And so it continues

ShootingEgg

It's nothing to do with the words soot face(d), those are simply the words chosen in the article to describe chimney sweeps with faces covered in soot.  It's to do with the term "Hottentot" apparently (I've never heard of it) which is deemed to be offensive.

Edited by Piebob

20 minutes ago, Piebob said:

It's nothing to do with the words soot face(d), those are simply the words chosen in the article to describe chimney sweeps with faces covered in soot.  It's to do with the term "Hottentot" apparently (I've never heard of it) which is deemed to be offensive.

Ah okay, well I have not heard of that term either. Is that used in the film as well not seen it in a while but I'd lie to think I'd pick up on a word like that as odd sounding and having no clue what it meant

8 hours ago, toontastic said:

I always thought the only offensive thing in Mary Poppins was **** Van Dykes Cockney accent.

"Foxtrot Foxtrot Sierra." Can't even write the blokes name now.  Whisky Tango Foxtrot's going on with this country?

53 minutes ago, Robden said:

"Foxtrot Foxtrot Sierra." Can't even write the blokes name now.  Whisky Tango Foxtrot's going on with this country?

I'm more astonished that Dyke got through the naughty word filter. 

... and it would only take some action by the green lobby to object to medium-sized polluting vehicles for the wretched actor to become totally anonymous to the web.

24 minutes ago, team tractor said:

One of my neighbours is a black lad and he said to me it’s just going to far with everything. He was pulled in by HR at work for taking the Micky out of himself. 

That is BRILLIANT.

We have a Manager at work who was regularly, until recently being offended on behalf of other staff.

He has done it so often that I reckon someone above him has had a word in his ear.

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

One of my neighbours is a black lad and he said to me it’s just going to far with everything. He was pulled in by HR at work for taking the Micky out of himself. 

I used to work with an Indian lad who would visit the vending machine every afternoon for a bar of chocolate, “to keep the colour up, you get pale living in this country.” His words, not mine!

11 hours ago, Piebob said:

The Hottentots was the name given by white settlers to one of the tribes in South Africa who lived along side the Zulus and the Matabele but they referred to themselves as The Kegali. So the word has become considered racist. For many years it was used as the official name for the tribe

however we call the Inuit people Eskimos so is that racist?

12 hours ago, Piebob said:

Hottentot was used as an alternative name for a South African tribe native the the Cape region.

12 hours ago, toontastic said:

I always thought the only offensive thing in Mary Poppins was **** Van Dykes Cockney accent.

That would be cultural appropriation. 

11 hours ago, London Best said:

Hottentot was the word used by the original Dutch settlers in South Africa  for the Khoikhoi and San people. If you read older hunting books about the region it comes up quite often.

👍🏻

1 hour ago, old man said:

One has to wonder who is driving the puritanical streak?

It has nowt to do with puritanical views, but as part of the all encompassing Woke agenda. You just wait until the Online Safety Bill is enacted.

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

It has nowt to do with puritanical views, but as part of the all encompassing Woke agenda. You just wait until the Online Safety Bill is enacted.

The MODS will be busy then!!!

Time to crack out the CB's when that happens

2 hours ago, Penelope said:

Same in my HO, barking and unfortunately here.

2 minutes ago, discobob said:

The Right side?? 😜

Of course.

But the response should be "on the side, slide" as in join the conversation. The original "on the side" is a request to join, the "on the side, slide" is the return invitation.

Weird the things you remember from being a kid.

5 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Of course.

But the response should be "on the side, slide" as in join the conversation. The original "on the side" is a request to join, the "on the side, slide" is the return invitation.

Weird the things you remember from being a kid.

I know, just had to put a little twist on it 😀😝

• welsh1 locked this topic