1 day to go till 'Clarkson's Farm'

discobob

Just finished watching episode where the planning commission refuses application. We are avid watchers of the series from our farm in western Canada.

How does anything get done in England with all the bull**** you must deal with?

It is similar in that rural people dislike change. A lot of it is jeaulosy. But I can put a building up without anyone’s permission. A restaurant has-food safety requirements but little more. 
    I know the show is made for television but the issues are real. I hope it educates a few city people. 
    My great grandfather made a wise choice to leave Scotland 150 years ago. Or I might be stuck there dealing with the BS.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, dogone said:

Just finished watching episode where the planning commission refuses application. We are avid watchers of the series from our farm in western Canada.

How does anything get done in England with all the ******** you must deal with?

It is similar in that rural people dislike change. A lot of it is jeaulosy. But I can put a building up without anyone’s permission. A restaurant has-food safety requirements but little more. 
    I know the show is made for television but the issues are real. I hope it educates a few city people. 
    My great grandfather made a wise choice to leave Scotland 150 years ago. Or I might be stuck there dealing with the BS.

In simple terms things don’t get done! However you have more space and fewer people so fewer development constraints.  My trips to your wonderful country have been truly uplifting and I look forward to more.

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

So whats your opinion on his requests for the carpark for his farm shop ? 

discounting any personal opinions on the cost of the goods, just based on the planning alone. 

Hello, that's ok but it depends for how many, every weekend there are 100s going and they park any where they like in the village so it becomes a real problem for residents, if it's just on grass and there's a lot of rain 🤔

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, that's ok but it depends for how many, every weekend there are 100s going and they park any where they like in the village so it becomes a real problem for residents, if it's just on grass and there's a lot of rain 🤔

So if they park off the road on a car park it will help the problem. ?  

4 minutes ago, Dougy said:

So if they park off the road on a car park it will help the problem. ?  

You would think so wouldn't you i think its more a personal thing myself I've seen this happen in little villages where an outsider has come in and want to build an extension on an existing building   

17 hours ago, dogone said:

How does anything get done in England with all the ******** you must deal with?

Yeah, but you have Justin!!!!

17 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I've come across corruption at the very top of a planning authority before, they are literally a law to themselves unfortunately. 

Yes its very hard for the wee guy just wanting to build a garage or porch , but the big housing developer takes the planning committee out for a boozy lunch after a site visit as my brother in law often reminds me thats how he got planning permission on 4 farms i used to shoot over here that where supposed to be on a green belt   

love or loath the guy he's doing his bit for farming there telling all farmers to diversify , He's got a group of local farmers ready to supply his restaurant to save them from going under and did you see all the rules and regulations he had to go threw . You would think a local counsel and planners would listen to a application that's going to provide 50 local jobs 

23 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

Yes its very hard for the wee guy just wanting to build a garage or porch , but the big housing developer takes the planning committee out for a boozy lunch after a site visit as my brother in law often reminds me thats how he got planning permission on 4 farms i used to shoot over here that where supposed to be on a green belt   

It's worse than that to be honest, I've got very good evidence of corruption by the very top officials within a planning authority but the system seems to rely on checks and balances carried out by the same individuals, very frustrating as the only recourse to an individual under such circumstances is to take them to a judicial review which carries a hefty bill.

I can see this particular case hitting the headlines shortly if the local authority continues on the same path as i believe it will end up in the courts which is fine as the people pursuing it can afford it. But what about all the cases where the little person has been trodden all over because they can't take that action. 

Going back, Planning application signs went up for two houses further up the lane. One was a German house (arrived on the back of some lorries) built on top of a full Concrete Cellar with external access (like a moat with no water) and the other needed a chunk of a hill excavating out to get flat land, Neighbours went up to view and came back saying that they had to improve the lane and put in a passing place.

The lane got absolutely wrecked with the amount of soil that had to be removed (it was a very wet spring so this was increased by @33%) and we just got black anytime we used the lane by foot or by vehicle.

Roll forward and nothing was done and a for sale sign went up for one of them so I contacted Planning to say nothing had been done to which I was told that there was no conditions placed on the application not all - not even "put back access to condition found"

The guy selling up's practice was to buy land, build on it, live in it for the statutory minimum and sell up to pocket the profit. He did get caught with the crash in 2008 and the house ended up being repossessed - he was also caught with money he hadn't declared by HMRC. 

I wonder if his nefarious deeds stretched to brown envelopes for the planning permission. The German house had nothing to do with him - but they did benefit. 

24 minutes ago, discobob said:

Going back, Planning application signs went up for two houses further up the lane. One was a German house (arrived on the back of some lorries) built on top of a full Concrete Cellar with external access (like a moat with no water) and the other needed a chunk of a hill excavating out to get flat land, Neighbours went up to view and came back saying that they had to improve the lane and put in a passing place.

