Ev cars.....evolving market

millrace

Out with mate last nite,,owns a main car dealership got chatting,,,hes just told his salesmen not to accept electric trade ins....

He was saying all the big uk companies also getting very scared and if pushed will low ball value your ev if they take it cause they dont want them basically they have been told not to trade them offer low and you will sell private then come back cash buyer

The reason!! Evolving market by the time you get your car from ordering its out of date and trading in your pride and joy is old hat technology so value dropping like do do.....

Very much buyer beware market and we the buyers are being led a merry expensive dance!!!!

Batteries were mentioned a new sodium ion version is due, 30% cheaper not sure on performance but means car price will be lower,,hence your lithium ion car is now outdated value plummeting....

He says the European makers are light years behind and cant catch up,

His advice....buy cheapest chinese ev you can find... youll lose less and other than a name your buying a better product!!

"Byd" are the biggest and about to enter Ireland with starting think around 25k euro, id read recently....but i know nowt about cars in general so couldnt say how 1 compares to others,,,, he was just saying how on the inside they are all realizing techno wise they are behind and now you are truly paying for a badge ie ford vw etc....not high end just your normal car makers.... 

Think I'll stick with my 2 diesels 1.8 honda getting 60 mpg

2 litre insignia getting well over 50 mpg on a run.

Chap at work bought a newish nissan can't get beyond york from Blackpool without stopping to charge so he's bought a 1.4 peugot for distance journeys.

15 minutes ago, Mungler said:

If you’re going to get an EV then the only options are :

1. business lease one over years 2/3/5

2. Buy a Kia and grab a 10 year warranty but in the knowledge that’s you done and with the same car for the whole 10 years 

Does their 10 year warranty cover the battery?

I'm betting it doesn't, but I do not know.

On 08/04/2023 at 12:24, millrace said:

His advice....buy cheapest chinese ev you can find...

Some years ago we had the misfortune to sell some DFSK vans, a Chinese copy of the old Suzuki Carry van.

The quality was appalling bordering on the dangerous.

I wouldn't advise anyone to buy anything Chinese on wheels, especially an EV.

8 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

Some years ago we had the misfortune to sell some DFSK vans, a Chinese copy of the old Suzuki Carry van.

The quality was appalling bordering on the dangerous.

I wouldn't advise anyone to buy anything Chinese on wheels, especially an EV.

👍 And because of their appalling human rights record, suppression of residents, the two faced treatment of Hong Kong the genocide that they are committing against their own people. Where ever possible i will not buy from them.

In view of the impending extension to the London ULEZ and the fact that my non-compliant 13 year old diesel Hyundai is starting to need some money spending on it, I have bitten the bullet and am now contract hiring a Nissan Leaf EV.

It was the most cost-effective and well-specced of the EV family cars that I looked at and as I don't do long journeys now, its range limitations are irrelevant.

I'm really pleased with it

On 08/04/2023 at 15:17, Agriv8 said:

My Trade mate says lease Ev’s if you must have one ! Some one else’s problem at end of the term!

Good point.

Also, will a scrapyard buy an electric vehicle, or does the owner have to pay a disposal fee?

Is it expensive to dismantle an EV?  Presumably there would be extra staff training and equipment required for dealing with high voltages and possible fire hazards.   An EV that has been damaged in a collision might involve extra risks and extra costs.

I imagine a landowner will be required to pay the full cost for collection and disposal of any electric vehicle dumped on private property.

I have heard this as well in the car channels I watch.....

BYD are currently having bad press because there seems to be a high number of fires happening within China for their cars... I wouldn't like to leave one parked by the house or any house.... (any electric - not just BYD) - I have seen footage of cars charging that have gone on fire and took the nearby building with it....

On 09/04/2023 at 18:55, amateur said:

In view of the impending extension to the London ULEZ and the fact that my non-compliant 13 year old diesel Hyundai is starting to need some money spending on it, I have bitten the bullet and am now contract hiring a Nissan Leaf EV.

It was the most cost-effective and well-specced of the EV family cars that I looked at and as I don't do long journeys now, its range limitations are irrelevant.

I'm really pleased with it

May I ask what sort of monthly fee you're paying? (I commute into the Bristol CAZ in a slightly old diesel, which is a massive pain when the public transport alternatives are unreliable at best...)

8 hours ago, sandspider said:

May I ask what sort of monthly fee you're paying? (I commute into the Bristol CAZ in a slightly old diesel, which is a massive pain when the public transport alternatives are unreliable at best...)

I'll pm you