Treating leather

Lloyd90

15 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Thanks  does it matter the colour of the bag etc or just crack on? 

No, it works on any leather, as long as it isn’t PU or some kind of impermeable surface coating. I use it on the wife’s Fly of London leather boots (of which she has many 😩) and they look almost brand new after treatment.

2 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Not neatsfoot

neatsfoot oil is prone to oxidising, causing leather to crack and deteriorate. As such, it's wise to avoid using it on items that you've invested heavily in and plan on keeping for many years

You need the proper stuff boiled hoof and bone from your local nacker man or demolders but it smells 

I’ve used gold label wax on a pair of shoes and they come up a treat and have stayed proofed for a long time, easy to tip up and buffs up a treat. 
it does pong a little at first so use it sparingly. Cheap as….you can do wax coats etc too using it, I done my Barbour once but never again due to the smell. 

Renapur. I have some Croots double slips and one of their cartridge bags. The Renapur stops the rain drops 0.0001mm above the leather😉

If they get wet then slips are left open to dry, cartridge bag stuffed with newspaper. Left somewhere airy but not too close to a heat source. When dry a coat of Renapur and they're like brand new

On 08/01/2023 at 19:09, Yellow Bear said:

Not neatsfoot

neatsfoot oil is prone to oxidising, causing leather to crack and deteriorate. As such, it's wise to avoid using it on items that you've invested heavily in and plan on keeping for many years

I've used neatsfoot exclusively on my bike leathers that I bought in the 1970s. They are as supple as new.

I too have used neatsfoot oil on leather for many years and have not seen any sign of it oxidising, or causing leather to crack and deteriorate. What it will do is to significantly darken pale coloured leather. With regard to the original posters question, I`d use a suitable cloured boot polish applied with a rag and brushed and polished like a pair of shoes.

34 minutes ago, humperdingle said:

And how did it go? Incidentally, it also works really well on wood surfaces to hide scuffs 👍

I have only touched up the top flap of the cartridge bag, the strap that gets creased and the bottom of the gunslip that sits on the ground so far. 

The season is almost over so I’ll give them both a full rub down then. 

It seems ok though, very easy to apply, I just rubbed it in with my finger so you can get a good even application. 

Think it would benefit from a good application and then being left to dry in. 

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I have only touched up the top flap of the cartridge bag, the strap that gets creased and the bottom of the gunslip that sits on the ground so far. 

The season is almost over so I’ll give them both a full rub down then. 

It seems ok though, very easy to apply, I just rubbed it in with my finger so you can get a good even application. 

Think it would benefit from a good application and then being left to dry in. 

Yeh I use a dedicated cloth for it - it can stand up itself because it’s so heavily impregnated with the wax 😂

I normally heat the stuff a little to make it a bit more viscous, and it seeps into the leather more easily.