How VERY Sad!

TIGHTCHOKE

When will people learn?

Woman travels to Turkey for a BUTTOCK AUGMENTATION Procedure.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-66784272

Apparently according to the BBC she wasn't given enough information to make a sound judgement about the risk involved.

She is now DEAD.

What a bloody waste.

I cannot for the life of me understand why either male or female have anything done to alter they way they look. I passed a women in our local shop with lips that must have been protruding an inch, another with eye brows pained on with a paint roller, then the backsides that are not dissimilar to having footballs implanted into lycra leggings. 

The only word i'd use is "stupid"

I wonder if there’s an element of some kind of mental issue here? It’s often some of the already naturally pretty girls who choose to go down this route; spending so much money to make themselves look cheap. I just don’t get it. Perhaps I’m just too old to get it? 
The more I see the more they remind me of those blow up dolls behind Dels sofa. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Scully

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I wonder if there’s an element of some kind of mental issue here? It’s often some of the already naturally pretty girls who choose to go down this route; spending so much money to make themselves look cheap. I just don’t get it. Perhaps I’m just too old to get it? 
The more I see the more they remind me of those blow up dolls behind Dels sofa. 🤷‍♂️

She was, apparently, a 'a psychological well-being practitioner at mental health charity Mind.' It's so often the case that those with mental health issues end up working for mental health charities. They're obviously able to give great insight to help others, but then you're surrounding someone with mental health issues with mental health issues constantly. Sadly it's not uncommon for it all to end badly. 

Pretty devastating for her family

Very sad indeed.

For most the unfortunate risks of vanity due to the ever burgeoning social validation driven by social media.

Some of the most common cosmetic health tourism complications I encounter are following surgical eyebrow lifts, breast augmentaion, gastric bypass, gastic sleeving, abdominoplasty also known as a tummy tuck. I can easily say I must have seen patients amounting well into double figures in the last twelve months or so, all with complications and sadly no doubt we are seeing more and more. Every single one of these patients had flown to Turkey for the surgery and I had been the first clinician to see them since arriving home. 

Most who have presented have had some type of complication be it minor, moderate or severe. Complications can be varied and present as infection, wound breakdown, surgical haematoma (collection of blood at the surgical site or proximal of the site) neurovascular deficit (damage to the blood flow or nerve damage) circulatory compromise such as clots in the blood (dvt/pe) and of course sepsis to name a few.

All have required some form of intervention from the NHS in way of an acute consulation presentation, some within short hours of arriving back off the plane, some within the next few days. My intervention has required me to prescribe antibiotics for a few, however for a fair proportion I have end up referring for urgent same day surgical review due to possible life threatening complications.

When I have asked patients the reason why they chose to have the surgery abroad mostly the answers have a common theme, accessibility, affordability and quote, "if anything goes wrong the NHS will pick up the peices"

Many will report that they experienced very poor pre and post surgical care. On returning home with concerns or complications upon contacting the clinic abroad to be told to go the nhs, furnished with very little information on which surgery they have had carried out, when and where it was done and by whom.

There will always be commensurate morbidity and mortality cost in sectors which are largely unregulated. I work in one unit out of a couple of hundred in the country so between all these units, gp practice and people presenting directly to AED the numbers and financial cost must be eye watering.

We are more regulated here in the UK  but still there are areas of the market that are largely unregulated such as Botox and dermal fillers, Christ, here in Liverpool you can get it done in the hair salons by Sara the beautician.

How about this one gents,  'SCROTOX' that is Botox into the ball sack to make it 'tighten up'😬 Cost about £1k and last about 6 months. Zikes!

Surely these people have to sign some kind of waiver for the foreign hospital or surgeon to cover for infection, sepsis, surgery augmentation or even as in this instance Death?????.. Patients regardless of race or religion deserve compensation?  Somebody with better knowledge sort me out here please?

Pushkin😕

My neighbour is a Turkey Regular, practices " Beauty Practitioner as a job, plenty of rubber boobs,red faces and liferaft lips visit her everyday. Its not for me, i like a natural look,but within my petrol head friend group is a much younger lad,a bit of an adult model,tinder,ect, a VERY busy lad. To talk with him about modern life at length without any family connection,just for laughs over a beer its very different to my younger days  probably yours too if you are a bit aged like me. He finds enhancements an attraction. 

I still don't understand why some of these young ladies want to paint (tatooooo) silly pictures on their bodies. Maybe THAT is a sign of mental health problems. After all most things are put down to MHPs these days. Bit like every thing that went wrong a couple of years ago, was down to covid.

