No lights on 😳😳😳😳😳

harrycatcat1

Yesterday I drove back from Stratford to Chesterfield. The traffic was pretty bad but when it was clear on the M1 but lashing it down with rain there were cars with no lights on thrashing past me at 70 mph +.

Is it that nowadays they think the cars will turn their lights on for them? My car has auto for the lights but when it's bad like yesterday I put the lights on manual so you don't have to keep checking they are still on. It seems that some folk have no concept of danger. 

4 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Yesterday I drove back from Stratford to Chesterfield. The traffic was pretty bad but when it was clear on the M1 but lashing it down with rain there were cars with no lights on thrashing past me at 70 mph +.

Is it that nowadays they think the cars will turn their lights on for them?  YES!   My car has auto for the lights but when it's bad like yesterday I put the lights on manual so you don't have to keep checking they are still on.  ME TOO! 

It seems that some folk have no concept of danger. YOU cannot legislate for STUPIDITY!

We see loads of vehicles with automatic lights on, white side lights in the front and nothing on the rear.

47 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

We see loads of vehicles with automatic lights on, white side lights in the front and nothing on the rear.

Ditto,,,, and it appears that if it's 0800 or 1530 (short daylight hours) you (not you literally 🙈) don't need to put your vehicle's lights on. See this far too often 🤔

9 minutes ago, jall25 said:

This to me is the real scary thing - the lights are on at the front but nothing on the rear - this really does need legislative change 

It is just like the confidence drivers seem to have in the "Daylight Driving Lights" that are on all the time, day or night!

Far too much reliance placed upon convenience rather than actually preventing accidents, much like the motorcyclists who do not have their headlights on dipped beam during the day and wear dark clothing!

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Or the plums that switch them on when it is raining, or the plums that switch them on when there is light fog, and visibility is still good.

I would have execution chambers at the side of the road for these plums!

Anyone else find their lights are useless at night. With it getting darker I am putting on the lights and the number of times I have to check they are on is incredible. Ive cleaned the lenses and its still like I am driving with no lights on, unlit sections of the motorway are particularly exciting. Perhaps I have just been spoiled by the HIDS in the Jaaaag. Mind you that steams up at the drop of a hat because the AC has packed in!

I run at 0630 every morning mainly across country but back along some country lanes. New cars now have “automatic full beam headlights”... which means that any pedestrian they encounter is blinded and for good effect rather than turn the lights off as they see the lights of a car around the bend they need to “see” the car in order to temporarily blind other drivers. I could count on one hand the number of times I’ve needed full beams this year. If you need them on when driving in good weather you are going too fast for your eyesight and should either slow down or not venture out at night! 

Just now, WalkedUp said:

New cars now have “automatic full beam headlights”... which means that any pedestrian they encounter is blinded and for good effect rather than turn the lights off as they see the lights of a car around the bend they need to “see” the car in order to temporarily blind other drivers.

My XHP110 head lamp shining back at them solves that particular problem when walking the dog.

Too many folk know that they cannot see very well in poor light and yet they drive anyway putting everyone at risk. If it is daylight, however gloomy. folk should be able to see a car without lights as the law of averages means some folk will forget to put them on and other folk might not put them on because they can see perfectly well. You should be expecting this and deal with it.

On 30/12/2022 at 07:36, 243deer said:

Too many folk know that they cannot see very well in poor light and yet they drive anyway putting everyone at risk. If it is daylight, however gloomy. folk should be able to see a car without lights as the law of averages means some folk will forget to put them on and other folk might not put them on because they can see perfectly well. You should be expecting this and deal with it.

How do you deal with it 🤔

I was interested to read about the new fangled Matrix headlight system which enables you to drive on main beam all the time and it automatically creates an area covering the approaching lights instead of dipping. Very clever.   Car lighting offences are now so prevalent you have to be on guard at all times. One serious danger is parking without lights and of course if the owner hasn't cleaned the reflectpors then they will not work anyway.   I see so many offences on a twenty mile journey these days which would have collected a ticket or a warning, but there is no law out there to do it.   As one mid service officer said to me last year..."We're just social workers these days".