Net Zero

countryman

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Apparently the UK has made the greatest contribution to greenhouse gasses per head of population than any other (start of the industrial revolution). Seems fair then that we should lead the agenda on the way out and take advantage of our technology in doing so. In this way we can be ahead of the curve exactly as we were in developing offshore oil exploration. Unfortunately this announcement is simply a back sliding of commitment. Its not been tested by the climate change committee. Its also one sided in terms of the consumer. If there was a genuine proposal for change you would anticipate a more measured and tested proposal. 

I do see your point with that. I just feel we are being dictated to buy some very wealthy people. I consider myself privileged, the property I'm currently living in costs virtually nothing to run due to the insulation levels and tech I have installed, but the average person could not afford the initial outlay.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, oowee said:

What would you propose?

I would propose we just get on with enjoying our lives; if the planet is on its way out ( it isn’t ) there’s not anything we can do to stop it ( it will go on, just without us ) and if we are the cause ( we aren’t ) then we’re well and truly scuppered cos none of us, and I mean NONE of us are prepared to forego anything to prevent it. 
We all want to enjoy ourselves while we’re here, I suggest we just get on with it. 

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

I would propose we just get on with enjoying our lives; if the planet is on its way out ( it isn’t ) there’s not anything we can do to stop it ( it will go on, just without us ) and if we are the cause ( we aren’t ) then we’re well and truly scuppered cos none of us, and I mean NONE of us are prepared to forego anything to prevent it. 
We all want to enjoy ourselves while we’re here, I suggest we just get on with it. 

This.

17 minutes ago, Scully said:

Agree 100%.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

What would you propose?

An acceptance of the fact that the real problem is that the global population needs to live within the globes capacity to support it - and work urgently to reaching that level of population.

If we went 'net zero carbon' now and allow the population to go on growing ........ the next potential apocalypse with appear - which might be food shortage/starvation, fresh water shortage - something else we haven't yet detected coming.

We have a fixed sized planet that can support;

• a large population with a basic frugal lifestyle
  • a moderate population with a better lifestyle
  • a small population with a high lifestyle

How big the population we need to reach is - will depend on what quality of life is available (or vice versa).  If we want a UK style western lifestyle for all, that needs a smaller population to be stable.

If we accept a much lower lifestyle, much less energy usage, then we can have more population.

Heatpumps, insulation, electric cars, even 'net zero' are just sticking plasters postponing the inevitable if population continues to rocket

2 hours ago, oowee said:

A program of support between the energy providers and the govt could be put in place to enable the changes to take place.

It already exists!  I've even put up a thread on it.  ECO4 scheme - paid for by the 'green levy' on energy bills.  Insulation, free to the end user, paid for by the taxpayer.  For some bizarre reason barely publicised.

3 hours ago, oowee said:

We are one of the richest countries, If we cannot set an example and lead the world then who can? 

How about, I dunno, Germany?  Of the 4 biggest CO2 emitters in Europe, 3 are German lignite coal power stations, the top spot being taken by a coal-fired station in Poland.

Angie Merkel's decision to retire nuclear was nothing short of insane.

Best thing we could do for the environment in this country is boycott all german goods and services until they change their energy policy.

Edited by udderlyoffroad

13 minutes ago, oowee said:

Head in sand comes to mind but I appreciate not everyone cares about the environment. 

Well not really, cos that only applies if you believe humans are destroying the planet, which I don’t. 
On the other hand, if you believe we are destroying the planet, how much can you care about the environment as you fly to another continent and back in a fuel laden aircraft so you can shoot stuff for fun, or sailing to another country in your oil industry fuelled boat? What does that say about you? 🙂

14 hours ago, countryman said:

Are we finally going to hear from the Government some common sense on this, obviously an election is playing a part in this, pushing back the ban on petrol and Diesel cars and oil boilers, has the penny dropped that our little island is not going to save the world all on its own.

I hope so! And there was the little Etonian **** Lord Zac Goldsmith complaining about it!

Well guess what it's called the democratic will, the taking back of control, the wish no longer to be dictated to by a self appointed clique of cronies. All those things that Lord Zac Goldsmith (appointed to the unelected House of Lords by his crony Boris Johnson) said we benefit from by leaving the E.U. Hmm!

