out of town j .hargreaves

dessyb

33 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Watched the ALL first time around, what a wonderful chap he was.   :cool1:

Same here, watched before Sunday lunch, then off over the fields with the other lads in the afternoon.

Hello, it was a must watch back the good old days of Country Sports and Life, Jack came to the Farm i had permission to shoot on but alas i was working that day, He was filmed pigeon shooting, The farm has gone and now a big housing estate, Before moving down South i lived in  Berkshire now Oxfordshire and as Out of Town was on Southern ITV i had to put up a special Arial just to watch our Jack, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What a wonderful life it used to be......................

Well it was and it wasn't.  I was a kid and Jack used to go out actually shooting stuff.  Pigeon decoying with people like Archie Coats and ollie Kite.  Ferreting., duck fighting and other good stuff... then it all changed and it was less good.  Stuff like basket weaving, stuff to do with horses and carts.  I  remember that one program was about fireman's braces to hold his trousers up.  Country fairs and other such Toot.  Total waste of air time.  A bit like the shooting times or basic.  Originally good stuff but degenerated into nostalgic tripe.  I  could have added a lot of other words but what would be the point.  We're doomed. The only redeming thing is that things like FEOs and basic are cutting their own throats because at some stage systems collapse like smoking or pints in the local pub.  And that's the way it is. 

Edit.. at one time there was big brother that would know everything about us in 1984.. was it  and then  when we went in to the year 2000 all of the world was going to collapse because there was a 0 missing from computers.  But since then we ....the country ...the World has sort of tripped up.  A friend who is a welder said that they cant get anyone to work there.  No one has any sort of practical ability and no interest in turning out to work. Perhaps the country will have to pay the illegal immigrants  wages and bonuses to stay here and get a job.

Edited by Minky

27 minutes ago, serrac said:

I'm glad they banned that, cruel cruel sport...  😛

😁😃🤣😵💫 Ha Ha Ha. YES.  Bare knuckle stuff it was. Jack was out there cheering them on.  Still at least there was one person that was alert and read the text.

22 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What a wonderful life it used to be......................

Your bang on there.He was a favourite in my teens I learned a lot in the countryside then and it was a wonderful place.Milking for the farmers got me shooting.we have had the best I think.

3 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

One of the best programs was 'Jacks Game'. 

Archie coats was a cantankerous old fellow.  He sort of had a contempt for Jack, and it seemed to me as if Archie would not have had  this low fellow out in the hide were it not for the fact that the film company were greasing Archie  with cash for his services.  I felt a bit sorry for Pru,  Archie's wife. I bet that he was a bit of a handful. 

3 minutes ago, Minky said:

Archie coats was a cantankerous old fellow.  He sort of had a contempt for Jack, and it seemed to me as if Archie would not have had  this low fellow out in the hide were it not for the fact that the film company were greasing Archie  with cash for his services.  I felt a bit sorry for Pru,  Archie's wife. I bet that he was a bit of a handful. 

I saw him at one of the C L A Game Fairs many years ago on the Eley stand  , the ole boy was well over weight and very abrupt , not the most friendly person you will come across , we were only interested in getting a free diary from Eley , mind you they were already seven months old time you got them so with them being free you couldn't really complain :lol:

21 hours ago, Minky said:

Well it was and it wasn't.  I was a kid and Jack used to go out actually shooting stuff.  Pigeon decoying with people like Archie Coats and ollie Kite.  Ferreting., duck fighting and other good stuff... then it all changed and it was less good.  Stuff like basket weaving, stuff to do with horses and carts.  I  remember that one program was about fireman's braces to hold his trousers up.  Country fairs and other such Toot.

I get what you say, I'd have liked to see more of him shooting, but then I was a lad mad keen on shooting.

Watching them again when I was older I got to appreciate more of the other stuff, and it introduced a lot of town folk to what went on in the countryside, which I think was the aim of it.

