Where are you going for your 2024 holidays.

Minky

47 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I'm sure it's lovely, my post was in jest, hence the  emoji. More at the statement it is like England......... when I go abroad, I don't want it to be like England, what's the point.

He meant no mosquito like in England 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Minky said:

IF I were to emigrate to somewhere like this for shooting ,, i did  manage to find and get a round of sporting clays in out on Crete at the shooting ground  near Chania.  Lovely kind blokes and a fantastic facility like Bisley. I  always ask at the hotels if there is any shooting locally.   Mostly they have no knowledge of shooting at all.  When I was driving about looking for the one out in Crete a shopkeeper no more than 1/4 mile from the ground knew nothing of it.  Out in Turkey they were horrified/ frightened...?  Did I Want to kill someone..?  BUT after I explained what shooting clays was,  they were only too obliging and contacted the sports Council in Ankara to find shooting grounds but the nearest was a couple of hundred miles away.  A baggage lad at the reception piped up and said that there were 2 gun shops in the nearby town of Manavgat. Following his map we manged to find the shops. One was archery and airguns but the other had shotguns and rifles. Some heavy stuff for deer and boar.  You aren't out there long enough to find stuff out and I don't speak Turkish or German or Greek or Spanish. I  wouldn't mind doing a bit of partridge shooting out there.

Crete was a crazy place for shooting. The locals had shot ALL of the road signs to pieces and when we pulled up  by a village church up in the mountains I nearly slipped up on one of a line of 9mm cases scattered along the kerb. Either a celebration or a shotgun wedding or both.  I didn't notice any blood on the road.   There were loads of goat / deer skulls displayed by the roads up in the mountains.

cyprus is supposed to be good for shooting  but like everywhere it's not easy to find. but anyone coming from abroad to the uk on holiday wouldn't just walk onto a shoot.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, much appreciated. 
I must admit I wasn’t thinking of clay shooting or shooting clubs, more wing shooting or hunting. 
If you really want to emigrate to somewhere with plenty of good shooting try South Africa.

On 09/02/2024 at 07:20, oowee said:

Having a great time in Thailand. Here's a pic of our boat gym when there is no wind. 🤣

IMG-20240205-WA0003.jpg

Not quite Thailand, but your photo did bring back good memories when I used to crew on my late brother`s boat.

Here is a photo of the wife and I on his Westerly Fulmar crossing from Guernsey over to Sark. The ship in the background is the Oriana if I recall.

Happy days.

OB 

Channel Islands.jpg

22 hours ago, the hitman said:

Mrs H and I having a bit of an Andalusian tour this year. We are heading to Seville & Cordoba next weekend for a 10 nights.

Malaga city, Ronda & Nerja to follow in August.

Largs on the Scottish west coast will be visited in late May.

We have a holiday in July- but no destination decided yet.

Got to do it while you can is my moto.

I hope they have got rid to the Ronda stench?

4 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Not quite Thailand, but your photo did bring back good memories when I used to crew on my late brother`s boat.

Here is a photo of the wife and I on his Westerly Fulmar crossing from Guernsey over to Sark. The ship in the background is the Oriana if I recall.

Happy days.

OB 

Channel Islands.jpg

Looking good there Captain 👌 

5 hours ago, old man said:

Not been before- so not sure the stench is .

Third visit to Seville- I would definitely recommend this as a city break- just not in the summer as it’s know as the frying pan of Europe.

Should be around 20-24 degrees when we go.

On 21/01/2024 at 09:42, WalkedUp said:

South Africa at Easter shooting plains game with my three sons. To say that I am looking forward to it is an understatement.

Looking to go to SA as well 

Are you talking firearms would appreciate any advice if you’ve done it before 

I’m actually looking to do some practical competition shooting rather than game safari/stalking

D

On 09/02/2024 at 13:26, the hitman said:

Mrs H and I having a bit of an Andalusian tour this year. We are heading to Seville & Cordoba next weekend for a 10 nights.

Malaga city, Ronda & Nerja to follow in August.

Largs on the Scottish west coast will be visited in late May.

We have a holiday in July- but no destination decided yet.

Got to do it while you can is my moto.

Any interest in bullfighting? I know a guy who works on a bull ranch just outside Sevilla, he can do a personal tour of the finca, see the bulls up close and have a tour of the farmhouse which doubles as a museum.