The lane got absolutely wrecked with the amount of soil that had to be removed (it was a very wet spring so this was increased by @33%) and we just got black anytime we used the lane by foot or by vehicle.

Roll forward and nothing was done and a for sale sign went up for one of them so I contacted Planning to say nothing had been done to which I was told that there was no conditions placed on the application not all - not even "put back access to condition found"

The guy selling up's practice was to buy land, build on it, live in it for the statutory minimum and sell up to pocket the profit. He did get caught with the crash in 2008 and the house ended up being repossessed - he was also caught with money he hadn't declared by HMRC. 

I wonder if his nefarious deeds stretched to brown envelopes for the planning permission. The German house had nothing to do with him - but they did benefit. 

The UK is rife for anyone able to operate within the space left by either corrupt officials, or the inefficiency or laziness by individuals who can't be bothered to do their jobs in tackling, highly motivated deceitful and exploitative people. 

49 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

the only recourse to an individual under such circumstances is to take them to a judicial review which carries a hefty bill

Locally to me (but not my councils), a Borough Council (BC) gave (itself) planning permission for a new bridge over a railway that 'opens up' access to flood plain land that said BC want to build 10,000 houses on.  They did this because the Gov't paid them a grant of £8.1 Million for the bridge.  There are already major traffic and drainage problems from existing development (much again on flood plain) and the proposed development is widely objected to from both BC and surrounding areas residents. 

The Parish Council (PC) most affected (i.e. adjacent) took the lead and combined with other PC's took this to judicial review in Jan 22 (and lost). 

The PC then took up an appeal to the Court of Appeal (Jan 23) and has won, so the planning granted has been revoked.  Costs have (I think) been awarded to the PC because according to the Court of Appeal the correct process wasn't followed.

I now hear that the BC are to restart the whole planning process with more attention to following the rules - and in the meantime as well as all the money spent on Courts and lawyers, there has been a 30% increase in the estimates for the bridge.  So far a LOT of money (one source stated in excess of £ half a million) has been spent on lawyers and courts and the BC ratepayers.

A lot of taxpayers and ratepayers money has been spent on lawyers and Courts, some work has started (it turns out without appropriate planning) and in the delay all costs have gone up.  Despite widespread local opposition the BC are to carry on.

29 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Locally to me (but not my councils), a Borough Council (BC) gave (itself) planning permission for a new bridge over a railway that 'opens up' access to flood plain land that said BC want to build 10,000 houses on.  They did this because the Gov't paid them a grant of £8.1 Million for the bridge.  There are already major traffic and drainage problems from existing development (much again on flood plain) and the proposed development is widely objected to from both BC and surrounding areas residents. 

The Parish Council (PC) most affected (i.e. adjacent) took the lead and combined with other PC's took this to judicial review in Jan 22 (and lost). 

The PC then took up an appeal to the Court of Appeal (Jan 23) and has won, so the planning granted has been revoked.  Costs have (I think) been awarded to the PC because according to the Court of Appeal the correct process wasn't followed.

I now hear that the BC are to restart the whole planning process with more attention to following the rules - and in the meantime as well as all the money spent on Courts and lawyers, there has been a 30% increase in the estimates for the bridge.  So far a LOT of money (one source stated in excess of £ half a million) has been spent on lawyers and courts and the BC ratepayers.

A lot of taxpayers and ratepayers money has been spent on lawyers and Courts, some work has started (it turns out without appropriate planning) and in the delay all costs have gone up.  Despite widespread local opposition the BC are to carry on.

When we bought our house, our searches came back (this is from the Local Authority) as unadopted lane - don't know who owns it, and indeed from speaking to the locals this had been the response for at least 20 years. After the work mentioned above, the lane was ruined. A lad round the corner fell over and cut his head open because of the condition underfoot so I contacted the Land Registry to see what would come up in a search. It came back as the LA that owned it.

When approached about this - stating they had lied repeatedly their response was that they own it as a private owner(?????) and we ended up with threatening (bullying) legal letters from their solicitors saying that they would sue if we did anything to the lane - our immediate neighbour got one about him accessing his property illegally - the plot the houses were built on historical access was on our side - hence they couldn't pull this trick on us.

If the searches had of come back saying it was the council that owned the lane I would not have bought the house

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

The UK is rife for anyone able to operate within the space left by either corrupt officials, or the inefficiency or laziness by individuals who can't be bothered to do their jobs in tackling, highly motivated deceitful and exploitative people. 

Well, we appear to attract a suitable calibre of people to take up the spaces?