I am off to protest: 20mph Wales

discobob

22 hours ago, Mice! said:

I would gladly see speed cameras outside all schools on roads that need them, speed limits shouldn't be higher than 30mph even on main roads going past schools.

The numbers of cameras you see now are ridiculous,  it's pure money making, I go past two every week on the A590, one facing each way, on a rural road, with no reason for it to be that at all 60mph, yet people will slow down to 45 and creep past.

Drive around Preston or Blackburn these days and it's either average speed cameras or cameras on hills

Mm, some schools here leave the 20 sigh lit all day and litter the footways with signs for the partially sighted to trip over all day?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lad has gone to Sheffeild today - missed the train - but that was down to him as I told him what time we needed to leave and he came out 10 minutes later - as it only takes 15 minutes in his head - well not any more. However, it has caused me to look at the map now to see what it reports

image.png.67a0c1e1046ecdccc1e32229031067c3.png 

So - for me to do almost twice the distance it would only add on 25% to the time - here is the routes to just show you how daft this is...

image.png.273e3211c4b7692caa59879ef6c95833.png

The road has stretches of 60, 50 and 40 - with 20 until you get out of Mold, 20 through Sychdyn and Northop (where there is lights to turn right - but with a constant nose to bumper of 20mph cars coming the other way - and then 20 into Flint it averages out at 21mph for the journey when actually the route has about 3 miles of 20mph in it. This is off peak hours as well - we were doing it at 8am (or rather 8:10am due to him being late) and was more than likely averaging 16mph.....

but I think I will go this way in the future - knock up my Carbon Footprint a bit 

image.png.afd7648e2defe96388107d222b956f1e.png

image.png.c0d1ee7ec41b291e1d55b4db3203757b.png

image.png

So Mr Drakefords thinking behind this 20mph is fewer injury’s/deaths etc. As being hit at 20mph is safer than being hit at 30……….Why don’t we all drive around at 10mph for a few weeks as that’s got to be safer than 20 according to Drakefords reckoning? See what happens then……carnage!………….but then again 5mph got to be safer again🤔 

2 minutes ago, foxbuster said:

So Mr Drakefords thinking behind this 20mph is fewer injury’s/deaths etc. As being hit at 20mph is safer than being hit at 30……….Why don’t we all drive around at 10mph for a few weeks as that’s got to be safer than 20 according to Drakefords reckoning? See what happens then……carnage!………….but then again 5mph got to be safer again🤔 

Exactly. Logic dictates. 

Screenshot_20230920-081649_Facebook.jpg.d8f880a787338ca8495a9c3ca1f49aba.jpg

Look at that for click bait, there won't be many who want to have a 20mph limit.

Last night the M6 was shut, so a 12 mile diversion along the A6, I was well aware of it, but driving along at 10pm doing 40mph, then some 30, then 40 and a bit of 50 felt like you were going nowhere, I dread to think what going at 20 for that distance would be like.

Thank goodness for cruise control, but I actually think there will be more bumps dawdling along because people will be looking around more.

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

I'm not saying past cameras I'm saying in general the people who speed will speed no matter what the damn sign says. Where in my post do I mention camera exactly?!?!

Calm down like, everyone on the A6 last night was driving the limit, a combination of HGVs and roundabouts with lots of speed cameras. 

And yes everyone speeds, but it depends where you are really,  doing 70 in a 60 through the countryside at 10pm isn't likely to affect anyone,  I've been driving down the motorway in the quiet hours doing 70 odd and had police go past with not so much as a glance, but going past a school or through town at 35 or 40 is bang out of order.

1 minute ago, B725 said:

I don't think cruise control work's under 30mph my Freelander didn't and the XC60 I have now doesn't.

I didn't think mine did - but I was surprised to find out that it did yesterday - but I have to be in flappy panels in a low gear.

8 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Screenshot_20230920-081649_Facebook.jpg.d8f880a787338ca8495a9c3ca1f49aba.jpg

Look at that for click bait, there won't be many who want to have a 20mph limit.

Last night the M6 was shut, so a 12 mile diversion along the A6, I was well aware of it, but driving along at 10pm doing 40mph, then some 30, then 40 and a bit of 50 felt like you were going nowhere, I dread to think what going at 20 for that distance would be like.

Thank goodness for cruise control, but I actually think there will be more bumps dawdling along because people will be looking around more.

Calm down like, everyone on the A6 last night was driving the limit, a combination of HGVs and roundabouts with lots of speed cameras. 

And yes everyone speeds, but it depends where you are really,  doing 70 in a 60 through the countryside at 10pm isn't likely to affect anyone,  I've been driving down the motorway in the quiet hours doing 70 odd and had police go past with not so much as a glance, but going past a school or through town at 35 or 40 is bang out of order.

Get that petition going - got to prove that they don't 

Mind you - in Wales - their consultation questions were engineered in such a way that to not go along with them would paint you to be a monster

I was a monster....

1 hour ago, B725 said:

My Volvo uses adaptive cruise control so the car would always be braking on its own if the car Infront did not drive at a constant speed.

Same here mate, mine knocks off at 30, but sitting behind a HGV was easier in cruise than feathering the accelerator and break for 12 miles.

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

doing 70 in a 60 through the countryside at 10pm isn't likely to affect anyone

Apart from yourself when a badge fox or deer pops out the hedge. 

My main point is changing the limit to supposedly reduce accidents is a farce, if anything It may increase them due to people expecting the car to be going slow when infact it's going to fast 

38 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Apart from yourself when a badge fox or deer pops out the hedge. 

Yes I can accept that, I regularly drive where there are Red and Roe, and I'm very careful because they can and do just pop out, seeing a red hop a hedge and bounce across the road in front of you is quite something and makes you think about your speed.

23 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Question for Welsh road users - does a cyclist have to give a clear 1.5m when overtaking a car doing 20 mph???

Most cyclists dont give a clear indication of anything.
Most have a very loose idea of the highway code, as they run red traffic lights, ride on the wrong side of the road, and seem to believe lights at night time are optional.

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

Most cyclists dont give a clear indication of anything.
Most have a very loose idea of the highway code, as they run red traffic lights, ride on the wrong side of the road, and seem to believe lights at night time are optional.

You forgot that they are now protected by law and believe they are BULLET PROOF!