The shooting show at the Nec, is it good value?

If you don't go you'll never know. My thoughts would be take a shoulder bag and food and drink so you aren't paying through the nose and check who is exhibiting. Then add in your cost to get there. It's a cheap day out compared to, say, ninety minutes at the football or an evening at the theatre. But if you're coming from Aberdeen or Plymouth maybe not?

I go with mates each year for a social day out, as above, take food as with all events spaces the onsite grub is insane money. 

I get to see the kit I can't afford, kit I can buy shouldn't be buying, and catch up with some of the local rfds that put on a stand etc.

Just depends what you feel "value" is to you.

I have been  last couple of years you get a chance to see and handle items you might be interested  in   you won't  bye anything cheaper than normal on the Friday or Saturday  but wait untill late on Sunday with cash you got a chance that's what I do 

Edited by Rim Fire

The event organisers seem to charge the stands so many thousands to be there that there aren’t many good deals to be had anymore. 

I chatted to the Teague chokes stand, they wanted about £15 per choke more than I could buy them online. 

I asked the man on the stand if he’d price match and he just huffed and said “they shouldn’t be selling them for that low!” And turned his back 🤣

I think a lot of smaller people pulled out last year cos they were being charged so much by the venue. You just end up with loads of stands of the same stuff with the big names. 

21 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

you won't  bye anything cheaper than normal on the Friday or Saturday  but wait untill late on Sunday with cash you got a chance that's what I do 

This used to happen at game fairs/shooting shows back in the day but I find with the price they pay for a pitch these days they can’t afford to discount much further than usual.

I imagine that people go these days to see the gear they are after then go home and buy online 🤷🏻‍♂️

:shaun:

2 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

I imagine that people go these days to see the gear they are after then go home and buy online 🤷🏻‍♂️

You may well be right, and then they complain when their local gun dealer calls it a day. 🤷‍♂️
I see it in shops where folk will take a picture of an item and right there and then see if they can get it cheaper online! Really annoys me! 
People who go to gun shows and expect to find bargains are deluded! Why would there be bargains? 
These sort of shows are a showcase for dealers to display what why have to offer to a wider audience, and if they make a sale it’s a bonus. 
They have paid an extortionate ( usually ) price for a stall, then they have to pay for the logistics to get everything there ( and back of course ) plus pay staff to man the stall, plus pay for accommodation plus meals for them selves and their staff for however many days they are there, plus normal costs accrued to man the shop which is still open back home! 
Why would there be any bargains? 

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I think a lot of smaller people pulled out last year cos they were being charged so much by the venue. You just end up with loads of stands of the same stuff with the big names. 

This is the facts of it. My friend (distant relative) used to sell vintage car stuff which didn't carry a big profit but doing the vintage car shows got his name out there and he met and networked with a lot of people and made a lot of contacts. This would bring in business as and when but what he did was unique. He rebuilt speedos and other instruments. Fuel gauges, temperature gauges etc and some aircraft stuff for classic cars boats and planes.

Then came covid and everything stopped. Now the shows and events have restarted but the price of a stall has doubled, trebled or more. He simply can't afford it.  He's wiped out but he used to enjoy the shows for the social side as well as the business it brought in. Once a two or three day show closed for the night and the people went home the stall holders used to party like mad then open up the following morning again like nothing happened 

4 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Once a two or three day show closed for the night and the people went home the stall holders used to party like mad then open up the following morning again like nothing happened 

The overnight parties at The Game Fair are a real experience!

1 hour ago, Scully said:

You may well be right, and then they complain when their local gun dealer calls it a day. 🤷‍♂️
I see it in shops where folk will take a picture of an item and right there and then see if they can get it cheaper online! Really annoys me! 
People who go to gun shows and expect to find bargains are deluded! Why would there be bargains? 
These sort of shows are a showcase for dealers to display what why have to offer to a wider audience, and if they make a sale it’s a bonus. 
They have paid an extortionate ( usually ) price for a stall, then they have to pay for the logistics to get everything there ( and back of course ) plus pay staff to man the stall, plus pay for accommodation plus meals for them selves and their staff for however many days they are there, plus normal costs accrued to man the shop which is still open back home! 

Where I grew up in London there was a double fronted fishing tackle shop. The owner was an absolute gentleman. So patient with us lads and our endless questions and our pocket money purchases. Plus he kept all the stuff you needed. Not just the high ticket items. Advice was bottomless and free.

He is gone now,  wiped out by customers who would come in and ask about (say) reels. Jack would show them all the reels and discuss the pros and cons.

Then the customer would go and search on the Internet and buy the same reel for £5 less 

Jack was very bitter at the end. He lost his business but also his life's work

26 minutes ago, London Best said:

The overnight parties at The Game Fair are a real experience!

So I am told. Hangovers and legovers.

This was vintage car shows but without revealing too much detail I know it was an 'experience ' as you describe it.

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Very true 😕

I went last year because i was in the market for a couple of items that i couldn't find locally and  i knew they would be there and i had a day free. Good to see more stuff than i would normally at local RFD's. Chatted to a few people & got some good info. Got robbed for food & drink early on but luckily hit the Weatherspoons on the way out.

Would i bother again? No.

On 14/02/2024 at 21:49, Vince Green said:

Where I grew up in London there was a double fronted fishing tackle shop. The owner was an absolute gentleman. So patient with us lads and our endless questions and our pocket money purchases. Plus he kept all the stuff you needed. Not just the high ticket items. Advice was bottomless and free.

He is gone now,  wiped out by customers who would come in and ask about (say) reels. Jack would show them all the reels and discuss the pros and cons.

Then the customer would go and search on the Internet and buy the same reel for £5 less 

Jack was very bitter at the end. He lost his business but also his life's work

What shop was that?

It's all about Angling Direct, now, Martin Page's brainchild.

On 20/02/2024 at 14:58, Penelope said:

What shop was that?

It's all about Angling Direct, now, Martin Page's brainchild.

I think it was called Judd"s if I remember correctly. We always knew it as the Fishing Tackle Shop because the sign above the door just was 'Fishing Tackle" in very big letters .

Edited by Vince Green

Had a good day yesterday, met some new people and had some good conversations with the likes of HIK and some of the rifle manufacturers. Had a look at the new Beretta BRX rifle, very clever and able to switch between left n right handed without needing two bolts etc. had a good look at some of the thermal gear but still not sold on using a thermal scope, as I'd rather see the actual animals not just a head source that might be a fox etc...

2 hours ago, vmaxphil said:

I found getting into shows like that is to walk up to the entrance with a clipboard, they'll let you in no questions asked 👍

You can get in most places for free if you’re wearing a hi-vis vest. If you really want to make sure then wear a hard hat also.

3 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

There is no way of mistaking a fox for anything but a fox with today's Thermals  scopes 

If you can only see some of the heat source.. I'm not saying open field stood broad side.. I know of people I will never go shooting with as they have and still do shoot at eye shine!

5 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

There is no way of mistaking a fox for anything but a fox with today's Thermals  scopes 

Depends on the range, there isnt a scope or monocular out there that can definitely ID a fox past 300M .

You can get a good idea of what it is by the way it moves, but for those of us that are comfortable taking those longer shots at night, you cant beat a good NV scope or add on , that can positively see what is really there.

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

If you can only see some of the heat source.. I'm not saying open field stood broad side.. I know of people I will never go shooting with as they have and still do shoot at eye shine!

Those types shouldnt be shooting full stop.