Airport Parking

steve_b_wales

What people do for Heathrow is park in a residential side street (usually ours !!) And then get the local minicab firm to take them to the airport. Around £20.

On the return they get the same minicab firm to pick them up and  take them back to where they left the car.

Some minicab firms even go so far as to offer it as a service and will direct you to suitable roads to park 

10 hours ago, oowee said:

16 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've been looking at prices to park my car for two weeks at Bristol Airport in September, which are expensive to say the least. Downside House Farm Parking was mentioned to me by a friend who used them recently. Has anyone else used them?

Why don't you fly from Cardiff - our countries crowning jewel :whistling: 🤣

1 hour ago, discobob said:

From the sounds of it you may be the only one!!!

That’s the case each time I ‘visit’. 
We do two or three rotations per day and like other regional Airports, are the only ones until summer season starts for the bucket n spade brigade. 

20 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've been looking at prices to park my car for two weeks at Bristol Airport in September, which are expensive to say the least. Downside House Farm Parking was mentioned to me by a friend who used them recently. Has anyone else used them?

Used them once, was fine.

But I would ask local-to-you minicab firms to quote you for a Bristol airport run.  Might not be as pricey as you think, and will save you lots of hassle.  Which, given that this is presumably meant to be a holiday, might be worth it.

Flew from Bristol recently, and paid about £85 to park in the long stay carpark for 6 days, which was less than a return taxi would have cost. Also, kept my keys and knew no one had been ragging my car around! Plus it's nice to know the car is waiting when we get back, no dragging children & bags around looking for a taxi, even if pre booked. Your mileage may vary.

6 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

The big issue with the taxi’s there is that they know it’s a captive audience and they are bloody expensive. 

If you hike off the grounds and phone an Uber or similar it’s a lot cheaper. 

Ubers are often dearer than proper taxis. Besides uber is just a phone app, you don't know (and they don't know who is actually driving

Edited by Vince Green

• 2 months later...

Further to my question about parking at Bristol Airport (£164 for two weeks, keeping my keys) there's a company called Whitegates Bed & Breakfast who charge £75 for 15 days and also offer B&B for £50 (room only) or continental brealfast @ £9 pp. Keys have to left with them and they take you/bring you back ftom the airport.

Has anyone used this company?

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

Further to my question about parking at Bristol Airport (£164 for two weeks, keeping my keys) there's a company called Whitegates Bed & Breakfast who charge £75 for 15 days and also offer B&B for £50 (room only) or continental brealfast @ £9 pp. Keys have to left with them and they take you/bring you back ftom the airport.

Has anyone used this company?

Reading some small print, if leaving the keys with anyone not on the policy the policy is void?

4 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

(£164 for two weeks, keeping my keys)

Did this 2 times within the last 2 weeks for work (so £85ish a throw, albeit on expenses).

All I can say is, from the time I picked my bag off the belt, to the time I was in the car driving home was approximately 6 minutes.

Beats handing your keys to someone in my view.  But again, check with your local minicab firms how much they charge for airport runs.  Might be less than you think, and if it's say less than £250 for both times, do it.  It is supposed to be a holiday after all, and minimising hassle is part of it in my book.

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Did this 2 times within the last 2 weeks for work (so £85ish a throw, albeit on expenses).

All I can say is, from the time I picked my bag off the belt, to the time I was in the car driving home was approximately 6 minutes.

Beats handing your keys to someone in my view.  But again, check with your local minicab firms how much they charge for airport runs.  Might be less than you think, and if it's say less than £250 for both times, do it.  It is supposed to be a holiday after all, and minimising hassle is part of it in my book.

We do intend getting quotes from local mini cab firms. The airport is 60 miles from my home, so 240 total. I realise it will be 4 journeys for the taxi firm. I'm totally against handing my keys over and would rather pay the extra £40 to able to keep them. Mt step daughter has offered to take us to the airport and bring us back, but we don't arrive back until 02:45 the earliest. She works everyday and we feel it would be too much for her. 

13 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

UPDATE:

I've just had a reply from Whitegates, and they said that the times that I wanted to book an overnight stay (9pm) and return from the airport (02.30) are not available!

I'm not surprised coming back at that time.

If your against leaving your car then getting dropped off and a taxi back seems your best bet, but I doubt the taxi would be cheap. 

9 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

The airport is 60 miles from my home, so 240 total. I realise it will be 4 journeys for the taxi firm

20 minutes ago, Mice! said:

taxi back seems your best bet, but I doubt the taxi would be cheap. 

As I say, minicab firms usually have fixed rates for airport runs, you may be surprised how affordable it is.