Fly Fishing Reel

SuperGoose75

Not long out of the tackle shop and had a bit of a different opinion on which side the handle of reel should be attached on the rod for a right hander.

I think and was certain I was correct in saying the handle of the reel should be put on with the handle on the right side as opposed to a coventional spinning reel.

The people in the shop disagreed and said If they asked ten fishermen then 9 would say I was wrong. 

What do the PW fly fishermen say on the matter? 

It goes on the left side I am right handed but all ways fish with reel on left side of rod .

You don’t see mean right handed people fishing with the fly reel on the right side of rod

you have more control with the right hand than the left to play the fish 

I was a professional ghillie before i retired and this subject came up very often with a lot of clients. Basically it was personal choice, but if you want my thoughts here goes.

Remember we are talking double hand fly rod here. 

Reel on right hand side, handle doesnt catch on jacket or clothing when fish runs, some also said it was because they were right handed.

I personally fish with handle on left for good reasons, after casting you are holding rod with right hand, when fish takes its just a matter of lifting rod and reel comes up automatically to your left hand ready for the fight.

If reel on right you would have to change hands, what a kafuffle!

Fly reel handle on opposite side to casting hand, so you can cast/hold rod and reel with the other :) 

1 hour ago, billytheghillie said:

I was a professional ghillie before i retired and this subject came up very often with a lot of clients. Basically it was personal choice, but if you want my thoughts here goes.

Remember we are talking double hand fly rod here. 

Reel on right hand side, handle doesnt catch on jacket or clothing when fish runs, some also said it was because they were right handed.

I personally fish with handle on left for good reasons, after casting you are holding rod with right hand, when fish takes its just a matter of lifting rod and reel comes up automatically to your left hand ready for the fight.

If reel on right you would have to change hands, what a kafuffle!

Depends which is your 2-hand lead hand.  I am lucky to be ambidextrous on this and can cast 2-handed with either left or right hand leading, so makes changing to opposite bank nice and easy :)  :) 

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Right handed. On left, but in the main only use the reel to store the line.

"use reel to store the line" - ok for small fish etc, but if you are for example sea fly-fishing for bonefish / tarpon / permit etc you have to fight the fish from the reel - no way you can cope hand stripping line back after a milkfish goes 150yds !!!!  I wouldn't play a salmon here in the UK unless fight it from the reel  :) 

3 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Not long out of the tackle shop and had a bit of a different opinion on which side the handle of reel should be attached on the rod for a right hander.

Snobbery and, to an extent, tradition based on practicality that then has led to this snobbery.

Originally here "down South" fly fishing was done into running waters be they streams or rivers from an angler walking along the bank. He'd be encumbered with a creel, perhaps, or at least a bag of some sort to carry his catch and on the other hip a folding landing net. A salmon angler using a fly might also in those times also have had a gaff on his hip.

Now being a right hander it would make sense that so it didn't catch on whatever was on his right hip the handle would be on the right side of the reel and he'd hold the rod when playing a fish with his left hand.

That's similar BTW to how we use as right handers, a bolt action rifle. The left hand holds the rifle and the right hand manipulates the bolt the handle of which is on the righ hand side of the rifle.

So Hardy only, at one time, made its famous Perfect reel as right hand wind.

Yet truth is for many of us our right arm is also our strongest arm is our right arm and for those that fish stillwaters from a boat all your kit os on the floor of the boat so there's no need for the handle to be on the right hand side. Indeed there is much advantage to holding the rod in the stronger right arm and operating the reel by the left hand. So many opted for a a left hand wind set up where a reel could be assembled to do that such.

And therefore a stillwater fishing became the first point of entry into fly fishing for many so the left hand wind reel became the most common configured set up for those many fly fishermen.

3 hours ago, snow white said:

You have more control with the right hand than the left to play the fish 

This see also where I say the same.

3 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

This. See again where I say the same.

Right handed fisherman here, fly and spinning reel handles all on the left. If sea fishing then the multiplier reel handle is on the right.

Load fron my belt or left pocket using my left hand . Have an assisted opening sxs which helps tremendously.

My fishing is limited to occasional loch/river trout on a fly with a single handed light (No 5) rod.  Small fish (often under a pound) and I'm (strongly) right handed;

• Right hand controls the rod, casting, playing etc.
  • Left hand manages the reel and line.

I also shoot from the right shoulder and load from the left pocket, both with a self opening gun or a standard (ejector of non ejector gun).

Some interesting views gents. Seems very much like the men in the shop were correct in saying that I was in the minority with my view on the matter. 

I am probably too long in the tooth now to change my way but will teach my son to wind the reel with the left hand. 

Here is an old boy who I found on youtube who fished his fly rod as I do! Nice little film of times gone by. Thanks for the input.