Luton airport fire

ditchman

multi story car park goes up in flames hundreds of cars toast..................................

im just wondering if it was started by an electric car ....HHHmmmmmmmmm.......it will be a while before we find out.....if it is will will be seeing "motor car segregation"....and that will be awkward 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems it was a relatively new structure built without a sprinkler system.  What utter ****wittery.  Bet the interruption to flight ops has already cost them more than the sprinkler system would have.

Incidentally, whether the initial source of ignition was an ICE or EV - and it looks increasingly likely that it was a Diesel Range Rover - I've said on here before that we need to update building regulations where EVs congregate to mitigate the effects of thermal runaway.  And actual experts are saying this too.

11 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

The rot set in (no pun intended) when they stopped making proper off road vehicles and started making luxury motor cars that just happen to include 4 wheel drive.

The rot set in ( literally ) with whomever thought it a good idea to build a vehicle with a body which doesn’t rust and put it on a chassis which does….as if it’s going out of fashion! 😄

My old Disco’ 1 being a prime example! 

1 minute ago, Scully said:

The rot set in ( literally ) with whomever thought it a good idea to build a vehicle with a body which doesn’t rust and put it on a chassis which does….as if it’s going out of fashion! 😄

My old Disco’ 1 being a prime example! 

Yup, my Disco 1 200Tdi (probably the best ever non series/defender type in my opinion) needed me to buy a welder to keep pace. My Disco 2 was going the same way.

Some years ago I had occasion to be in and out of Lode Lane several times during the year and saw brand new chassis stood on end out doors ready for use. Several months later, covered in rust they were still there. No doubt fitted as needed later. Built in failure.

4 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Yup, my Disco 1 200Tdi (probably the best ever non series/defender type in my opinion) needed me to buy a welder to keep pace. My Disco 2 was going the same way.

Some years ago I had occasion to be in and out of Lode Lane several times during the year and saw brand new chassis stood on end out doors ready for use. Several months later, covered in rust they were still there. No doubt fitted as needed later. Built in failure.

I was informed the rust allowed the anti corrosion coating to adhere better, all Lode Lane bodies seemed to be left out to rust? 

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

👍 Mine was a 300tdi ES, which I told people stood for ‘Easily Rusts’. 
I believe the engine is still in use. 
I see quite a few 2’s on the road locally and must admit they still look good. 

54 minutes ago, Scully said:

👍 Mine was a 300tdi ES, which I told people stood for ‘Easily Rusts’. 
I believe the engine is still in use. 
I see quite a few 2’s on the road locally and must admit they still look good. 

My old 200Tdi engine, complete with gear box is currently in a series 2a with portal axles owned by Paddock Spares in Matlock.

My Disco 2 was last seen for sale on a forecourt in Louth but is currently T & T'd.

2 hours ago, old man said:

I was informed the rust allowed the anti corrosion coating to adhere better, all Lode Lane bodies seemed to be left out to rust? 

All I know is there were literally 100s of cages of various parts including chassis all stored outdoors. There was a park area containing unsold Range Rovers covering several acres. The entire place was a huge dissapointment to me.

23 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

My old 200Tdi engine, complete with gear box is currently in a series 2a with portal axles owned by Paddock Spares in Matlock.

My old 2a had a 3.5V8 in it when I bought it, but I couldn’t afford to run it! A mate said there was too much work involved to put my Disco’ 300tdi in it, so he put in a 200tdi in exchange for the 300tdi. 
The 2a is still running about locally; I sold it to a bloke for as much as I paid for it four years previously. He loves it, but it’s only a toy to him.