Seems the democratic will, taking back control and a wish no longer to be dictated to by a self appointed clique of cronies is only so good as long as that outcome matches what Lord Goldsmith thinks is best for us!

Sadly the reporter that interviewed him didn't think to ask that particular question!

8 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Just bought myself a nice 2.5 auto diesel guzzler this week, tax just short of £700 a year. I am aiming to match china's c02 emissions within the next year and long may I merrily splutter along into my grave. :lol:

Good for you! 
Diesel all the way for me.
I decided when all this electric car rubbish first started that I was not going to have one. By 1935, with any luck, I will be 87 so possibly won’t be needing one.

10 hours ago, Scully said:

I'm with you on this Scully

Just now, old man said:

Well, I for one used to but due to the insanity now proposed I don't any more. 

Common sense is never going to win against insanity?

If you care about the environment, think carefully about things like the batteries; the massive resources needed to be mined and extracted, the apparent difficulty in recycling, and the great wastage due toi the current difficulties with battery packs (lack of practical repairability).  Note that this last is also (partly) behind the enormous rises in motor insurance costs we are all seeing this year. 

Battery technology has a long long way to progress before that can really be called environmentally friendly.

Similar comments also apply to wind turbine blades apparently - where they are large, resource heavy, limited life and non recyclable.  We are rushing full speed ahead where we should be proceeding with caution.

10 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

If you care about the environment, think carefully about things like the batteries; the massive resources needed to be mined and extracted, the apparent difficulty in recycling, and the great wastage due toi the current difficulties with battery packs (lack of practical repairability).  Note that this last is also (partly) behind the enormous rises in motor insurance costs we are all seeing this year. 

Battery technology has a long long way to progress before that can really be called environmentally friendly.

Similar comments also apply to wind turbine blades apparently - where they are large, resource heavy, limited life and non recyclable.  We are rushing full speed ahead where we should be proceeding with caution.

Quite, and none of it possible without the oil industry. 
Give lithium leach fields a google if anyone is interested; a totally abhorrent by-product of battery manufacture. Green? Far from it. 

Edited by Scully

17 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

John, I take your point and action whatever, small things wherever I can but none of what you mention is within any control of society? Our politicos don't listen to any other than the lobbyists paid by big greedy corporations,  they then use our money against us?

The climate has always and will always change? When our countries emissions have such a miniscule effect globally but our population is punished as now, I give up wasting brain cells about it.

Thinking on, as sometime happens, I wonder if our forebears who sacrificed so much would have done so as readily if they had any inkling of the sick attitudes of politicos today?

Anyway, sitting under a tree this morning, waiting and watching, I can tell the climate has changed, thermals needed soon. That I can do something about.😃

26 minutes ago, old man said:

and action whatever, small things wherever I can

I do the same, but people get the bit between their teeth and don't really think through that moving to different power supply generation, technologies for cars, heating, and other things should really be done only when the old system is 'worn out'.  I'm sure people now are scrapping good working gas/oil boilers and putting in heat pumps etc. - which is in fact not environmentally friendly at all.

For example, when my car has to be replaced, I will look around then and choose according to what suits me at the time.  It is likely to be another (second hand) internal combustion car, but probably with a smaller engine (present is 3 litres diesel and I have owned it for 15 years) and better economy.

Edited by JohnfromUK

14 hours ago, oowee said:

We are already doing this its just more of the same. Householders are sitting on thousands of pounds of property value rises. Taking some of this to save costs in the long run sounds like a good use of resources. We have to start somewhere. What would you propose?

I propose you come back to planet earth and face the reality that we are no where near able to fulfil your net zero fantasies without huge cost to the tax payer.

I also propose when China and India show good faith by being 75% net zero compliant. Then the UK can join in.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I do the same, but people get the bit between their teeth and don't really think through that moving to different power supply generation, technologies for cars, heating, and other things should really be done only when the old system is 'worn out'.  I'm sure people now are scrapping good working gas/oil boilers and putting in heat pumps etc. - which is in fact not environmentally friendly at all.

For example, when my car has to be replaced, I will look around then and choose according to what suits me at the time.  It is likely to be another (second hand) internal combustion car, but probably with a smaller engine (present is 3 litres diesel and I have owned it for 15 years) and better economy.

👍