Anyone else remember?

DUNKS

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

4 fish and chip shops all trading at the same time.............where were they >?

One when you first came into Cobholm between the Railway pub and the Two Bears pub , that one was called Begarnio's this was one of the cheapest ones where you could get fish and chips for a shilling , 8d for the fish and 4d for the chips , they were alright but a bit greasy . Then you had Brewer's near to where I lived at Dolman Square , these were the best ones , another one that opened was near the entrance to where you used to live at Tyrolean sq , this one was near the juniors school , the fourth one was at the middle of Century Road near the Salisbury Arms pub , the last two were only going for a year or two as the first two were well established and were trading for years, in fact where Brewers was it is still a fish and chip shop to this day .

Also , including the two pubs coming into Cobholm we had at one six pubs that could all make a living , now there are just two .  sign of the times Simon .

Mm, milk from a churn via a pint measure?

Bread from the co op horse drawn carts based at the co op abattoir. Free manure from the street.

Bacon and sausage from an old van, often green at the time after the flies had feasted.

Lovely jubbly as no politico gassing off on the all day news.

Hundreds of Lapwings.

Swimming in the local gravel pit.

On 20/04/2024 at 09:03, marsh man said:

Also , including the two pubs coming into Cobholm we had at one six pubs that could all make a living 

My Grandparents lived in what was then in the 1950’s quite a large village. The population hovered around the 1000 mark. 
For sake of argument we will assume that each couple had two children. 
Again, for sake of argument we will assume that the 500 adults were split 50/50 male/female. 
That means approximately 250 men lived in the village. Very rough figures, I know. It is (just) possible that not all the men were drinkers.
If you count the working men’s club there were 10 pubs in the village. 
That is one pub to every 25 men (women did not go in pubs very often then)

Also I remember, no sell by dates, if it smelled OK you ate it. I remember the street parties after the war when hoarded tins of fruit and corned beef came out all well over six years old.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

My Grandparents lived in what was then in the 1950’s quite a large village. The population hovered around the 1000 mark. 
Again, for sake of argument we will assume that the 500 adults were split 50/50 male/female. 
That means approximately 250 men lived in the village. Very rough figures, I know. It is (just) possible that not all the men were drinkers.

It make you wonder just how many pubs were in the U K at it's peak , our town ( Yarmouth ) is not that big but one of the local books I have got said at one time there was a pub for every day of the year ( 365 ) when I started with a local building firm the boss used to tell us where the next job was on a particular road , at the time I played a lot of darts and if I didn't know the road I asked him what pub is near by and I knew straight away where the road roughly was , now I doubt if there is a pub for every week let alone a day :good:

11 hours ago, London Best said:

In our what was classed as the largest mining village in the world, in it’s heyday we had 25 working men’s clubs (CIU), various pubs and clubs as well.

When the pits closed so did most of the CIU places, I think there is 2 now, we have 5 pubs, some other clubs but not many 😔

:shaun:

For a while when we were young we had a lot of powdered milk , this was in the White tins and called National Dried Milk , when things money wise were suppose to be better we had that thick , sweet ole Nestle's tin milk ,  the soap was carbolic , the cleaning powder was Vim and the washing powder was Daz.

One thing I really miss from the past is walking up the English Partridge , at the time we had good numbers and we never dreamt there would be a day when you can walk all the marshes for mile after mile without seeing a single Grey Partridge , the days of walking onto a covey are unlikely to ever return .    MM

4 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Can’t believe no one has mentioned 

tin baths in front of the fire 

Not in my time, but my parents, when they first came to the house in which I grew up had a plumbed in bath, but only cold running water.  Hot water was carried upstairs in large enamelled steel jugs from a copper in the laundry where a coal (probably coke actually) fire heated an open top tank of water.  We had hot and cold running (and even heated towel rails) by the time I arrived on the scene.

