Statins

Imperfection

In October 2019 i suffered a series of strokes and ever since, i take seven tablets daily to keep me sunny side up.🌞 I was 49 years old, not overweight, non smoker, and in general good health...or so i thought. 😄

One of the drugs i take is astorvastin and it dont agree with me. Ever since being prescribed it, my muscles feel tight, twisted and ache. Its hard to pinpoint what i can attribute to the medication or the stroke. I know i dont walk as well as i used to and limp on my right side but upper body strength has gone on left.

Anyhow, i decided to stop taking it last Saturday (seven days ago) and my body feels a little better. I know i need to speak to my doc but thats like trying to guess lottery numbers. 

Has anyone else on here been on or currently take statins?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, been on them for about 10 years.

Muscle pain is a known side effect which can be resolved by changing the brand, but the first stage is talk to your doc and I certainly wouldn’t stop taking mine!

21 minutes ago, amateur said:

Muscle pain is a known side effect which can be resolved by changing the brand, but the first stage is talk to your doc and I certainly wouldn’t stop taking mine!

yup same year....about the same time............i take my pills at exactly the same time everyday.....and when i feel myself locking up i take a couple of Ibrufen and after about 30 mins i feel alot better..........

29 minutes ago, amateur said:

Trouble is, trying to speak to my doc or any doc. I've only ever met mine about three times. Because i had the stroke in October 2019, the pandemic struck soon after and everything changed. 

Looks like im sitting on the phone Monday.

I have been on them a couple of years, I have changed types a couple of times and dosage, Simvastatin seem to suit me the best, I could not cope with the Astorvastin, made me feel terrible, ask your GP to try a different type. I also need to drink plenty of water as they make me very thirsty just after taking them 

Edited by Dave66

27 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

I have been on them a couple of years, I have changed types a couple of times and dosage, Simvastatin seem to suit me the best, I could not cope with the Astorvastin, made me feel terrible, ask your GP to try a different type. I also need to drink plenty of water as they make me very thirsty just after taking them 

Problem is, one of the other drugs make me pee (a lot) and that makes me wary of how much i drink. I'll try ringing the surgery Monday.

38 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

me too christ i down enuff water to float the Titanic sometimes

I've been on statins for 15 years after a couple of heart jobs. On no account stop taking them, if you have a problem then persevere with your GP until you reach a satisfactory conclusion. They will extend your life and its worth taking the trouble to sort it out.

I have had six stents fitted in my heart, I am 77 and had the last stent fitted 12 years ago. The doctor prescribed statins and I had bad reactions and we tried a number of different ones. also tried blood thinners that I reacted to. In the end the doctor and I agreed that quality of life was more important than a long life with the bad reactions to drugs every day. Keep a diary of the side effects and talk to your doctor, if you tell the receptionist you are experiencing side effect to drugs i am sure you will be fast tracked to the doctor. All the best.   

I was in a similar situation over 20 years ago, just after I retired. I too was taking Statins and suffering most of the side effects mentioned above. I was running a shooting ground at the time and a regular shooter happened to be a Consultant at Southport Hospital. He was watching me clearing up on one occasion and asked me if I was on Statins. He advised me to stop taking them. I now only take Ibruprofen, but only for pain relief and certainly not on a regular basis. I am now nearly 80 and still reasonably fit, apart from usual knee and shoulder pain. In fact I am taking a group of 10, for their first experience of shooting clays, in about 2 hours time. Mind you, just as a precaution,  my shooting buddy is a retired GP   😄

11 hours ago, Genghis said:

I have to admit, having a stroke is one of my worst fears. You said good health, but were there any warning signs at all - high blood pressure, family history, etc?

Glad that you’re ok.

Strokes run in my family-both sides. One doc said its unfortunate but you were destined to have a stroke at some point in your life because of family history.  I always knew strokes run in the family so had taken aspirin everyday for almost 20 years prior to getting ill but that did nothing. My sister has heart problems so this is an issue which isnt going away.

People dont understand when i say my muscles are locked up. 

I take Atorvastatin daily after a very nasty heart attack nearly four years ago with no apparent side effects at all. Just had a shed load of blood tests for my annual "well man" and everything running as it should for an 87 year old.

PS. I dont do much jogging!

Hi all, slight tangent but related. I’ve been diagnosed with high blood pressure/hypertension.  My usual doctor response is take a tablet, good bye. As we get older l the risk of stokes, heart disease etc no doubt goes up.

I’m sure my blood pressure is increased by stress and whilst I’m happy to take a pill if it saves my life, I’d rather not have to.

I was once more active but as I’ve got busier in my career and with a family now I find time for such things as going for a run harder to find. 

I was wondering what results people have had by including more exercise in theirs routine. 

I know any exercise is better than none, but I’m more interested in people’s results regarding blood pressure, cholesterol or such related things. 

Hiya All

Simvastatin here as Atorvaststin dinae agree with me.........amongst a handful of other prescribed stuff, with the usial multivit/vitD/Vit E/Magnesium etc.

S not as bad as A for me leastways - cramp in leg muscles like torture!

L

39 minutes ago, Loki said:

Hiya All

Simvastatin here as Atorvaststin dinae agree with me.........amongst a handful of other prescribed stuff, with the usial multivit/vitD/Vit E/Magnesium etc.

S not as bad as A for me leastways - cramp in leg muscles like torture!

L

Strange. I was the other way about. Simvastatin gave me aches and pains, Atorvastsatin doesn't.

4 hours ago, lister1 said:

I know any exercise is better than none, but I’m more interested in people’s results regarding blood pressure, cholesterol or such related things. 

My BP sat in my office right now at 2:30pm is 127/72 which isn't perfect but ok (when i had the strokes it were 200+ and this is not a joke). I try to walk every where if i can and am doing my hardest to stay active-im built for comfort-not speed.

I dont have the easiest job and spend much of my time sat on my fat bottom driving but i work unsociable hours in unsociable places dealing with unsociable people. It isn't stressful (not for me anyway) but you do need to be on your guard working at night. Most people at 1:00am just want to stab me. 🔪

1 hour ago, Imperfection said:

My BP sat in my office right now at 2:30pm is 127/72 which isn't perfect but ok (when i had the strokes it were 200+ and this is not a joke). I try to walk every where if i can and am doing my hardest to stay active-im built for comfort-not speed.

I dont have the easiest job and spend much of my time sat on my fat bottom driving but i work unsociable hours in unsociable places dealing with unsociable people. It isn't stressful (not for me anyway) but you do need to be on your guard working at night. Most people at 1:00am just want to stab me. 🔪

Maybe your DJ ing skills need working on  ?   

I've had the same Buddy , they tried me on those what you're on and they made me feel terrible, so tried others and they where the same, so I'm on pravastatin now and ent 2 bad🤔🤞, I think they try the cheapest onya to start with💰

21 minutes ago, Morkin said:

I've had the same Buddy , they tried me on those what you're on and they made me feel terrible, so tried others and they where the same, so I'm on pravastatin now and ent 2 bad🤔🤞, I think they try the cheapest onya to start with💰

I know they start with the cheapest. One drug made my right leg swell to the point i couldn't walk another gave me a hacking cough which felt like i was bringing up a lung. 

42 minutes ago, Westley said:

Maybe your DJ ing skills need working on  ?   

lol-if only.😄