Mouse trap bait

sutty2006

I have found that perhaps the most important thing (certainly for the older 'Selfset' and 'Little Nipper') is to have the bait really firmly secured to the bait spike type trigger on the trap, which is why I think melted on chocolate has been successful. 

I have no longer use the modern plastic traps (which use 'dish' through a hole in a weight sensitive platform as a trigger) as I have had several occasions where the mouse has not been cleanly killed and has made some distance with the trap attached.

8 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have found that perhaps the most important thing (certainly for the older 'Selfset' and 'Little Nipper') is to have the bait really firmly secured to the bait spike type trigger on the trap, which is why I think melted on chocolate has been successful. 

I have no longer use the modern plastic traps (which use 'dish' through a hole in a weight sensitive platform as a trigger) as I have had several occasions where the mouse has not been cleanly killed and has made some distance with the trap attached.

Hence cutting a small piece of chocolate and super-gluing it to the trigger!  :rolleyes:

On 15/06/2023 at 08:58, JohnfromUK said:

That's why I put mine in the plastic down spout, they can't come in from a funny angle, I find them brilliant 👌 peanut butter pushed into the cup, Whack.

I’ve been back up to my unit today. Nothing on the traps. Only one fresh dump on the roof of my car, nothing like what was there the other day. Above the car, and the area in question is a rafter with a light on it. I can’t see anything hanging from it, or in the near vicinity so maybe if it is bats, they’ve moved on. It was midday when I came up, unless they have other hiding places too. 

0AA11227-F936-467F-ABE3-B40742C19249.jpeg.0d00aae9bcb998f05b5940501aa1c4ee.jpeg

the traps on the floor are untouched too. 

5420595F-74EF-44C9-88C6-967CD63B778E.jpeg.98d12899f117227cbbade103fead09ec.jpeg

I have been having good success using a peanut on the mouse trap in my garage. up until recently.

every other  night the peanut had gone without setting the trap off. I had set the trap as sensitive as I could but over a two week period, the same result. I was on the point of setting my trail camera up in order See how he was managing to do it.

Then I got a result this morning and saw that it had taken two of them to set the mousetrap off.

8E124FA3-673C-43FC-A56F-2CDB47895A74.jpeg.a88f6240a088c16c667f1b5f5669402e.jpeg

Two flipping slugs.😀

Edited by Good shot?

I have tried chocolate Nutella but it didn't work as well as good old "mousetrap" cheddar, it works pretty well despite the detractors, you can leave it until it has gone old and gnarly so no need to refresh it too often. I have caught plenty in my garage over the years. I don't really mind meece but they like to eat their way into my shooting/fishing clothes to make their nests so they have to go. RIP!

On 22/06/2023 at 16:56, martinj said:

I have tried chocolate Nutella but it didn't work as well as good old "mousetrap" cheddar, it works pretty well despite the detractors, you can leave it until it has gone old and gnarly so no need to refresh it too often. I have caught plenty in my garage over the years. I don't really mind meece but they like to eat their way into my shooting/fishing clothes to make their nests so they have to go. RIP!

Yes Meece are a worry as I have 2 classic cars and a 2 shells of cars in the unit so interior damage is a worry. I’ll be popping back up on Tuesday afternoon to check the cardboard I’ve put on top of a car and see if it’s been pee’d on. If it has, the problem still persists and I need to kick it up a notch. 

• 2 weeks later...