these days of emissions conscious people, its not a good look to sit all day with your engine running just blocking a road.

If you do not have the engine running on a Police Vehicle, the Police radio will quickly flatten the battery. I do think that neither of those Bobbies want to be there. I can recall having to patrol a particular piece of road all evening acting as a car park attendant, for some local Councillor. 

Edited by Westley

I had an old Ford Fiesta 1.4 sport - no powered steering or anything that thought it was a submarine - it could go through anything - low gear, keep it slow and don't change gear as the exhaust will suck water up. I had a bow wave coming up to my side windows once - still made it through while traversing expensive cars conked out in the water.

A lot of the then (circa 2002) modern cars had (or did if they have learnt their lessons) air intake quite low down so no matter what you did you got water in

3 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

I think a police car is a bit ott but then they have been tasked with sitting there,not their fault, they get given the job doubt it would take long to get hold of some concrete bollards to block the road off so that they could go back to the warm station and have a coffee 

Just a couple of concrete pipes dropped in to the flow and then loads of hardcore on the top, he presto, a 21st century solution to a 16th century problem.    :rolleyes:

How THICK are these drivers?

I hadn’t actually watched the video posted above. 
Have just done so and couldn’t watch in its entirety. As soon as I saw ‘audit’ I knew it was one of those people who are determined to illicit a response from whoever their are filming by claiming to be ‘auditing’ and using their internet gleaned legal knowledge, to be ******. 

Why would you deliberately film a Police station of suchlike in the hope of some ‘negative’ interaction? Doesn’t matter if you are ‘legally’ entitled to film in public places, it’s just not right too. 

Not sure they would appreciate me ‘auditing’ outside their house🤔

10 hours ago, Westley said:

If you do not have the engine running on a Police Vehicle, the Police radio will quickly flatten the battery. I do think that neither of those Bobbies want to be there. I can recall having to patrol a particular piece of road all evening acting as a car park attendant, for some local Councillor. 

The local councillor should have been told where to go.

29 minutes ago, discobob said:

A road with a former senior councillor is on the priority gritting list - even though it isn't

And THAT sums it all up  !   Wonder how many local Councillors live near this ford    ?

Edited by Westley

2 hours ago, Jaymo said:

I hadn’t actually watched the video posted above. 
Have just done so and couldn’t watch in its entirety. As soon as I saw ‘audit’ I knew it was one of those people who are determined to illicit a response from whoever their are filming by claiming to be ‘auditing’ and using their internet gleaned legal knowledge, to be ******. 

Why would you deliberately film a Police station of suchlike in the hope of some ‘negative’ interaction? Doesn’t matter if you are ‘legally’ entitled to film in public places, it’s just not right too. 

Not sure they would appreciate me ‘auditing’ outside their house🤔

is it me? or do those dreadlocks look so wrong on him, unless he’s a member of LACS?

As you say, his approach and questions were almost hoping for a negative reaction from the police officer.