France in flames

armsid

I have been looking at a post on another site and saw the posts put up about the riots in France against the proposed raising of retirement age to 64. The post is on Twitter and a lot of damage is being caused ,Your comments please

9 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Can’t agreee more with Mossy , not seen it on msnherre though but I’ve been following it , Macron is a idiot but western governments need to wake up and listen to the people 

It’s been featured on the BBC news as Old Charlie boys visit there has been cancelled because of the riots. 

the mainstream media seems to be playing it down somewhat...they do show burning rubbish and the frogs letting off wizz-bangs.............i have seen pics (not on the usual media outlets) of whole streets waist deep in semi burnt rubbish....a truly armegeddon mess...........

Edited by ditchman

8 hours ago, countryman said:

Say what you want about the French but they do protest with a passion for there rights, here we hit the keyboard and have a serious rant.

Us English do "tutt" very loudly though, and sometimes even bang the table with our hands.

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

a truly armegeddon mess

Yes, I've been to Paris.

11 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

All those of you admiring the French uh, protest-ethic; what bluddy good does it do them? The legislation they protest about invariably gets implemented anyway. We might just sit at home & tut, but the elected and unelected overlords in both our countries still pursue their agenda.

I agree with you, but how can we change things?

How bad does it need to be before there is so much dissent that there has to be a massive shift in they way we're governed?

Or are we going to keep slipping ever further into a social and economic mess?

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

All those of you admiring the French uh, protest-ethic; what bluddy good does it do them? The legislation they protest about invariably gets implemented anyway. We might just sit at home & tut, but the elected and unelected overlords in both our countries still pursue their agenda.

The point is, it lets those who govern us know that there’s a lot of unhappy, or in this case angry folk out there. 
To do nothing is to give the impression you don’t care; just like the pathetic response to the HSE consultation on lead shot.

Yes, we know it’s going to happen anyhow, but those who legislate against us now know not a lot of people care enough to be bothered. 

42 minutes ago, Scully said:

The point is, it lets those who govern us know that there’s a lot of unhappy, or in this case angry folk out there. 
To do nothing is to give the impression you don’t care; just like the pathetic response to the HSE consultation on lead shot.

Yes, we know it’s going to happen anyhow, but those who legislate against us now know not a lot of people care enough to be bothered. 

Surely we show our disappointment in a currant government by voting them out. However the incoming incumbents always forget why they were voted in. I suppose that is what is meant by democracy.

1 hour ago, Rem260 said:

Surely we show our disappointment in a currant government by voting them out. However the incoming incumbents always forget why they were voted in. I suppose that is what is meant by democracy.

Do you let those you vote in or out know why you did so? 
I’ve never let any party, MP, PM or other official know that I voted them in because I didn’t like another parties policy regarding shooting, have you? 
If you don’t let anyone know you’re unhappy about a particular policy, how are they going to know? 
As far as the HSE are concerned ( for example ) less than 2000 of 1,000,000 UK shooters are bothered about the proposal to ban lead shot. 🤷‍♂️

25 minutes ago, Scully said:

Do you let those you vote in or out know why you did so? 
I’ve never let any party, MP, PM or other official know that I voted them in because I didn’t like another parties policy regarding shooting, have you? 
If you don’t let anyone know you’re unhappy about a particular policy, how are they going to know? 
As far as the HSE are concerned ( for example ) less than 2000 of 1,000,000 UK shooters are bothered about the proposal to ban lead shot. 🤷‍♂️

Surely if say 20 million voted in the government of the day and in the next election they only got 10 million votes.

Would that not indicate that the voters were no longer happy with its policy's and favoured the other parties.  

In regards to letting my MP know about my dissatisfaction regarding the proposed lead ban I did so. I also raised other issues and informed them that they may not get my vote. Which seems more likely.

2 hours ago, Rem260 said:

Surely if say 20 million voted in the government of the day and in the next election they only got 10 million votes.

Would that not indicate that the voters were no longer happy with its policy's and favoured the other parties.  

In regards to letting my MP know about my dissatisfaction regarding the proposed lead ban I did so. I also raised other issues and informed them that they may not get my vote. Which seems more likely.

To vote for or against a party at an impending election, based on a manifesto, is the norm, but you already know that.
If that party is already in power how do you let them know you don’t like a proposed policy? Wait until their term is done and then vote for someone else? By which time the legislation is implemented. What’s the point in that? 

50 minutes ago, Scully said:

To vote for or against a party at an impending election, based on a manifesto, is the norm, but you already know that.
If that party is already in power how do you let them know you don’t like a proposed policy? Wait until their term is done and then vote for someone else? By which time the legislation is implemented. What’s the point in that? 

I agree with your sentiments but rioting in the streets is a not the way to go. An organised peaceful march would get your point across if people felt strongly enough. Backed up by contacting the relevant MP reminding them that you will remove your vote. Otherwise anarchy would ensue if everyone took to rioting over legislation that they disagreed with.

1 hour ago, Rem260 said:

I agree with your sentiments but rioting in the streets is a not the way to go. An organised peaceful march would get your point across if people felt strongly enough. Backed up by contacting the relevant MP reminding them that you will remove your vote. Otherwise anarchy would ensue if everyone took to rioting over legislation that they disagreed with.

I’m all for a bit of anarchy when it’s called for ( the poll tax may not have changed if not for some prepared to take it to the streets ) but I’m not suggesting we riot. 
When was the last time UK shooters protested about anything? Anything at all? We can’t even take credit for the Countryside March; it was instigated and led by the CA regarding fox hunting, and had nothing to do with shooting.
The vast majority can’t even be bothered to compile a stern email! 😂There isn't even any need to put it in an envelope and post it! 

4 hours ago, Scully said:

When was the last time UK shooters protested about anything? Anything at all? 

They have us over a barrel 

Lets say 100,000 shooters got together and marched in London.

All it takes is an anti shooting group to turn up, kick off into violence.

Police wade in and start arresting people. Any people.

So some shooters get charged with breach of the peace or public order offences.

Thats your tickets out the window and I suspect the powers that be know this.

Just my opinion 

:shaun:

Predominately peaceful (well, that might be pushing it in France at the moment) protest needs to remain a right of an understandably dissafected public, never more so than now. There is a lot going on currently that doesn't even get a mention on mainstream media- a good example being marches  in Holland concerning the forced closure of some 50 per cent of farms  over the next few years scarcely make the news over here, yet that will have a far more devastating effect not just there but globally. Quite what nitrogen useage has to do with supposed climate change, I wish I knew; the science on that one is lost on me, as is carbon dioxide being a threat (try growing anything without it)

I don't always approve of the way the French do things , but there does seem to be a greater mindset in the UK whereby the public seem to think "well, its the government, they must know what they are doing". 

8 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

They have us over a barrel 

Lets say 100,000 shooters got together and marched in London.

All it takes is an anti shooting group to turn up, kick off into violence.

Police wade in and start arresting people. Any people.

So some shooters get charged with breach of the peace or public order offences.

Thats your tickets out the window and I suspect the powers that be know this.

Just my opinion 

:shaun:

It’s always a risk I suppose, but it didn’t seem to concern those in the Countryside March. 
We’re very good at making excuses for ourselves and our apathy. 

Edited by Scully