Surrey Police incident with cow?

old man

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never mind chaps.. Kwis is on the case.  Animal cruelty.  Plod is going to be sent to re-education seminar.  AND lessons will have to be learnt.  Again.!!  Still I haven't met a single plod who had much of a clue about anything so I can't imagine them gleaning anything from this.  No one has mentioned how much damage was done to the car and whether it will be a write off.  If there is a repercussion it will be the financial cost.

5 hours ago, ditchman said:

These are degree qualified personnell......................

5 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Means nothing with B Liar's micky mouse degrees for all

I work with an old school ex copper, he hates what has happened to the Police since that load of tosh came in.   :w00t:

People in charge who have no experience and lots of coppers with nowt between their ears but they do have a degree.................:rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

he hates what has happened to the Police since that load of tosh came in.

Our force Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) has a 'team' of 67 people, none of whom do any policing.  Indeed - it is hard to find out what they do actually do because the Chief Constable (CC) and his various Assistant Chief Constables and other higher rankers also have teams who actually run the police. 

It is almost as though the PCC's team produce reports and 'policy' from data provided by the CC's team.  These reports are then the subject of numerous meetings and studies carried out by the CC's team and the resultant report fed back to the PCC's team.

These reports are then the subject of numerous meetings and studies carried out by the PCC's team and the resultant report fed back to the CC's team.

And so it goes on.

Lots of 'work' done, many people gainfully employed, very demanding of resources, so departments need expanding to cope with the workload, but that will need more reports, studies etc.

In the meanwhile, crime goes on and the 'detection rate' for burglaries has (apparently) fallen to less than one in 25.  Friend of mine had house broken into and both his cars stolen from his drive only last week.

8 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Our force Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) has a 'team' of 67 people, none of whom do any policing.  Indeed - it is hard to find out what they do actually do because the Chief Constable (CC) and his various Assistant Chief Constables and other higher rankers also have teams who actually run the police. 

It is almost as though the PCC's team produce reports and 'policy' from data provided by the CC's team.  These reports are then the subject of numerous meetings and studies carried out by the CC's team and the resultant report fed back to the PCC's team.

These reports are then the subject of numerous meetings and studies carried out by the PCC's team and the resultant report fed back to the CC's team.

And so it goes on.

Lots of 'work' done, many people gainfully employed, very demanding of resources, so departments need expanding to cope with the workload, but that will need more reports, studies etc.

In the meanwhile, crime goes on and the 'detection rate' for burglaries has (apparently) fallen to less than one in 25.  Friend of mine had house broken into and both his cars stolen from his drive only last week.

"Jobs for the boys(and girls)" job creation scheme for the civil service

6 hours ago, Westley said:

So do all of the ex armed forces who join the Police, already have their 'degrees' then  ?

i wouldnt think so...obviously the police think they are already qualified due to different experience.............

is it not the case if you want to join the police direct from civvy street you have to have a degree ?

16 hours ago, old'un said:

Hugh Broom, National Farmers' Union's South East livestock chairman…..needs sacking.

Agreed, If that's his idea of welfare?

13 hours ago, Minky said:

Never mind chaps.. Kwis is on the case.  Animal cruelty.  Plod is going to be sent to re-education seminar.  AND lessons will have to be learnt.  Again.!!  Still I haven't met a single plod who had much of a clue about anything so I can't imagine them gleaning anything from this.  No one has mentioned how much damage was done to the car and whether it will be a write off.  If there is a repercussion it will be the financial cost.

Yep. Not your average cheapie run about.

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

i wouldnt think so...obviously the police think they are already qualified due to different experience.............

is it not the case if you want to join the police direct from civvy street you have to have a degree ?

No you don't  !

Just now, Westley said:

No you don't  !

well the current media would have us believe that is the case..........and i have based all my beliefs on this.......

i have been hoodwinked

Yep,  I have been retired for 22 years, but I still shoot clays with a lot of serving Bobbies, attending a lot of Police competitions. I was in the company of 3 serving Bobbies last night, one of whom has less than 12 months in the job, he does not have a degree. The Graduate entry scheme that you may be referring to,  was a 'fast track to the top' , which unfortunately led to a lot of the top brass, leaving a lot to be desired  !

Animals escape sometimes, it's inevitable.

Police get called to situations that are way beyond their experience, that's inevitable too - they can't be expert at everything. The problems arise when they assume that they can deal with a situation because they are police officers and are experts at everything.

Surely someone in their office could have phoned any livestock farmer in the area? That's what happens in our rural area, farmers always turn out to help when the police ask them to, it may be moving a tree that's come down (a forklift that's just half a mile away is always better than calling out a contractor 20 miles away) or it may be a loose animal, they always help despite getting little or no help from the police in return (theft etc doesn't seem to interest the police). 

It seems to me that this happened simply because nobody thought it through. The drama was created by ignorance!

19 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

think I read somewhere it had been roaming about and damaging stuff for 3 days

If that's true then the farmer needs a slap.

18 hours ago, JKD said:

this instance, with it being a calf, if someone had the actual gonads to guide it into a garden or similar, things would have gone much better.

I said to my Mrs looking at how young it was you could probably just put a dog lead on it and walk it away,  a big angry Cow or bull is another thing.

8 minutes ago, GHE said:

Animals escape sometimes, it's inevitable.