I recall as a 4 year old, living in Yorkshire in 1954, staying with family friends in Bardney, Lincolnshire where the only water in the house was drawn from the well by hand pump, the earth privy was at the end of the garden and apparently dug out when full, the lighting was by tilley lamps and the only relief at night was the gazunder.

Even at that young age, I realised that this wasn't quite usual.

Although we had mains water, electricity and inside lavatories at home, my mother still did the washing in washtubs with a copper posher and we kept food cool in the cellar.  Our fridge and washing machine arrived in 1957.

We had, yes, a horse drawn mil delivery. Hobill's was the company. Their farm ended up having the M1 put through it and Leicester Forest East services. Then not many years later on what was left of the farm the M69. I used to park my car in their farmyard when going to Paris and walk down to Leicester Forest East services to meet the coach going to Paris via Dover and Calais.

We also had coal in sacks from a coal merchant on a flat bed lorry and bread from a bread man with a wicker basket from Geary's bakery of, then, Ratby the next village.

11 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Can’t believe no one has mentioned 

tin baths in front of the fire 

privies down the garden 

shiny izal toilet paper if you were lucky 

now wash your hands 😂

And Bronco toilet paper......if it could be called "paper."

Just now, London Best said:

Did anybody else live in a house with metal window frames? Single glazed, obviously. 
I remember the frost on the inside in the mornings.

I remember lots of the aforementioned things, but,,,, in the mid 60's to late 70's we used to get internal ice on our windows, with timber frames 😆 Had to mop up the puddles on the window cills once it had melted 🙃

7 minutes ago, London Best said:

Did anybody else live in a house with metal window frames? Single glazed, obviously. 

Yes, Crittall window frames (and similar under other brand names).  I still have them in the laundry room, larder and one bathroom.  My parents house has them fully galvanised - and they are still there, as good as new, 70 years on.

The highlight of my tender years was making a go cart from old pram wheels/axle from the tip, wooden box and planks, big wheels at the back and small ones on the steering crossbar pivoted on a nail. steering was by feet and rope, and riding down hill and straight across the main B road at Pendeen in SW cornwall without checking if any cars were coming. Wore out no end of shoes with beatings every time before I invented a handbrake for it.

Smoking woodbines with 2s stole from mums purse. Got a proper thrashing and kicking when a copper came to tell father I'd nicked a rope off a billy goat grazing in a granite quarry. Used to climb up the insides of old tin mine engine stack chimneys. Did potato and stone picking for pocket money and helping stack hay bales on a trailer, loved the ride back on it to the farm. Sitting on the rear wheel arch or riding on the drawbar chatting wi farmer was always something to look forwards to.

On a walk down to Pendeen lighthouse with grandad, he pointed to a cow dropping on the road and asked me what it was, I replied cows mess, he said no boy, its cow****. There's something fantastic about the relationship kids have with grandparents. Grandma gave us an orange for christmas they were so poor. Out all day on the Moor or carn, never got asked where we'd been. Today's kids are so deprived of all that realism, few even get to climb a tree or hay stack.

Edited by Dave-G

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Saw this today and thought it was apt

"It was a lot more fun being 20 in the seventies than 70 in the twenties"

I was a teenager in the 60s and in my 20s in the 70s , the 60s was decade we will never see the likes again , I remember me and a friend went to London on the train as my dad worked on the railway and somehow got some free return tickets , we were in a different world from our towns and cities in Norfolk , walking down Carnaby St and seeing the latest fashions was something else and the sights in the windows at Soho made you shake at the knees , we also went to London to see the man in Black , Johnie Cash with the Carter family and the Swinging Blue Jeans both live , now that will take you back a bit. .

2 hours ago, London Best said:

critall frames ....the french windows had brass locks...........they are worth a bloody fortune now

15 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

God, we had that at school 😖

:shaun:

IZAL " now please wash your hands"

when you went in the loo after lunch at skool if you peered down into the bowl there was always a sheet floating there looking like a negative impression of a down shot of mount Fuji