Mystery item.

ratchers

On 16/12/2022 at 15:16, ratchers said:

Bought a job lot recently and this brass thing was in it,measures 8.5" when closed,hinged at one end,slots to one and small drilled shallow holes to the other.

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

Well this has been doing my nut in because I have seen one and couldn’t remember where having a pint with our syndicate for Christmas last night it came to me when someone asked if I’d heard from an old gun and freind !

it’s a braille guide used with a brass dowel or pin the guns mum was blind and when we were growing up she used to write to her husband a merchant seaman on one !

FF30F329-55A8-400F-ACC0-64D689EC7FA1.jpeg

Link to one for sale 

https://www.jimbodetools.com/products/early-brass-braille-writing-rule-82354

atb Agriv8 

32 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Well this has been doing my nut in because I have seen one and couldn’t remember where having a pint with our syndicate for Christmas last night it came to me when someone asked if I’d heard from an old gun and freind !

it’s a braille guide used with a brass dowel or pin the guns mum was blind and when we were growing up she used to write to her husband a merchant seaman on one !

Am I  understanding this.  Ok, so you think that you have identified its use but how is it actually used.  If the person sending was blind, the device would have to convert Braille into readable text and the person returning would have to have a similar device to convert written text into Braille so that the blind recipient would be able to feel the message.   Is this correct. ?  Are there or is there a pair of these.?

I'm guessing there would be a set of dies that go with this, the letter on top and the braille character underneath.

With the paper sandwiched in the tool, the individual letters can be arranged in the holes to make a sentence, then a mallet or roller used to press down and form the embossed braille text.

No, actually it's more tedious than that, there is a little punch that forms each dimple of a character.

Here's one complete.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Wymondley

2 hours ago, Minky said:

Am I  understanding this.  Ok, so you think that you have identified its use but how is it actually used.  If the person sending was blind, the device would have to convert Braille into readable text and the person returning would have to have a similar device to convert written text into Braille so that the blind recipient would be able to feel the message.   Is this correct. ?  Are there or is there a pair of these.?

No so outer brass with the holes has 6 slight indentations round the edge these line up with the 6 dimples bellow the blind person would use thes to guide the dowel to the right place to create the brail letter or number  the receiver had to be able to read braille picture of the braille alphabet to assist 

Agriv8

B8E87603-EB7C-48F7-928D-5D7BD59DBEF8.png

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

superb........................pw does it again:good:

Now you could say Ditchy that answers was found through drink I was not driving and several of the guns that are not able to walk felt the need to thank me for my beating skills and picking up skills as my spaniel is tee total I had to drink these beer offerings on her behalf. 

One retrieve yesterday was again in thick briers that one of the old boy labs had circled but could not break in i was called over - I winced when the pushed her way through her ears, nose are sore today !

spaniel ownership it a roller coaster but there work rate 150%

will stick up a report as got some photos yesterday!

Agriv8

8 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Link to one for sale 

https://www.jimbodetools.com/products/early-brass-braille-writing-rule-82354

atb Agriv8 

Brilliant, thanks very much, I knew PW would come up trumps.