3 planes over Somerset

team tractor

2 hours ago, wisdom said:

It's the hercules final flight before they get stood down.They did a tour of the UK then a flight for King C. On the trooping of the colour.

I did wonder that but I know that was Tuesday I thought ???  Even so it was cool to watch 

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Hercules, C130s. Transport. 4 are rigged for Parachuting.

I do believe the fleet is slowly retiring it maybe something to do with that.

Retirement flight was planned around the uk Tuesday but I did think it might be Hercules 

They have served the armed forces very well indeed.

Same as the sea king did.Which was great to work with.

Getting long in the tooth now though.

I wonder if some will be mothballed as we never know in the current climate when they will be needed

4 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Hercules, C130s. Transport. 4 are rigged for Parachuting.

I do believe the fleet is slowly retiring it maybe something to do with that.

Not surprised folk wanted to jump out - most uncomfortable things I ever sat in.

Flying back from Red Flag at Nellis we staged at Gander. On touch down on an icy runway the aircraft suddenly slewed about 20 to 30 degrees. The captain came on the intercom and said, "OK guys I've got it". Then after a pregnant pause, added, "I think". There wasn't a man in that freight bay who didn't wish he'd kept quiet after the first bit. :oops:

5 hours ago, wisdom said:

They have served the armed forces very well indeed.

Same as the sea king did.Which was great to work with.

Getting long in the tooth now though.

I wonder if some will be mothballed as we never know in the current climate when they will be needed

I heard from people who worked on Sea Kings that they were hanger queens, albeit simple to work on, if that makes sense.

3 hours ago, wymberley said:

Not surprised folk wanted to jump out - most uncomfortable things I ever sat in.

Heard from yet different folk (can you tell I worked for MoD contractors?) that they dealt with the heat & noise signature by dumping it inside the airframe 😂 

Somewhat tongue in cheek but can imagine that’s what you get with a design from the 50s, albeit the variants just retired are late 90s era