16 hours ago, the hitman said:

Not been before- so not sure the stench is .

Third visit to Seville- I would definitely recommend this as a city break- just not in the summer as it’s know as the frying pan of Europe.

Should be around 20-24 degrees when we go.

It used to come up from the gorge, was breathtaking on the bridge over sometimes.

Having said that I thought the distant scenery very nice in the sunshine.

22 hours ago, old man said:

Some nice restaurants overlooking the gorge.

I must say, I didn’t notice the smell, but we were eating inside in January.

Have a week in London in March. Bringing the kids for their first visit though everyone tells me a week in London will cost the same as a week (or more) further afield. The usual touristy things booked.

2 weeks in May fishing at home and down the west coast for trout. 

Week near Port Andratx, Mallorca  in June then a week or two in Sligo later in the summer.

I'm terrified of flying so the holidays at home excite me more as I can drive.

20 hours ago, Munzy said:

Any interest in bullfighting? I know a guy who works on a bull ranch just outside Sevilla, he can do a personal tour of the finca, see the bulls up close and have a tour of the farmhouse which doubles as a museum.

Hi Munzy

Not a fan to be honest- I attended a bullfight in the mid 80’s with a female Spanish friend I had at the time. The crowd were very enthusiastic and cheered the matador. There were 6 bullfights that day - 5 were put to the sword and one was released as it broke a horn when it got its head underneath a horse - the horse was very badly injured and probably died.

I can imagine how much time goes into producing such fine specimens.

I can understand the theatre of a bullring- it has a primal colosseum feel- but it’s not an experience would want to repeat. Each to their own.

11 minutes ago, the hitman said:

Hi Munzy

Not a fan to be honest- I attended a bullfight in the mid 80’s with a female Spanish friend I had at the time. The crowd were very enthusiastic and cheered the matador. There were 6 bullfights that day - 5 were put to the sword and one was released as it broke a horn when it got its head underneath a horse - the horse was very badly injured and probably died.

I can imagine how much time goes into producing such fine specimens.

I can understand the theatre of a bullring- it has a primal colosseum feel- but it’s not an experience would want to repeat. Each to their own.

Thought I’d ask just in case. Refreshing to hear a level-headed response from someone who has experienced it first hand 👍🏼

Have a great trip, I’ve travelled all over Spain but Andalucía for me is the most exciting region.

10 hours ago, Munzy said:

Thought I’d ask just in case. Refreshing to hear a level-headed response from someone who has experienced it first hand 👍🏼

Have a great trip, I’ve travelled all over Spain but Andalucía for me is the most exciting region.

Agreed 

My wife loves visiting Madrid- which I would consider a working city like London. Barcelona is very touristy but with nice beaches. Seville is just on a different level- it’s absolutely stunning and steeped in history and a good base for visiting the likes of Cadiz & Cordoba . Once you visit Andalusia you never want to leave.

Just booked Nerja in august.

3 or 4 city breaks in Europe over the summer (thanks for all the pointers) then Scotland for deer, geese trout and salmon Dorset for deer, Somerset for Grayling, Hampshire course fishing and Turkey for Boar, same as most years, don't know how I find the time to work 😆

Edited by Goldfish

It's great to hear of the places that people have or are going to.  Some of them bring Memories flooding back. Like Nerja, Frigliana and Port Andrax. The wooden  train  journey from Palma up the mountains through the orange groves to Soler, quick wander around the town then on the wooden train again to a stop up in the mountains for a photo opportunity.   Then travel through the countryside of fruit orchards and orange groves down to the small port town of Puerto Soller.  A wander along the front to find a bus which goes the scenic route all around the mountain villages back to the train station in Palma. There is a bus that goes direct through tunnels in the mountains back to the bus station in Palma. But we weren't in any hurry so it was the scenic route for us.  Lots and lots of mental pictures of a lovely holiday.

Edited by Minky

9 hours ago, Minky said:

A wander along the front to find a bus which goes the scenic route all around the mountain villages back to the train station in Palma. There is a bus that goes direct through tunnels in the mountains back to the bus station in Palma. But we weren't in any hurry so it was the scenic route for us.  Lots and lots of mental pictures of a lovely holiday.

Travelling by bus is a punishment, not a holiday!

I find travelling on any form of public transport extremely stressful, even, or rather especially, planes.

Edited by London Best