Polling day

Bigteddy1954

The inference is that Labour voters are not that bright, lack inclination and/or ability to procure the necessary form of ID prior to voting. Most cannot be ***** to go to the polls anyway so any disincentive could theoretically work to other parties advantage.

probably right to be fair.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

can only speak for Nottingham, but I would imagine its a similar story on most other councils, the debts often measured in the billions

Ours was Conservative or Con/lib I'm not sure, Labour came in and now there's debt??

1 hour ago, discobob said:

Labour have said (recently) that Wales is a model that they aspire to as it has been labour controlled for 22 years!!!

You won't be laughing at Welshies for much longer!!🤣

Some model, how to stagnate a country.

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

The 95% labour run city council has 'raised' £300 million in the last year by selling off council owned property, including housing, to counter the huge interest payments they are liable for. 

Less, of course, all the council owned council housing stock already "sold off" under Margaret Thatcher's "Right to Buy" so taking all the "cherry picked", easy to let, housing stock on desirable council estates away from the council leaving it with the expensive to maintain, difficult to let, undesirable properties on sink estates?

I guess they had a good "teacher" in Mrs Thatcher selling off Royal Ordnance, British Gas, Post Office Telephones, the water companies, the electricity companies, British Railways and all that other nationally owned property just to finance the huge tax cuts she promised?

Edited by enfieldspares

2 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I guess they had a good "teacher" in Mrs Thatcher selling off Royal Ordnance, British Gas, Post Office Telephones, the water companies, the electricity companies, British Railways and all that other nationally owned property just to finance the huge tax cuts she promised?

What are you suggesting???

They are all as bad as each other :hmm:

if mrs thatcher was still alive ...she would lock all these scallywag migrants....then every couple of months have an auction and flog them off as cheap labour to other countries...........

would that be legal ?

just an idea

17 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Less, of course, all the council owned council housing stock already "sold off" under Margaret Thatcher's "Right to Buy" so taking all the "cherry picked", easy to let, housing stock on desirable council estates away from the council leaving it with the expensive to maintain, difficult to let, undesirable properties on sink estates

I will say, in my experience the council owned sink estates, riddled with crime and poverty, have been transformed by Thatchers discounted right to buy scheme. 

When someone owns their own property, they have more pride in their home, street, and estate. 

For many it was their only chance to get on the property ladder, lots of them became, through sales, more financially stable, and that can't be a bad thing. 

Many social housing projects these days go straight to housing management companies, with no right to buy, and end up like the sink estates of the 70s and 80s.

A backwards move that creates stagnation. 

Whatever Thatchers shortcomings, she did something to create change, the Blair government, spent a decade trying to undo those changes, and the mess created has left the tories nowadays, unable to create the changes necessary to fix it all. 

We need another strong leader, and it isn't Sunak, and it most definitely isn't Starmer. 

4 hours ago, discobob said:

On the main - yes - but there are sometimes things that look innocuous - perhaps a single line on page 1096 (you get my meaning) that will give them carte blanche to mess our lives up when read a certain way (doublespeak) 

Maybe, boredom and benefits have become the opium of the masses?

57 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Whatever Thatchers shortcomings, she did something to create change, the Blair government, spent a decade trying to undo those changes, and the mess created has left the tories nowadays, unable to create the changes necessary to fix it all. 

We need another strong leader, and it isn't Sunak, and it most definitely isn't Starmer. 

🤣 Tories have demonstrated they are unable to do anything torn between indecision and ineptitude. Riven with corruption and a shocking record of non delivery. There is not a single positive thing that they have achieved in over a decade. There record on the economy sets a standard that even third world countries would be ashamed of. 

Your right its time for a change. 

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

🤣 Tories have demonstrated they are unable to do anything torn between indecision and ineptitude. Riven with corruption and a shocking record of non delivery. There is not a single positive thing that they have achieved in over a decade. There record on the economy sets a standard that even third world countries would be ashamed of. 

Your right its time for a change. 

And then you look at Wales which the labour party are holding up as an example what should  be achieved and the Tories start to look good again.

7 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Unless it backfired, and it's actually Conservative voters that don't have ID :hmm:

I don't think it's a ploy anyway. It's been on the cards for a while to have ID to vote. But hey who knows ... I had ID and I genuitdidnt really know who to go for. Currently the whole country is in a mess. But there isn't anything I'd want to replace it as it's either going to be the same or worse in my opinion... 

9 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

I don't think it's a ploy anyway. It's been on the cards for a while to have ID to vote. But hey who knows ... I had ID and I genuitdidnt really know who to go for. Currently the whole country is in a mess. But there isn't anything I'd want to replace it as it's either going to be the same or worse in my opinion... 

It was said firmly tongue in cheek :good:

1 hour ago, Weihrauch17 said:

This and it's why I didn't vote yesterday for the first time in 40 years.

Neither did I, and I can't see me voting in the next general election either, not unless there's a radical shake up in the political system.

I can't help thinking we'd be better off now if we'd kept Boris (whatever wrong doings he was guilty of).

As I said many months ago, people are very fed up of this current Government. 

A vote of anything is better than the current lot. 

Prepare for a Labour Government. 

Now for the “if you think this lot are bad, just wait to see how bad it is under Labour” posts! 

8 hours ago, scolopax said:

The inference is that Labour voters are not that bright, lack inclination and/or ability to procure the necessary form of ID prior to voting. Most cannot be ***** to go to the polls anyway so any disincentive could theoretically work to other parties advantage.

probably right to be fair.

Considering the Conservatives have just lost hundreds of local seats; and the press are reporting they are absolutely rock bottom, they must be counting themselves lucky if most Labour supporters couldn’t be bothered to turn out to vote 😬

3 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

This and it's why I didn't vote yesterday for the first time in 40 years.

i feel your pain........................just out of interest who would you vote for ....or is that just a too personal question

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

i feel your pain........................just out of interest who would you vote for ....or is that just a too personal question

Personally, I cannot support any party. Both Labour and Conservatives have some policies that I agree with and others that I don't, and in my own area even if I wanted to support Labour it would make no difference, even a monkey wearing a blue rosette would win - and has! Actual democracy can only exist in marginal seat.

Back in 1887 Lord Acton wrote that " Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely" and I think that the current government has proved this to be true, it's time for a change even if the replacement is far from perfect.

Which leaves us with Labour, because I see no point in voting for the Liberals, Greens or anyone else that cannot win.

But, as a shooter, I worry that Labour will be even worse for us than the conservatives.