my mate fac form

my mate got his sgc now hes put in for his fac but the doctor put the worng infomation down on the medical forms hes worried 

that they might revoke his sgc and take his shotguns what can he do hes tryed basc but no reply because the doctor said he had suciedal thoughts which he hasn,t 

Edited by derby angler

38 minutes ago, derby angler said:

my mate got his sgc now hes put in for his fac but the doctor put the worng infomation down on the medical forms hes worried 

that they might revoke his sgc and take his shotguns what can he do hes tryed basc but no reply because the doctor said he had suciedal thoughts which he hasn,t 

Ask Conor on here from BASC for a contact within BASC 

He is a good guy 

@Conor O'Gorman

1 hour ago, derby angler said:

just to confirm, the Dr has stated that he was at risk of suicide but the person has never visited the Dr for this ?

12 hours ago, derby angler said:

my mate just rang the doctors it was done by someone in admin it was then signed by the doctor

assuming that the OP has been told the truth by his friend then this would be really concerning for the medical practise and the police. Those forms have to be correct hence you pay for them...

The GP practise should be falling over themselves to put this right as i believe that in accuracies on the form are a criminal offense ?

5 hours ago, derby angler said:

my mate just rang the doctors it was done by someone in admin it was then signed by the doctor

A claim that a patient has expressed suicidal thoughts could be very damaging, and not just in relation to ownership of firearms.  An official record suggesting mental instability might seriously affect somebody’s life, making it difficult to get a new job, obtain life insurance, take up voluntary work involving young people, etc, etc.

Presumably the medical practice will have been asked to provide a full written explanation of what has happened?

It isn't outside the realms of possibility that someone presented with symptoms that appeared to be suicidal, but it wasn't shared with the patient for fear of it causing them to topple. 

Regardless I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a polite door knock to review his SGC and hold his guns for safe keeping, maybe it may be pertinent for friends of this friend of yours to store his guns on their licences til this blows over and is resolved?

On 10/04/2023 at 21:01, derby angler said:

I presume he sent in a doctors pro forma for his SGC?

I thought you had to get the doctor to fill in a pro-forma that you sent in with your application. At least my force asked me to do that.

I could read everything the doctor wrote - which was basically nothing except ticking a few boxes and signing it.

I find it hard to believe "admin" would write something that wasn't on his record.

Sounds like your mate might not be telling you the whole truth. 

26 minutes ago, walshie said:

I thought you had to get the doctor to fill in a pro-forma that you sent in with your application. At least my force asked me to do that.

I could read everything the doctor wrote - which was basically nothing except ticking a few boxes and signing it.

I find it hard to believe "admin" would write something that wasn't on his record.

Sounds like your mate might not be telling you the whole truth. 

that's what I did, handed the pro-forma to the receptionist, picked it up and then posted it with all the other paper work, as you say you can see what he has written on the form so how did his mate know he had marked his pro-forma with suicidal thoughts, plus he must have sent one for his SGC, what did that one say?

On 12/04/2023 at 10:35, old'un said:

that's what I did, handed the pro-forma to the receptionist, picked it up and then posted it with all the other paper work, as you say you can see what he has written on the form so how did his mate know he had marked his pro-forma with suicidal thoughts, plus he must have sent one for his SGC, what did that one say?

that was ok 

I was under the impression that you filled in half the form with your details then the GP signed their bit off and returned it to the patient (not the police).

Is that not what happened? Obviously I'd want to check what someone has put for accuracy before sending it off (there's always going to be an element of human error in any process that involves humans!).

D

7 hours ago, Downforce said:

I was under the impression that you filled in half the form with your details then the GP signed their bit off and returned it to the patient (not the police).

Is that not what happened? Obviously I'd want to check what someone has put for accuracy before sending it off (there's always going to be an element of human error in any process that involves humans!).

D

I believe the new process (after my renewal), the police are asking for the doctor to send the form direct to the firearms team.

54 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I believe the new process (after my renewal), the police are asking for the doctor to send the form direct to the firearms team.

That is certainly the process that Police Scotland followed when I renewed SGC last year.

34 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

when i did mine renewal last july.i picked the forms up from the doctors and sent them all in together.

Same,

This is from the Kent Proforma telling to doctor how to respond.

How to respond

Your response should be sent to the local police firearms licensing department by secured NHS email, or sent by post. Alternatively, please contact me so that I can collect it. If the response is given to me to supply to the police they may contact you to confirm the details.

So seems, both are acceptable.

Edited by Newbie to this

That is unworkable - you have a right to see what is being written about you. What if (as has happened to the OP's mate) there is a mistake made - they do it for Steven Jones, and you are Stephen Jones....What if the person filling it in does it with malfeasance because they have beliefs that are at odds with what is being applied for. Believe me, once it is in the hands of the police it will be very hard to get it corrected/removed. The process should be that you get an appointment with the doctor completing it, they explain what the are supplying and the basis of it. It would then be up to the applicant to decide to go ahead or not - or to rectify any misinformation that may be written down - or any interpretation of it

I would be demanding a meeting with the practice manager immediately (in person, in the practice - refusing to move until you see them - take a book)

@derby angler how did your friend get to see what was written about him if it was sent directly

This is going round in circles!!!

IF, the doctors report is incorrect, then the doctor should apologise and correct it promptly.

IF not, someone's friend may not be telling the whole story!

On 10/04/2023 at 22:27, quentyn said:

just to confirm, the Dr has stated that he was at risk of suicide but the person has never visited the Dr for this ?

no he hasnt seen the doctors for it

You don't have to visit a Doctor for this, he can make that call and enter notes in your file if he so deems at any consultation!!!!!

Edited by Dekers