Advice required - being invited shooting

GGC96

Why if the farmer was asking your mate to undertake vermin control, was the keeper involved?

Vermin control on crops is the remit of the farmer\ tenant farmer... something does not add up!

Then, a bottle of whisky is less than £20.

Was the £100 to the keeper for the day or the season?

Was it even £100?

If you were invited to a pheasant day, you would not be expected to pay for the day, but you are normally expected to tip the keeper.

I think your mate is less a mate and more a chancer....

If your mate is loaded with cash then maybe he thinks £50 is cost of a drink if he only drinks in upmarket hotels but then again if he has that much cash then you should be there free of charge; either way you been done as above. . . . why not invite him somewhere, charge him £60 for his half, then ditch him! Win-win

Just don't pay up.  It stinks.

As far as tips/drinks are concerned to my mind they are personal and I never indicate to anyone what a tip should be. I tip for the service I receive not just because I am told to.  On a 150 bird driven day that may vary from nothing (it has happened) to £50 where the day not just the birds shot was superbly arranged.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/04/2023 at 10:50, DUNKS said:

Your friend must move in expensive circles. "A drink" in my language is usually £20.

I absolutely hate when people say “just give me a drink” yet they all have very different ideas of what they expect. 

I dare say there are mates and so called mates , I can honestly say the above situation have never happened with the people I have taken out and with the people who have invited me out , not everyone is in the position where they have got good enough perms to invite other people or weather they are allowed to invite people in the first place and it is always worth a mention  with the land owner before you start taking another person .

Drink wise , the only drink I give is at Christmas , this is exactly what it is , a bottle of drink , these are given to long standing people who have given me the Pigeon shooting over the years , they wouldn't expect a drink every time I went and I couldn't afford it anyway , as my perms are near and handy I can easily look round the place two or three times a week and they look at me being a extra pair of eyes and somebody to keep an eye open for any wrong doings going on .

I know fully well if any of the land owners , farm managers or keepers expected any extra payment from me to keep an eye on the place and to shoot the Pigeons when they are hitting the various fields then our friendship would come to a close virtually overnight , where I will be heading for this afternoon to look at the Peas ( if it stop raining ) I have been going on the place for half a century and not once any payment have ever been mentioned , and I am sure it will stay like that until my shooting days have finally drawed to a close      MM 

9 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I always carry a spare bottle of water!    

do a tommy cooper................when he was doing the season in Blackpool he had the same taxi driver every night back to his digs.......at the end of the season Tommy (getting out of the cab} handed over an... envelope to the taxi driver....thanked him for his service over the season......saying there was a little drink for him for his kindness.......the taxi driver thanked him profusly....and when he got home opened the envelope ...and found all that was in it was a tea bag :lol:

• 2 months later...

It depends what your friend means to you I personally would pay him the £50 and say to him next time we go shooting I can’t afford £50  giving someone a drink for me is twenty quid or so I would like to go with you again but I just haven’t got the money to spare if he takes you again he knows where he stands the problem here is you were unaware of costs now you are members on here can give there opinion on how **** your mate is but you learn about friendship in many ways 

On 08/05/2023 at 23:56, Lloyd90 said:

I absolutely hate when people say “just give me a drink” yet they all have very different ideas of what they expect. 

A keeper once invited me onto the landlords’ day to help the old boys fill the bag. It was just me out of the syndicate and the shoot captain had always handled money and cash directly. It already felt weird but I asked the keeper how much, and he said ‘oh don’t worry just give me a drink’. I turned up with a bottle of port and a bottle of gin. All the landlords were passing him over wads of £20s and I looked a naive pillock to be handing over a couple of bottles instead. 🙈

Edited by WalkedUp