28 Bore, 16 Bore and others

There's been quite a few posts recently about 28 bore and 16 bore.

Just wondering, what's the availability of over the counter cartridges.

Here in Sheffield there are three RFDs.

One sells only Hull in 12 and .410. In .410 its 11gram clay & game only. 2 choices of 12 bore and nothing in 20.

The other sells a slightly bigger range of 12 bore and .410 in only 17 gram. Little in 20 bore and nothing in anything else. Neither will entertain ordering in anything else even if paid in advance.

The third RFD, I haven't used since it opened and it sold my son wet cartridges. Lost our trade in its first week. 

I just wondered what was on offer further a field.

I'd love a 28 bore 

Think I'd go with the Hull high  pheasant  carts as they seem to do the business  in .410 .  But having already got a 12 .20 and .410 can't really justify  a 28 . Though I'd love a semi auto with hushpower  mod shooting 23 / 24 grms . I think that would be about my prefect calibre and load for balance  between noise and range  . 35 - 40 yds at a push would do me grand ..

Why be worried about brands.  If they go bang and you put the lead on the target it will do the job.  Just get what's available and shoot.  Or do what I do and reload. 28 is a fantastic calibre and really surprises in the kills that it will achieve. edit why can't you justify a 28 and why a hushpower.?  If your legal why bleed the power off.?  Apply full power and let them know your out there. 

Edited by Minky

The hushpower mods I fit don't bleed the power off  .only the ported barrel versions do that  . 

I like silenced guns because  they are safer for my hearing ,the kids and the dog . More birds come in and the locals don't get as pi☆sy.

They also reduce recoil  and make for a much more pleasant shooting experience  . Question is why wouldn't you fit a moderator  ? .

It's not so much about brands as choice. 

In 12bore I'm happy with what's sold. I use 21gram for clays and 32gram for pigeon/corvids.

In  .410 I can hit any clay (eventually) with 11gram and they are adequate for squirrels, rats and close in pigeon. 

It's just no-one anywhere seems to stock or sell 28bore or 16bore. I'm sure some dealers have never even seen 10bore, 9mm or others.

There are some attractively priced 28 and 16 bore guns for sale at the moment, on here and elsewhere. Just seems a pointless purchase if I can't buy cartridges without having a days journey or an overnight stay.

The nearest (good) gunsmith is over 4 hours away. The nearest RFD that still has his own ticket, over an hour away and as yet I can't find any dealer this side of 2 1/2 hours away that has any choice other than take it or leave it.

4 hours ago, Centrepin said:

It's not so much about brands as choice. 

In 12bore I'm happy with what's sold. I use 21gram for clays and 32gram for pigeon/corvids.

In  .410 I can hit any clay (eventually) with 11gram and they are adequate for squirrels, rats and close in pigeon. 

It's just no-one anywhere seems to stock or sell 28bore or 16bore. I'm sure some dealers have never even seen 10bore, 9mm or others.

There are some attractively priced 28 and 16 bore guns for sale at the moment, on here and elsewhere. Just seems a pointless purchase if I can't buy cartridges without having a days journey or an overnight stay.

The nearest (good) gunsmith is over 4 hours away. The nearest RFD that still has his own ticket, over an hour away and as yet I can't find any dealer this side of 2 1/2 hours away that has any choice other than take it or leave it.

There is not a gun shop around me that won't order any of their suppliers cartridge I want if they don't have it in stock. I may have to wait a few weeks but it is a guaranteed sale for the shop.

Not ordering what you ask for is nothing more than shear laziness and short sightedness as guaranteed turnover is better than buying cartridges on speculation they will sell, but might not.

The reason that some gunships flourish and others fade into obscurity is nearly always to do with customer satisfaction, ye olde shop with outdated stock, limited selection, and a take it or leave it attitude is destined for the dustbin.

Although not inexpensive, the reason that Just Cartridges and others exist and thrive is to meet the demand that those "olde" shops can't be bothered to.

You want 16g 28 bore, 24g 16 bore etc, etc they will have something or even a choice for you.

Another good source is your local clay ground, who will often add your special order to their monthly cartridge order.

Happy shopping!

With regards to 16 bore cartridges, I tend to stick to either of those in the photo and have now gone over to 28g 7shot from 6s always fibre wad and they seem to do the business for me so long as I do my bit. I do tend to scour the sales ads on PW, but the bargain 16 bore cartridges always seem to be too far North for an economic pick up.

Two of my local gunshops have recently closed, so with the one remaining, I have to order slabs in. However, with my current useage of cartridges, having sufficient isn`t a problem at the moment. 

IMG_3485.JPG

9 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Maybe my post is working. I was today informed by an agent of my local RFD he's now stocking 4 types of 28gram x 12 bore. 21gram x 12 bore. .410. and 20 bore x 1 type. 

It's a marked improvement.

Hallelujah!

And Glory be!

• 3 weeks later...

im lucky were i am,i have 1 seller who isnt  a gunshop only sells carts,in allmost every thing you want when i had my 28g i could have anything from 16gram to 25gram from various makers,but now i only shoot 20g,he also stocks loads of assorted iin that calibre too.anyone arou nd my area that dont know who he is,pm me for location.

On 06/04/2023 at 18:54, Centrepin said:

There's been quite a few posts recently about 28 bore and 16 bore.

Just wondering, what's the availability of over the counter cartridges.

Here in Sheffield there are three RFDs.

One sells only Hull in 12 and .410. In .410 its 11gram clay & game only. 2 choices of 12 bore and nothing in 20.

The other sells a slightly bigger range of 12 bore and .410 in only 17 gram. Little in 20 bore and nothing in anything else. Neither will entertain ordering in anything else even if paid in advance.

The third RFD, I haven't used since it opened and it sold my son wet cartridges. Lost our trade in its first week. 

I just wondered what was on offer further a field.

Check out Kirklees Guns in Huddersfield only half hour north of you. Quite a bit of choice in those smaller calibre loads according to their website

12 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Check out Kirklees Guns in Huddersfield only half hour north of you. Quite a bit of choice in those smaller calibre loads according to their website

I called in a few weeks ago and talked to two of the staff. It's around an hour from me, that said, nice friendly knowledgeable staff. I ordered in advance to make sure stock available gave them an ETA and my order was ready when I arrived. Unless I can find better closer which is unlikely they've now got my trade. They also gave me an out of hours mobile number if I needed anything. I've only ever had that from one other dealer in the last 50+ years.

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

I called in a few weeks ago and talked to two of the staff. It's around an hour from me, that said, nice friendly knowledgeable staff. I ordered in advance to make sure stock available gave them an ETA and my order was ready when I arrived. Unless I can find better closer which is unlikely they've now got my trade. They also gave me an out of hours mobile number if I needed anything. I've only ever had that from one other dealer in the last 50+ years.

Bit longer journey than I thought then, anyhow glad you are sorted. Yes decent shop ,used them in the past.