Grand chap he use to be on at 9am sunday mornings 1980 when i was apprentice keeper ona game farm arable farm & small shoot . Would get  very early up collect the eggs out of the duck pens and a continuous cycle early doors . Alot of corvids about and a foot path  very near the pen .Ducks can start laying very early in the day unlike pheasants .  Tried to do my egg round  an get to the farm house for a quick  breakfast and out of town ...didnt always pan out like that but great days

2 hours ago, Minky said:

On the other hand, Jack Charlton’s reputation in the shooting world was of the lowest order. He was noted for being selfish and greedy. 
When he was shooting geese for the programme with Arthur Cadman, Arthur was wanting to pack up because they had shot enough but Jack would not do as he was told and continued shooting. 
When he was on the hill at Torridon for the stalking programme with Lea McNally he goofed up so often that eventually Lea had to shoot one for the camera. 
Neither Arthur nor Lea would ever have him back again. 
No doubt Archie Coates was equally enamoured with the man.

Edited by London Best

I have a couple of the box sets, watching them is a bit like travelling back in time but admit that back then I was more interested in being out doing it than watching on tv, fishing has never been my thing so my attention would wane during those bits. I always found the sound effects a bit odd but realised that the original film was shot without audio so sound effects had to be added later.

This spoof invariably raises a chuckle here...    https://youtu.be/zSG2pD-2O2g?feature=shared

I liked Jacks Game as a programme but don't forsee that type of programme being made for mainstream broadcast again, not the way society and it's urban centric media is now.

I had several chats with Archie Coats back in the day. A gruff enough fella of a type more common back then, I always found him ok if you were equally direct. Fred J Taylor, John Humphries, Colin Willock etc etc. All sadly missed. 

Edited by Miserableolgit
Spellcheck misbehaving.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

On the other hand, Jack Charlton’s reputation in the shooting world was of the lowest order. He was noted for being selfish and greedy. 
When he was shooting geese for the programme with Arthur Cadman, Arthur was wanting to pack up because they had shot enough but Jack would not do as he was told and continued shooting. 
When he was on the hill at Torridon for the stalking programme with Lea McNally he goofed up so often that eventually Lea had to shoot one for the camera. 
Neither Arthur nor Lea would ever have him back again. 
No doubt Archie Coates was equally enamoured with the man.

If it was the case it could have been due to the competitive atmosphere of the way he grew up to fight for his place in club and for  country.  And eventually to take the Republic of Ireland to a football world Cup.  Bad form though to go against the wishes of a host. Should have been invited to remove himself from the field. Never mind the money.

We seem to believe what we want to believe without often knowing the true facts , I watched all Jack Charltons ( Jacks Game ) at the time and I was more interested in the program that was being televised than I was of Jack Charlton , he came across alright at the time and we didn't know all the ins and outs , you could say the same with the likes of people like Kenzie Thorpe , very rarely would you hear a bad word about ( The Wild Goose Man ) but when you hear from other fowlers at the time they never had a good word to say about the man , I remember taking a fishing party out to sea who were from the Lincolnshire area and they done a fair bit of fowling as well as sea fishing , the subject got around to wildfowling and when you mentioned Kenzie Thorpe it was like waving a Red flag in front of a Bull , how they sounded they would have sooner shot him at dawn rather than a goose .     MM

17 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

I have a couple of the box sets, watching them is a bit like travelling back in time but admit that back then I was more interested in being out doing it than watching on tv, fishing has never been my thing so my attention would wane during those bits. I always found the sound effects a bit odd but realised that the original film was shot without audio so sound effects had to be added later.

This spoof invariably raises a chuckle here...    https://youtu.be/zSG2pD-2O2g?feature=shared

I liked Jacks Game as a programme but don't forsee that type of programme being made for mainstream broadcast again, not the way society and it's urban centric media is now.

I had several chats with Archie Coats back in the day. A gruff enough fella of a type more common back then, I always found him ok if you were equally direct. Fred J Taylor, John Humphries, Colin Willock etc etc. All sadly missed. 

Jack's Game - Broadcast by Channel 4 no less; absolutely no chance of that now.