Favourite Gun

I’m sure most members have more than 1 gun. I have several shotguns and a couple of rifles. I do most types of shooting but mostly game shooting, duck shooting and pigeon and crow decoying using the usual 12 and 20 gauge however,

The gun that makes me smile the most is my single 410 Pedretti Hushpower. I’ve modified it and using the right cartridge it sounds like a Hamster sneezing!!
it’s great on the rats around the stables and grain store. I also use it roost shooting in a small copse on my farm. It’s very capable and I’ve brought down some good distant crows and pigeons drifting in over the copse. 
There’s a house  about 100 meters from the copse. A friend lives there and as I leave the copse and walk past his house he usually says he didn’t hear any shots!,

It’s absolutely awesome. If you haven’t got one in your cabinet, Get one!!!! (Oh and Eley Fourlongs are the quietest.) IMG_0923.jpeg.b3c40e4c3048b60c23f6d56eaf3a9431.jpegIMG_0921.jpeg.b0d04d43a56937a8aaa0f2c3aae73af9.jpegIMG_0922.jpeg.a27d7e4d11939370b64f3ef83f098444.jpeg😎👍

ATB Chop

IMG_0918.jpeg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Little Chopper said:

I’m sure most members have more than 1 gun. I have several shotguns and a couple of rifles. I do most types of shooting but mostly game shooting, duck shooting and pigeon and crow decoying using the usual 12 and 20 gauge however,

The gun that makes me smile the most is my single 410 Pedretti Hushpower. I’ve modified it and using the right cartridge it sounds like a Hamster sneezing!!
it’s great on the rats around the stables and grain store. I also use it roost shooting in a small copse on my farm. It’s very capable and I’ve brought down some good distant crows and pigeons drifting in over the copse. 
There’s a house  about 100 meters from the copse. A friend lives there and as I leave the copse and walk past his house he usually says he didn’t hear any shots!,

It’s absolutely awesome. If you haven’t got one in your cabinet, Get one!!!! (Oh and Eley Fourlongs are the quietest.) IMG_0923.jpeg.b3c40e4c3048b60c23f6d56eaf3a9431.jpegIMG_0921.jpeg.b0d04d43a56937a8aaa0f2c3aae73af9.jpegIMG_0922.jpeg.a27d7e4d11939370b64f3ef83f098444.jpeg😎👍

ATB Chop

IMG_0918.jpeg

Nice one ! Yes I do have one and use fourlongs just for a occasional rat, might need to get it out more often

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I’m itching to get another .410, but do I buy a cheapish one now with all the uncertainty surrounding availability of small bore steel, or wait until that is resolved and .410 prices go daft? 🙂

That's the gamble isn't it! I've an AYA .410" No4 and am just having the stock extended to fit me. So I am thinking if there's a lead shot ban, well at least I'll get some enjoyment from it before it becomes a reloading project (I bought a used MEC 600 in .410" for 2 1/2" middle of last year). And if not I've still got it.

Edited by enfieldspares

6 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

That's the gamble isn't it! I've an AYA .410" No4 and am just having the stock extended to fit me. So I am thinking if there's a lead shot ban, well at least I'll get some enjoyment from it before it becomes a reloading project (I bought a used MEC 600 in .410" for 2 1/2" middle of last year). And if not I've still got it.

Stock up on lead carts now 👍🏻 price of carts never seems to go down anyways. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I’m itching to get another .410, but do I buy a cheapish one now with all the uncertainty surrounding availability of small bore steel, or wait until that is resolved and .410 prices go daft? 🙂

Buy one now 😉 and use lead but dont volunteer to ban it.  hopefully someone will spot a hole in the market and make fibre shot cups both for manufacturers and home loading but its not looking good for re-loading just now, with no plastic wads [even if you can use plastic in the future]  Not sure if you can use tss at clay grounds but you could confound a few with some very long shots..😄

17 hours ago, Scully said:

The Yildiz 410s are very good value - therefore low financial risk. I have a youth version. Not that I’m claiming to be youthful (?!) - my young sons and their friends use it mainly. I have had a few ‘dad’s indulgence’ outings with it on my own - decoying pigeons and an occasional driven day. Great sport! I bought it second hand and it was £400. If it was purely a gun for me, I would have the adult fitting stock with 28” barrels. I think you’ll get your money’s worth whatever happens re the lead situation. 

P.S If you get one - come back to me and ask about cart’s. I’ve tried a wide variety. Some are awful - others brilliant. 

19 hours ago, Little Chopper said:

The gun that makes me smile the most

I have several shotguns, all but one (AyA 0.410) 12 bore.  The one that makes me smile most ........?

I suppose it is a fairly plain, sleeved, rather well used 12 bore hammer gun.  Nothing particularly special about it, made by W&C Scott, retailed by Maleham, from their London address.  Back action rebounding peninsular style locks with (slightly mismatched) hammers.  30" sleeved barrels, bluing rather worn, locked up by the ubiquitous Jones underlever.  Quite nicely figured stock, but chequering recut leaving the metal a little proud in places.  I didn't even intend to buy it (went to look at something else which I didn't buy).  I only bought it because it was cheap (around £120 if I remember right), and I just like it's shape and form - and it fits me nicely.

Maleham.jpg

I do love the .410 , could be why I’ve 3 of them even if one is Mel b’s awaiting his renewal 😂. He said I can use it honest. It’s great with the mod on it . 
my favourite tho Is the .223 . I’ve had everything with it from bunny to Munty . Sub 1” groups at 180 yards with home loads too . It’s awesome 

11 hours ago, team tractor said:

I do love the .410 , could be why I’ve 3 of them even if one is Mel b’s awaiting his renewal 😂. He said I can use it honest. It’s great with the mod on it . 
my favourite tho Is the .223 . I’ve had everything with it from bunny to Munty . Sub 1” groups at 180 yards with home loads too . It’s awesome 

im loving my Tikka 223 as well but got to say my 17 Hornet is a very accurate rifle as well i home load for all mine 

12 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

im loving my Tikka 223 as well but got to say my 17 Hornet is a very accurate rifle as well i home load for all mine 

I use my 223 loads and looked at a 17 hornet but I recently shot with Mad1 off. He has a .204 . That things lethal 

Mine is an old browning A5 i bought at the old Weller and Dufty auction 20 years ago for £18 made in 1907 with super full choke  and I replaced the woodwork 15 years ago with a plastic set as the woodwork has seen better days ( I still have it) , But I can shoot better with that than any other Gun I Have ever bought  or tried including ,Beretta's and browning o/u's.

The best one was when I cleared a 25 skeet with it  and some of the other guy in the squad were so pee'd off they wanted to sell off the competiton grade o/u's when I told them it only cost me £ 18  to buy.

Edited by Andy H

3 minutes ago, Konor said:

Thanks, the stock came up well with a Ccl oil finish

IMG_20191117_122142~3.jpg

The wood and finish are indeed very nice indeed, but I much prefer a straight hand stock.  it may be because I have small hands, but some of the pistol grips with a fat palm swell are almost unusable for me.  It is relatively uncommon to see o/u's with straight hand.  One of my semi regrets in life was that when I bought a new premium Beretta (many years ago now) I went for the 'off the shelf' with a generous discount (which had a pistol grip) rather than order (or wait for) a straight hand.  Common sense says the pistol grip will have held it's value better that any special order straight hand would have, but since I still have the gun, that's all rather acedemic!

Had I ordered a straight hand (also with double triggers) that might have been my favourite gun now.