Auto safety Laurona O/U

Red696

Had my first clay lesson yesterday and one of the first recommendations from the instructor was to look at disabling the auto safety on my gun.

Does anyone have knowledge of how to do this on a Laurona?  

I have to admit to hating auto safety’s on my air guns and it is something I disable on purchase as a personal preference.  I’m hoping this does not descend into a for and against thread.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, London Best said:

For and against thread. 
I will start it off , and will not be popular with the clay shooting brigade.
Sorry, but in my opinion all shotguns without auto-safeties should be melted down.

would much rather have advice on my question, but it is an open forum I suppose…

6 minutes ago, RCB56 said:

I'll second your proposal LB if you can't remember to take the safety off your gun before squeezing the trigger, should you be allowed to own one.

Thankfully the local FEO thought so, but thanks for the help 👍

2 hours ago, Red696 said:

Had my first clay lesson yesterday and one of the first recommendations from the instructor was to look at disabling the auto safety on my gun.

I have to admit to hating auto safety’s on my air guns and it is something I disable on purchase as a personal preference.  I’m hoping this does not descend into a for and against thread.

Have you tried googling it? 

Right… now down to business! 😀
Personally I will not shoot with ANYONE who relies on a safety to keep them safe. 
Anyone who relies on a safety, or even worse, BELIEVES they are safer because they do so, shouldn’t be allowed out of the house! 
I’ve lost count of the times I’ve heard some empty head state…. ‘It’s ok, the safeties on’! 😳 Well if it’s safe, point it at your foot and pull the trigger. 

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

Have you tried googling it? 

I have, there a quite a few vids for other makes showing a wire tripping the safety unfortunately the Laurona appears to be different set up.

I agree on your thoughts on safeties and others.

Edited by Red696

3 hours ago, Red696 said:

For clay shooting competitions disabling your auto safety is advisable. The reason being, that if you call for the clay and your safety is on, it counts as a missed bird. This is why most clay bashing guns are non auto safe. As Scully alluded, our guns are really only regarded as truly safe when broken anyway. Re the technicalities of disabling your Laurona auto safe, I’m afraid I can’t help. I would advise however using the skills of a reputable gunsmith - not an expensive job I believe. 

It would appear that mine and Countryman’s comments came in at about the same time. Great minds think alike…..🙂

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Personally I will not shoot with ANYONE who relies on a safety to keep them safe. 
Anyone who relies on a safety, or even worse, BELIEVES they are safer because they do so, shouldn’t be allowed out of the house! 
I’ve lost count of the times I’ve heard some empty head state…. ‘It’s ok, the safeties on’! 😳 Well if it’s safe, point it at your foot and pull the trigger. 

The safety only locks the triggers on most cheap shotguns. That is all it does. Prevents the gun from being fired by a pull on the trigger. It does NOT block the fall of the hammer. I have owned side by side, boxlock self-opening ejector, French, guns with non-auto safety catches and in that respect they are no different from the hammer guns that came before. As SCULLY says it is there but not there to be relied on as then negating any need for muzzle awareness and safe handling.

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Couldn't agree more. I take the exact opposite view to London Best. When I started shooting an old instructor/ground owner told me the only safe shotgun is one that's broken and empty because the safety only disables the trigger. Having seen game shooters in action at a local village annual clay shoot they clearly have a somewhat different view of what constitutes safe handling and muzzle discipline!

I don't think it matters one way or the other. If you are safe you are safe, all my shotguns like all my rifles need to have the safety applied by me, it is therefore a habit. All the same.

As an aside I knew a professional hunter who had his dangerous game double rifle built without a safety at all, as he said "when I pull the trigger I want it to go off". Mind you his muzzle awareness and discipline were exemplary!

David.

14 minutes ago, Westward said:

Having seen game shooters in action at a local village annual clay shoot they clearly have a somewhat different view of what constitutes safe handling and muzzle discipline!

I have yet to see a clay shooter who actually knows how to even close his gun safely!

8 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

As an aside I knew a professional hunter who had his dangerous game double rifle built without a safety at all, as he said "when I pull the trigger I want it to go off". Mind you his muzzle awareness and discipline were exemplary!

David.

A dangerous game double is the only double gun which should not have an auto safe.

I’m a keen clay and game shooter, and I have to say in my experience both are equally bad for not even knowing how to unslip/reslip their gun safely, let alone without sweeping the barrels about through all and sundry at any old height!

On a recent straw baler I saw one bloke pick up his slip by poking the barrels of his closed gun through one of its handles! 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Laurona 84 Double Trigger Shotgun Schematic | Numrich (gunpartscorp.com) 

If you use this diagram and take the stock off your gun, you should be able to see what needs disconnecting.

Thanks for the link.  I have had the stock off already and know the part (33 in diagram ) but unlike others I’ve seen with the wire/bar running on the outside this runs through the centre of the action. Not as accessible or easy to see how it connects.

appreciate the reply as the diagram is very handy

Most guns use a rod between the opening lever and safety.  As the lever is operated the safety is pushed back (to safe).  To disable the auto safe, remove the rod.

Personally I have had all my guns that weren't auto safe (apart from a Darne for which auto safety is difficult - if not impossible?) converted to auto safe.  My hammer guns don't have a safety catch, but that is a different issue as they were never originally fitted to hammer guns.

It is there for a purpose: not to be used to enable the gun to be pointed anywhere safely, but as a measure to stop the trigger being accidentally pulled.  I simply slide the safety forward as I mount the gun.  Nothing could be simpler.

The reason I have had it added (to two guns) is that sliding the safety forward becomes an instinctive part of the gun mount and I miss it if it isn't there.

My clay shooting guns only have the safety on when i clean them, the safety then goes OFF,  before the gun is put in the cabinet. My game guns have auto safety catches because it is part of my gun mounting to be pushing the safety OFF as the gun is mounted. As Scully says, very few shooters of either clays or game, display correct safety when removing a gun from its slip.

12 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Many live pigeon guns also have non auto safety catches. Where heavy money is involved the competitors didn't want to lose a bird through having a pull of the triggers not fire the gun.

Or NO safety catch at all  !

Edited by Westley

If you're shooting clays then it's almost certain you are shooting from a cage with little or no opportunity but to point the gun out of the front to shoot the target. You are not allowed to load the gun until you are in the cage so what is the point of a safety catch ?

Shooting game is a totally different issue and some of the scariest things happen which defy description. I have never been injured by a gun at a clay shoot but I have been peppered twice shooting game.

11 hours ago, Red696 said:

Not sure how you do it on your gun 

now here’s the thing if you’re only going to shoot clays fine take it off however if you’re going to shoot pigeons vermin and game you may find it’s useful to have 

either way gun safety and muzzle awareness is the best safety thing 

as a footnote my game and clay guns both have interceptor sears so possibly a little safer than just having the trigger blocked 

hopefully you can get it sorted 

all the best 

of