1 hour ago, Robden said:

I still don't understand why some of these young ladies want to paint (tatooooo) silly pictures on their bodies. Maybe THAT is a sign of mental health problems. After all most things are put down to MHPs these days. Bit like every thing that went wrong a couple of years ago, was down to covid.

Wouldn’t that have to equally apply to males also? 
I know most people have some mental health hang up of some type, but my daughter is an artist, and as such wants to be a tattoo artist. OH has a friend who is also a tattooist; both have tattoos ( not OH ) but I don’t think either have any mental health issues. 
Neither have any tattoos on display. 

A bloke i know owns a beauty salon, He has gotten into administering botox in a big way & is making a fortune out of it. He has no medical qualifications whatsoever & probably doesnt care. Just down the road is a tanning parlour & some of the women you see coming in & out of there are a sight to behold, to my eyes deformed.

But if you think they look bad at 25? can you imagine what they are going to look like at 60!

13 hours ago, Dougy said:

I cannot for the life of me understand why either male or female have anything done to alter they way they look. I passed a women in our local shop with lips that must have been protruding an inch, another with eye brows pained on with a paint roller, then the backsides that are not dissimilar to having footballs implanted into lycra leggings. 

The only word i'd use is "stupid"

Nearly right Dougy, "£1^& stupid" more like?

I have a niece, she has always been fairly large, but so is her mother and it is down to the lack of exercise and eating like a horse.This niece went and had a gastric band fitted privately nearly two years ago, a week after having it done she was in intensive care in an NHS hospital with an infection, it spread, she has had numerous operations to fight it with various bits chopped out, the wounds won't heal and she comes out of hospital for a few days every month or so and then back in to be looked after and to try and stabalise and heal the gaping wounds.
Now this wasn't done in Turkey or abroad, it was done in a private clinic in Birmingham.

I think it is safe to say it has ruined her life, and she will never be fit and healthy again, it's a shame as her two young kids worry about their mum and spend most of the time visiting her in hospital.

Why people have these procedures is beyond me.

1 hour ago, welsh1 said:

Why people have these procedures is beyond me.

I think most people on this forum are old enough now to know that how you appear to others isn’t important, and old enough not to care what others may think. 
Youngsters however, especially those with low self esteem or any value of themselves, are constantly bombarded via social media by their peers into believing that these things do matter; that there is a set ideal image that they need to conform too. It’s very sad. 

23 minutes ago, Scully said:

I think most people on this forum are old enough now to know that how you appear to others isn’t important, and old enough not to care what others may think. 
Youngsters however, especially those with low self esteem or any value of themselves, are constantly bombarded via social media by their peers into believing that these things do matter; that there is a set ideal image that they need to conform too. It’s very sad. 

I couldn't agree more the whole of society has become so superficial, you only have to look at not only social media but main stream TV programs like Love Island. Its a sad state to be in as a country.

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Laziness?

Laziness is the wrong word, it is more correctly (assuming no complications) looking to be effortless.

Many people use up vast reserves of mental energy by trying to use will power to solve an issue rather than address the underlying issues... i.e. "go on a diet" for 6 weeks until they reach a target but then go back to the same routine as before and end up even heavier.

What is needed is a change in lifestyle where you don't go back to the smae routine but that requires effort (Including mental reprogramming), however for £50 to £5,000 you can have someone give you Botox to a gastric band and "instantly" you are cured..... - no effort just money

Just now, Stonepark said:

Laziness is the wrong word, it is more correctly (assuming no complications) looking to be effortless.

Many people use up vast reserves of mental energy by trying to use will power to solve an issue rather than address the underlying issues... i.e. "go on a diet" for 6 weeks until they reach a target but then go back to the same routine as before and end up even heavier.

What is needed is a change in lifestyle where you don't go back to the smae routine but that requires effort (Including mental reprogramming), however for £50 to £5,000 you can have someone give you Botox to a gastric band and "instantly" you are cured..... - no effort just money

Okay I can go with "WITHOUT ANY EFFORT"

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Looking for a better more attractive body without putting any effort in!   :cool1:

But a lot of these cosmetic surgeries have nothing to do with weight and everything to do with biology being considered wrong. No amount of healthy eating and exercise is going to enlarge a woman's breast size. It's not going to give fuller lips, or a more perfect nose shape. Dietary or lifestyle changes would not have given this poor girl the behind she wanted

The problem is the battle between what is healthy and what they want to look like. For many, surgery's considered the only option to give them what biology could never do. It's just miserable and it has nothing to do with laziness.