State pension age - recommendation for age 71!!

Lloyd90

46 minutes ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

so would you rather fund the Ukrainians to fight in Ukraine or wait till Putins lot get here and fight them in Chelmsford?

the crystal ball owning have been saying boyo is coming from day one it’s all propaganda cobblers! 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a look and I’m eligible for mine next year, at 65. 
Talking to an ex cop in beaters wagon on beaters day last week, and he was telling me his brother joined the rozzers at 18, did his 30 years and retired at 48. Some folk just seem to get it right. 

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Lloyd, it will be over 80 by the time you get yours.............

I've said before I don't expect there to be a state pension by the time I'm old enough to retire, it'll be some sort of tax to pay for the burden of all those with no private pension 

1 hour ago, Genghis said:

I’m not factoring the state pension at all into my future plans. I’m glad I pay extra into my private pension.

Which is the right answer. 

• The UK 'state' pension was always intended to give a basic subsistence income in later years - not to provide cars, holidays, and other 'luxuries'
  • Some countries (e.g. Norway) saved the National Insurance contributions and have a HUGE sovereign wealth fund to cover pensions
  • In the 1980s, 'private' pensions were much encouraged by the government who,allowed some bonuses (e.g. tax relief, contracting out etc.) to encourage saving for retirement.  It proved popular - and may of us working at that time had either 'semi private' schemes operated by and contributed to (in varying degrees) our employers - or 'free standing' private pensions, which were independant of the employer's scheme usually offered by the life assurance/insurance industries.
  • Unfortunately the Labour Government (of the Blair/Brown years) saw this as a useful 'pot' of money to steal (it was no different to stealing) - and shamelessly raided peoples future pensions.  Not unnaturally - it has been a lot harder to convince people to save since.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, The only way a Pensioner can get extra help is being on the Lowest Pension payment which is a very small income, 

Pension credit / Housing benefits, Assistance Allowance, Personal Independence payment/ DLA. 
Mot ability car & council tax reduction.  

18 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Pension credit / Housing benefits, Assistance Allowance, Personal Independence payment/ DLA. 

Most people have 'a bit put by' as savings in one form or another.  If you are honest about it, you do not get these handouts easily - unless you have a very genuine need for some reason (e.g disability, health problems etc.)

If what we hear is true - there are many who get these various 'top ups' largely through dishonesty rather than genuine need.

The state should always help the disabled, sick, and genuine 'needy' - and not the bone idle, feckless, dishonest and greedy.

If the later didn't get any - there would be more funds for the former.

33 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

If you are honest about it, you do not get these handouts easily - unless you have a very genuine need for some reason (e.g disability, health problems etc.)

Yes a 'bad back' or the now preferred 'mental health'

35 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

If what we hear is true - there are many who get these various 'top ups' largely through dishonesty rather than genuine need.

The state should always help the disabled, sick, and genuine 'needy' - and not the bone idle, feckless, dishonest and greedy.

If the later didn't get any - there would be more funds for the former.

:good:

27 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

That rules out the Labour party then.

Spot on

The problem with the list is that, in addition to being older, you have to have a disability for three of them.

4 hours ago, Genghis said:

I’m not factoring the state pension at all into my future plans. I’m glad I pay extra into my private pension.

This - it’ll be a bonus for me. Hopefully won’t have to rely on it.

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Talking to an ex cop in beaters wagon on beaters day last week, and he was telling me his brother joined the rozzers at 18, did his 30 years and retired at 48. Some folk just seem to get it right. 

This is what my Father did. 11 years in the navy, 11 as a reserve. Then 30 years in the police to get the long service pension and a lump sum pay out when he retired at 56. He was much older than my mum and passed 14 years ago. My mum still gets a police widows pension which is half of what he got. It’s quite sizeable considering.

57 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

The problem with the list is that, in addition to being older, you have to have a disability for three of them.

Keep going to the GP often enough they’ll diagnose you something just so you stop turning up. 

My friend (a GP) complained about the endless time taken doing sickness notes for people he felt could be working. 

When I asked him why he fills them out, he said “I’m not the DWP! It’s not my job to fully investigate their claims or being unfit!” … basically too much work / bother. 

Always amazes me the number of brand new cars around the estates. All on motability! 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

He paid 14.% into it though and there is a penalty drawing it at 48, I don't think they can till 55 from memory. Either way I still pay 14% or there abouts into mine and have to work an additional 8 years thanks to the tories to get less back than I would have. It was ruled illegal but mysteriously the issue is still not resolved, I suspect it would have been if it was parliament's pension. 

2 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

He paid 14.% into it though and there is a penalty drawing it at 48, I don't think they can till 55 from memory. Either way I still pay 14% or there abouts into mine and have to work an additional 8 years thanks to the tories to get less back than I would have. It was ruled illegal but mysteriously the issue is still not resolved, I suspect it would have been if it was parliament's pension. 

Another beater asked if there were penalties, and he said no. 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Scully said:

Another beater asked if there were penalties, and he said no. 🤷‍♂️

Not 100% to be honest but from memory there is, I know index linking doesn't come in till 55. Either way it's a huge chunk of my pay for what was very good and is now not anywhere near as good. A lot of the new joiners opt out and that leads to a transient workforce who get their degree paid for and then leave after training or stay a few years and jog on elsewhere for a lot more pay. Seriously thought of jacking it in however where I live I'd be dreaming of a salary the same, after 20 years and lots of hoop jumping (no sniggering at the back) the kids and schooling cement me staying. 

I did the same,  but joined at 28 and retired at 56. Mind you, I have a totally knackered right shoulder (dislocated twice), a knackered right knee after tearing the ligaments and too many minor scars to mention. But, I'm still able to go shooting each week, and to me, that is what matters the most. I have a small collection of momenta from some shooting pals who are no longer with us.

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, The only way a Pensioner can get extra help is being on the Lowest Pension payment which is a very small income, 

I know of someone who hasn’t worked for over 30 years,getting a sickness benefit and getting full council house rent paid and free council tax,now recently turned 66,gets the full £203.85 a week pension and continuing to pay zero rent or council tax,the whole package must be worth £18,000 a year.I have worked 45+ years paying National insurance and all I get is the £203.85 a week.

You are talking about your private pension I take it? As the state pension age is currently 66.

1 minute ago, GingerCat said:

Not 100% to be honest but from memory there is, I know index linking doesn't come in till 55. Either way it's a huge chunk of my pay for what was very good and is now not anywhere near as good. A lot of the new joiners opt out and that leads to a transient workforce who get their degree paid for and then leave after training or stay a few years and jog on elsewhere for a lot more pay. Seriously thought of jacking it in however where I live I'd be dreaming of a salary the same, after 20 years and lots of hoop jumping (no sniggering at the back) the kids and schooling cement me staying. 

I got my FULL pension at 55, and topped up my income from investments until I was 65, then I received my State pension. I also did some driving for the Locum Service for a few years, but a couple of minor strokes stopped that  !

Just now, Westley said:

I got my FULL pension at 55, and topped up my income from investments until I was 65, then I received my State pension. I also did some driving for the Locum Service for a few years, but a couple of minor strokes stopped that  !

Won't get mine till 60. Thanks to Mrs May.