Mongrel question.

samboy

High gang.

If you mate a mongrel with a mongrel you get a mongrel. But if you mate a Whippet with a Bedlington terrier you get a

1st cross or what we call a Lurcher but is it still classed as a mongrel ?.

Thanks all.

15 minutes ago, samboy said:

High gang.

If you mate a mongrel with a mongrel you get a mongrel. But if you mate a Whippet with a Bedlington terrier you get a

Thanks all.

Cross breed ?

16 minutes ago, samboy said:

High gang.

Thanks all.

thought a lurcher was a greyhound cross ?

39 minutes ago, samboy said:

High gang.

Thanks all.

It’s classed as a lurcher … a working type dog crossed with a sight hound. 

22 minutes ago, ditchman said:

thought a lurcher was a greyhound cross ?

A lurcher is (I believe) any working type dog (herding dog, terrier type, etc) crossed with a running dog / sight hound. 

I believe a long dog is 2 running dogs / sight hounds crossed together … eg whippet x greyhounds. 

Isn’t a mongrel a dog that’s such a mix and combination it has no definable type? 

Edited by Lloyd90

Some bloke i the local had a new dog that he called something or other, labrapoocock or whatever, i said "Oh its a mongrel then" he got a bit of a mardy on and got a bit stroppy saying it was a breed. "No its a mongrel, we used to call them street accidents, but if your happy with it then fine, but its still a Mongrel" 

You call it what you like, WippingBed has a ring to it. 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Some bloke i the local had a new dog that he called something or other, labrapoocock or whatever, i said "Oh its a mongrel then" he got a bit of a mardy on and got a bit stroppy saying it was a breed. "No its a mongrel, we used to call them street accidents, but if your happy with it then fine, but its still a Mongrel" 

Every breed started out as a"cross breed" "mongrel", or what ever you want to call them before they became a "breed".. 

2 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

Every breed started out as a"cross breed" "mongrel", or what ever you want to call them before they became a "breed".. 

Yes very true, you could go back 10,000 years and still have what we now call mongrels, but now we call them made up names that come with a fashion label attached. 

11 hours ago, Dougy said:

Nail on head again.

47 minutes ago, jeffgg said:

So if you cross a Jack Russell with a Boxer you get a Jack in the Box 

No, only during the mating process.