Uk legal folding saw ?

This advert keeps popping up on my feeds, I really like the look of it, but I’m not sure it’s Uk legal (appears to be a Uk company selling it but that may be a dropshipping set up.

so, experts of the PW, what do you say ? Is this a butterfly knife and banned or does the saw blade make it ok? 

IMG_2699.jpeg

its not a knife so I would say legal but it looks cheap, most likely Chinese, dont think they are a UK company, also very poor reviews on their products.

51% of the reviews are 1 star, think that tells you something.

I have one of these, I take shooting as well as using it in the garden, ideal for sawing branches... https://www.diy.com/departments/faithfull-s010702-countryman-folding-pruning-saw-175mm-7in-faicoufps/5023969004464_BQ.prd

Edited by old'un

If you want a decent folding saw, buy a Bahco Laplander folding saw.

I’ve had mine for a number of years now, and still extremely sharp and is used regularly.

It is relatively small when folded and fits inside my coat pocket, when cutting walking stick shanks.

It’s a brilliant well made little saw.

IMG_2425.jpeg

You see a few adverts on Twitter for extendable walking sticks. Which in fact were friction lock truncheons that the Tory Government made illegal even in the privacy of your own private home just before COVID 19. I had to take my Monadnock to the police station and surrender it under the compensation scheme that was put in place. I also, out of caution, submitted one of the below, as I believed that it could be held to meet the definition of a "push dagger" and, yes, the Home Office accepted it and paid out for it. So the concern is what you, or I may think is X that the Home Office and a Court of Law may think of as Y. Like the infamous R v Singh case now decades ago of mini-flares.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/OEGS100/outdoor-edge-game-skinner-blade-with-gut-hook-black-kraton-handle-leather-sheath

Edited by enfieldspares

That's a butterfly knife or ballisong  .I know it's a saw .but it has a cutting edge-   that's the legal terminology used and how sharp it is or isn't is not relevant . I would stay well clear of it .

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

You see a few adverts on Twitter for extendable walking sticks. Which in fact were friction lock truncheons that the Tory Government made illegal even in the privacy of your own private home just before COVID 19. I had to take my Monadnock to the police station and surrender it under the compensation scheme that was put in place. I also, out of caution, submitted one of the below, as I believed that it could be held to meet the definition of a "push dagger" and, yes, the Home Office accepted it and paid out for it. So the concern is what you, or I may think is X that the Home Office and a Court of Law may think of as Y. Like the infamous R v Singh case now decades ago of mini-flares.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/OEGS100/outdoor-edge-game-skinner-blade-with-gut-hook-black-kraton-handle-leather-sheath

Plus one! Handy bit of kit.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

its not a knife so I would say legal but it looks cheap, most likely Chinese, dont think they are a UK company, also very poor reviews on their products.

51% of the reviews are 1 star, think that tells you something.

I have one of these, I take shooting as well as using it in the garden, ideal for sawing branches... https://www.diy.com/departments/faithfull-s010702-countryman-folding-pruning-saw-175mm-7in-faicoufps/5023969004464_BQ.prd

Plus one. Handy bit of kit.

Cheers all, I’ve got a few decent folding saws , I just liked the look of the fold up one to keep in the truck, but as I suspected it’s probably straddling the line in legality and I’d prefer to air on the side of caution for obvious reasons! 

Hello, just as a side note, i know many on here appreciate good quality and well made items, look no further than this Shop in Oxford, Objects of Use, most made in Japan, i bought the Billhook many years ago for hedge trimming if i were making a pigeon hide without camo netting, the price now to what i paid???

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

16 hours ago, Shambam1962 said:

I’ve had mine for a number of years now, and still extremely sharp and is used regularly.

It is relatively small when folded and fits inside my coat pocket, when cutting walking stick shanks.

IMG_2425.jpeg

I've got one as well,  brilliant tool.

On 04/05/2024 at 15:03, pegasus bridge said:

Is this a butterfly knife and banned or does the saw blade make it ok?

It's one of those questions to which, until there is a 'test case', we may never know the answer.

I believe the actual law says 'blade', not 'knife' - and it has a blade. 

Many of us will have folding saws and locking knives (such as Leatherman's or Opinels for example), but they are allowed under circumstances where there is a good reason - and that would include sporting activities.  It is a 'dodgy area though because having (say) a Leatherman in ones pocket when going on a day shooting may be fine (as it may well be needed), but walking into a filling station pay booth (say) with it still in one's pocket could be risky.

As a slight aside, I read today that Victorinox (Swiss Army Knife manufacturers) are to make a 'knife blade free' version.  I had always assumed Swiss Army knives to be legal carry (as long as the blade was of legal length) because they are not locking.  It may be rules in other countries that is driving the 'knife free' version?

The UK is fast becoming a joke, people carrying Swiss army 'knives' without a blade for everyones safety, while criminals are roaming the streets with mac 10s. I've never seen a scrote with a Swiss army knife, let alone heard of one use one in anger.

On 04/05/2024 at 18:20, Dougy said:

I have 2 Silky folders, wouldn't bother with anything else. 

Silky Fox Is the right answer, minding ones fingers of course. Forged in Japan I think?

5 hours ago, old man said:

Silky Fox Is the right answer, minding ones fingers of course. Forged in Japan I think?

I've got Silky fox pocket Boy and another Silky Fox Big boy. Never used one until I had a go with a mates while we were cutting a beech hedge. Ordered 1 that day. 

Edited by Dougy

3 hours ago, Dougy said:

I've got Silky fox pocket Boy and another Silky Fox Big boy. Never used one until I had a go with a mates while we were cutting a beech hedge. Ordered 1 that day. 

A discerning choice young man.

On 04/05/2024 at 15:47, Shambam1962 said:

IMG_2425.jpeg

I’ve got one of these and it’s great :)