CHANGE OF ADDRESS ON SGC

DUNKS

My son has recently sent off his SGC "Notts" for a change of address. He has been told they will return his new modified cert when they have photographic proof that his new house is fitted with an alarm system and a video doorbell. Anyone else getting this? His move is to an almost identical house in the same area as his old one.

4 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

My son has recently sent off his SGC "Notts" for a change of address. He has been told they will return his new modified cert when they have photographic proof that his new house is fitted with an alarm system and a video doorbell. Anyone else getting this? His move is to an almost identical house in the same area as his old one.

Not a legal requirement. If he's a member of BASC, tell him to contact them. I had a similar problem a few years ago, and BASC sorted it out.

Sounds like another attempt to make gun ownership more difficult by adding greater costs just like they did with the medical forms and doctors fees! In this case it is out of order,and needs nipping in the bud. Makes you think though how long until this does actually become a legal requirement? Numbers of SGC holders will fall rapidly in future as only those with deep enough pockets will be allowed to continue their sport.

When I got my first SGC in 1972,age 14,shotguns could be hung on the wall,or stood in a corner,the serial numbers weren’t even recorded,and we had as many as we wanted as I recall.

Edited by TOPGUN749

Video doorbell is certainly a new one.

Obviously contact your organisation, but...think carefully about whether this is a hill on which he wishes to die, especially with the game season just around the corner.

Personally, I have both an alarm and a video doorbell, and I'd have both irrespective of if I owned firearms or not.

15 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Not a legal requirement.

7 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Makes you think though how long until this does actually become a legal requirement?

Police forces are allowed to interpret the Home Office Security Guidelines as they see fit.  Those who wish for a firmer legal footing should be careful what they wish for.

52 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Sounds like another attempt to make gun ownership more difficult by adding greater costs just like they did with the medical forms and doctors fees! In this case it is out of order,and needs nipping in the bud. Makes you think though how long until this does actually become a legal requirement? Numbers of SGC holders will fall rapidly in future as only those with deep enough pockets will be allowed to continue their sport.

ask most rank and file police officers and they will tell you that in their opinion the public should not be allowed to have guns, slippery slope me thinks.

9 hours ago, London Best said:

And I don’t have a house alarm and don’t want one as nobody ever takes any notice of them.

Except you of course.

You'd pay attention to your own alarm.

Alarms are not stand alone bell boxes anymore (haven't been for donkey's years), they will notify you, or the police/monitoring station (if you pay for it).

Edited by Newbie to this

10 hours ago, old'un said:

ask most rank and file police officers and they will tell you that in their opinion the public should not be allowed to have guns, slippery slope me thinks.

I'd strongly disagree with that statement. 

11 hours ago, DUNKS said:

I believe it will be a risk assessment based on crime rates in that area. 

I don't believe that's a good measure of house security. I think the alarm will be mostly ignored and the ring doorbell is only good for trying to trace a perpetrator and rarely discourages a criminal activity when something like chewing gum can cover the camera. 

I think both are poor interpretations of the guidelines, there will be some rationale but without seeing the house and location and thought process we can all guess away. It does seem like superfluous requirements though. 

21 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Which area/county?

22 hours ago, DUNKS said:

1 hour ago, Robden said:

Which area/county?

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE?