CRUISE LINER

DUNKS

8 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Just seen on the news, largest liner in the world sets sail on maiden voyage from USA

360 m long!!!!! and 7500 passengers. The mind boggles.

You forgot to mention the cost of building this monstrosity of a floating town/city 😯

Edit to add the cost,,,, $2 billion, circa £1.6 billion 🥴

Edited by JKD

We cruise quite a lot, the biggest ship we have been on was Brittania, with 3650 passengers and that was big enough, I can't imagine over twice as many.
This ship isn't going on any long cruises, it seems they are mostly going to be 7-10 days from Miami into the Caribbean.
Very much aimed at families with kids, a floating fun fair.

totally awful

i would go on one of those posh Vilking river cruises.....but no way would i step foot on one of them top heavy death traps ...with screaming kids and thick adults...boozed up and stuffing their faces into oblivion...........its excess to the extreme

Edited by ditchman

I was working on one of these beasts last week The Sun Princess in Malfacone Italy , They are massive 175000 tons 345meters long over 1000 crew ,We had a break so me and our electrician went for a wander about and managed to get lost in the maze of decks (21 off) and cabin hallway's Over 3000 cabins.

Not for me.  I go on holiday for peace and relaxation.  Apart from the fact that I get seasick very easily, being 'stuck' in a place with around 8500 others (inc crew) is my idea of hell on earth (a close runner up would be airports).

Give me a remote Scottish Lodge with a few 1000 acres of hill and a bit of river or loch with a few trout - and shared with a few close friends who like the same things and no one else about.  Add in a good cook, some decent decent bottles - and that's a proper holiday.  Arrive and never leave the same estate until it's time to go home.  Fishing, shooting, few clays, lots of lovely scenery and dog walks.  Perfect.

Just looked at the newspaper article.

7600 passengers, 2350 crew, so near enough 10,000 people.  Schedules to spend much of it's time sailing in and out of Miami - one of the worlds 'high hurricane risk' regions.  Doesn't sound like a good plan to me.

Interestingly I have just researched how many souls potentially could be accommodated on board and how many lifeboats are on board. There are only 17 lifeboats that can hold upto 450 people each (7650) That leaves a  shortfall of 2300 people (Number of crew approx) When taking into consideration that maybe not all lifeboats will be able to launch, depending on the emergency, (In the event of a capsize maybe half the life boats could be out of commission) I am surprised that the relevant board of trade and the insurers have sanctioned this ship as ok with the numbers potentially on board. Even small boats in the UK taking tourists "Round the harbour or fishing trips" have to be licenced and have sufficient life rafts and life vests for all on board.

Am I missing something here?

FB

Edited by Flyboy1950
Clarifying

34 minutes ago, Flyboy1950 said:

Am I missing something here?

Probably not.  I think that a ship has to conform with the rules and regs of where it is registered.  So called 'flags of convenience' have less rules to meet.  Having said that, I imagine the insurers might have some sort of input?  Presumably they are happy. 

I believe it is frequently the case when a ship is in trouble that the listing (i.e. tilting to one side) prevents the lifeboats on one side being launched. 

I'd be interested to know how long it takes to get 10,000 people safely into lifeboats in a hurricane!

1 minute ago, DUNKS said:

I have been in a hurricane "JANET" not far from there, a one in a lifetime hurricane and that ship wouldn't have a cat in hells chance if caught in similar.

The other thing that concerns me is the 'propulsion by methane'.  As I understand it methane has to be stored under enormous pressure (or very low temperatures) and is seriously explosive if it leaks into a confined space .........

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

The other thing that concerns me is the 'propulsion by methane'.  As I understand it methane has to be stored under enormous pressure (or very low temperatures) and is seriously explosive if it leaks into a confined space .........

Yep very big bang if it ever hits the rocks, If it ever does for goodness sake dont smoke.

1 minute ago, DUNKS said:

Yep very big bang if it ever hits the rocks, If it ever does for goodness sake dont smoke.

I was thinking more about small leaks from (very high pressure) pipework) in confined spaces leading to a slow build up .............

We went on a cruise a few years back. The best entertainment was watching the 2pence ha'penny millionaires. Fancy dress mealtime.  We had one meal that was quite annoying when some stuck up excuse for a male thought he needed to impress his trophy totty by winging about the poor waitress service. He compared it to a canteen. Totally out of order and uncalled for, he certainly made it memorable for all the nearby tables. 

Then there's the one golightly that took 4 puddings to herself. We sat and Watched her scoff the lot, mind you she had a fair size tank to fill..

Mrs ended up with pneumonia,  12hrs in resuscitation and a week in ICU. 

We decided not to bother again. 

We've been on two  cruises and loved both of them.  Initially I thought.. here we go this is going to be a stuck up sort of thing with the captains table and the ball but there were about three restaurants to chose from. OK there was the captains ball but we didn't go to it and it wasn't pressurised to have anything to do with it.  The thing that made me chuckle was a long corridor of pictures for people to buy. But by the end of the day most were still there.  I wasn't surprised by the prices. I  expect that a couple of minutes after the pictures had been taken the captain wouldn’t  recognise anyone.  The restaurant that we used was a self service one and the food was superb. You could have as much of what you liked as often as you liked and it operated 24/7.  One night I couldn't sleep and went for a wander round the ship at about 2am.  People were down there and  around the decks playing cards, using laptops, pads and phones.  And they were still shoveling food out. For the food addicts you would end up 30 stone by the end of the holiday. The trips were great but you didn't have to go or you could do you own thing.  Some places like Hurgarda in Egypt on the Red Sea are just industrial ports.  There's nothing to see or do there and you wouldn't just wander about in a place like that.  You Dock in, get on coaches for trips to places like Cairo or the temple at Karnak and across the  Nile to the valley of the Kings, the colosus of Memnon or the temple of Queen Hatshepsut. Back on the ship it was just getting on and off with I'd checks.   We had to do mock sinking drills...  and it ain't no good saying I ain't doing it. Everyone has to do it and be accounted for at your.  Muster station, with your lifejacket ON.  IT'S MARITIME LAW.  now some ports they used the lifeboats as sea taxis to the port and seeing some of the games launching the boats in daylight with calm seas with the boats upright gave a lot of concern as to how this would work at night in roughseas with a sinking ship and panic left a lot of questions. Generally I enjoyed both of the cruises. You see a different town city every day unless you are at sea.  You get sunburnt easily at sea if your not careful. Quite  a tiring routine.  Trips  out  most days are expensive and could be a couple of hundred pounds a day depending on where you went.  The trip to the valley of the Kings was a fourteen hour day from leaving Hurgarda across the desert with everything thrown in was quite an experience.  Once in a lifetime sort of thing and Cairo with the pyramids, sphinx,  Cairo. Museum etc etc. Fascinating,   I wouldn't mind going back there.... but potential for danger what with Israel and gazza and the Houthys and Iran.

Edited by Minky