Plastic residue removal

B391

33 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, have you tried a bronze brush on a drill but careful with the metal that holds the brush, this is my now go to barrel cleaner Napier bore solvent 

Not tried the drill but have soaked and bronze brushed it. Shooting tomorrow so will give it a soak and a scrub.

Thanks for the Napier advice

8 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Eds Red with acetone will shift it. Shame you dont give your location, if you are close to me I could let you have some.

Eds Red - not heard of that -  i'll have a look for it,

oh, south coast so miles away but thanks for the offer 

15 hours ago, joejoe said:

Gt85 or wd40 should remove it. 

Had a major issue cleaning barrels after steel shot last season -  black skin inside the barrels.  Resolved with WD-40 on a brass brush, left a minute then vigorous strokes up/down barrels - like new and only 2-3 minutes per barrel (make sure removeable chokes are tight in the barrels first!!)

Edited by stockybasher
Typo error

15 hours ago, B391 said:

I lent my Beretta to a friend who shot a load of plastic wad through it and using just Legia I am having trouble cleaning it.

I only shoot fibre and never had a problem with Legia before.

Advice welcomed please

Put a few felt wad cartridges through it, soon clean the plastic out.

Seeing a few plastic deposits down the barrels is something that has never bothered me, plus when you lend the gun to your mate again the plastic will be back.:)

Its simple to remove, get a chamber brush - it's slightly wider and considerably thicker and more brushy than the bronze cleaning brush. 

Squirt some wd40 or other solvent like cleaner down the barrell. 

Use the chamber brush to scrub it out, a mk1 hand and bit of elbow action will suffice. Hey presto it's all gone. No need for any drill attachments or other silly business. Takes about 5 min all in. 

57 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Its simple to remove, get a chamber brush - it's slightly wider and considerably thicker and more brushy than the bronze cleaning brush. 

Squirt some wd40 or other solvent like cleaner down the barrell. 

Use the chamber brush to scrub it out, a mk1 hand and bit of elbow action will suffice. Hey presto it's all gone. No need for any drill attachments or other silly business. Takes about 5 min all in. 

This ! Chamber brush , gun oil and scrubbing.

Or just don’t bother as chrome lined barrels won’t pit. Just use fibres next time and squirt of oil and pull thru

Shot about a 100 fibre through it this morning and when home heavily sprayed with a borrowed can of Phillips bore cleaner. Scrubed and re-scrubed with a bore brush and now 90+% cleaer.  I'm shooting Tuesday so I will give it another good soak and scrub. 

Thanks for all the advice :)

I have a friend who shoots a Beretta 694 and they seem particularly prone to fouling in the chambers and forcing cones. I used a spray of GT85 (£1.50 in Aldi), left it for 30 minutes, then used an old worn bronze brush wrapped thinly with some 0000 grade steel wool, 1 section of wooden rod in my electric drill. Job done without any problems or damage. I use 0000 grade steel wool on woodwork and it does not scratch that so I doubt it will harm barrels.

I posted on here a while back under ( Dirty barrels) we both shoot 694s and both had trouble getting the barrels clean.

Mine are ok now and no trouble to clean but my pals are still a pain.  Perhaps he should have a change of cartridges.

He uses fibre one week and plastic the next.

7 minutes ago, samboy said:

I posted on here a while back under ( Dirty barrels) we both shoot 694s and both had trouble getting the barrels clean.

Mine are ok now and no trouble to clean but my pals are still a pain.  Perhaps he should have a change of cartridges.

He uses fibre one week and plastic the next.

Plastic really does make the barrels dirty IMHO, mind you I only shoot fibre as virtually everywhere I shoot is only fibre and one choice of cartridge keeps it simple for me

8 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

How often are people changing their phosphor bronze?

I have a Payne Gallwey pattern one.  I have never changed it (30+ years), but do wash it out from time to time (white spirit or petrol).  Pop in a small 'jam' jar and shake well!

16 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have a Payne Gallwey pattern one.  I have never changed it (30+ years), but do wash it out from time to time (white spirit or petrol).  Pop in a small 'jam' jar and shake well!

Maybe they were made better back then. After 2 years the bristles on mine are starting to look a little tatty, and definitely could do with a good clean or replacement. For the sake of £6 or so I may just replace, I guess I didn't know what the normal lifespan was!

6 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

Maybe they were made better back then.

The Payne Gallwey types were (when I bought mine) very densely bristled (actually brass not phosphor bronze) and well made - but they were expensive compared to a standard brush (like about 5x the price).  The standard ones I have had have only lasted a while, but the Payne Gallwey is in a different league - and I use a shape 'keeper' made of a piece of copper water pipe with a penny soldered on the end to stop it getting flat on one side.  I don't think all of the current crop of Payne Gallwey types are of the same quality (or price).

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Gentlemen, save a lot of the time and effort, invest in a Paradox Gun Cleaner!    

My personal experience is that these will not remove plastic fouling nor leading.

The good, old fashioned Turk’s Head brush worked well, or the modern Tornado brush.

2 minutes ago, samboy said:

Is there much difference in performance between plastic and fibre assuming you were using no 8s 

of the same brand of cartridge ?.

The only difference I have ever noticed is that fibre wads do not leave plastic residue in the barrels.