Police get called to situations that are way beyond their experience, that's inevitable too - they can't be expert at everything. The problems arise when they assume that they can deal with a situation because they are police officers and are experts at everything.

Surely someone in their office could have phoned any livestock farmer in the area? That's what happens in our rural area, farmers always turn out to help when the police ask them to, it may be moving a tree that's come down (a forklift that's just half a mile away is always better than calling out a contractor 20 miles away) or it may be a loose animal, they always help despite getting little or no help from the police in return (theft etc doesn't seem to interest the police). 

It seems to me that this happened simply because nobody thought it through. The drama was created by ignorance!

Yes, BUT, when they get put into those situations,  they are EXPECTED to know how to deal with it. It is inevitable that mistakes will be made. In my day, over 20 years ago, that animal would have been shot, end of. All of this rubbish about using a dart gun, does not even apply. Try getting your hands on a dart gun first, then find a suitable person to use it. I can ASSURE you that in my experience,  you would not get a vet out to deal with it. The RSPCA would only turn up if there was sufficient media coverage to make it worth their while. I have taken many injured animals to the PDSA, and they were always willing to help, but you have to go to them. Whatever happened in this situation, it was ALWAYS going to end up with the Police being criticised. It must be realised that those making the decisions to act and to how best to deal with things are sat in a control room somewhere and are not therefore fully aware of the situation. They envisage a large lump of beef running amok, a danger to the public, it must be stopped. I once took out a raving lunatic armed with a sword, I used an Austin mini to achieve this. I would dread to think of the repercussions from that today  !

A dart gun requires an animal weight to ensure correct amount of sedative the they have to be correct distance plus it’s far from instant a 1/2 drugged calf is probably even worse risk wise !

A bull escaped from an abattoir 15 years ago near us - exited through the side of the cattle trailer- For the safety of the cow and public it was pinned to a wall with a landrover and one eithe end to enable the Humain dispatch - 

agriv8

15 minutes ago, Westley said:

Yes, BUT, when they get put into those situations,  they are EXPECTED to know how to deal with it. It is inevitable that mistakes will be made. In my day, over 20 years ago, that animal would have been shot, end of. All of this rubbish about using a dart gun, does not even apply. Try getting your hands on a dart gun first, then find a suitable person to use it. I can ASSURE you that in my experience,  you would not get a vet out to deal with it. The RSPCA would only turn up if there was sufficient media coverage to make it worth their while. I have taken many injured animals to the PDSA, and they were always willing to help, but you have to go to them. Whatever happened in this situation, it was ALWAYS going to end up with the Police being criticised. It must be realised that those making the decisions to act and to how best to deal with things are sat in a control room somewhere and are not therefore fully aware of the situation. They envisage a large lump of beef running amok, a danger to the public, it must be stopped. I once took out a raving lunatic armed with a sword, I used an Austin mini to achieve this. I would dread to think of the repercussions from that today  !

Agreed. But they should still have sought help from a local farmer, that was the obvious and normal way forward.

Earlier this year I received a call from a farmer I hardly knew. 
“Farmer A here. I’ve got a bull running amok. He’s always been crazy, but he’s just gone through a post and four rails fence like it wasn’t there. I can’t get within 100 yds of him. If he goes through another fence like that he’s on a main road. I called farmer B because he’s got a gun and he says you may be better able to help.” 
Me, “where is it?” 
Farmer A, “on the bank below the cross roads.” 
Me, “perfect, I’ll be with you in 15 minutes”. 
Farmer A, “should I call the police?” 
Me, “NO! Call the knacker man.” 
I went to the gate at the bottom of the bank and the animal came halfway down to me and stood snorting and blowing. A .308 in the neck dropped it like a sack of spuds. Job done, no drama necessary. 
Farmer A, “how much do I owe you?” 
Me, “what for? I was never here.”

46 minutes ago, London Best said:

Earlier this year I received a call from a farmer I hardly knew. 
“Farmer A here. I’ve got a bull running amok. He’s always been crazy, but he’s just gone through a post and four rails fence like it wasn’t there. I can’t get within 100 yds of him. If he goes through another fence like that he’s on a main road. I called farmer B because he’s got a gun and he says you may be better able to help.” 
Me, “where is it?” 
Farmer A, “on the bank below the cross roads.” 
Me, “perfect, I’ll be with you in 15 minutes”. 
Farmer A, “should I call the police?” 
Me, “NO! Call the knacker man.” 
I went to the gate at the bottom of the bank and the animal came halfway down to me and stood snorting and blowing. A .308 in the neck dropped it like a sack of spuds. Job done, no drama necessary. 
Farmer A, “how much do I owe you?” 
Me, “what for? I was never here.”

Aaaahh,,,, so that was you !? 🤔🤭😆 The dry aged rib was delicious, thank you 😊

2 hours ago, GHE said:

Agreed. But they should still have sought help from a local farmer, that was the obvious and normal way forward.

And by the time that arrives.............?

Perhaps they should have coaxed it onto the back seat of their patrol car and detained it there with the seat belt   ?   🙄

2 hours ago, clangerman said:

there’s no excuse here this idiot was clearly trying to take the calf out by running it over with a car anyone part of a decision lacking this much common sense should not be drawing wages from tax payers 

Ah, so its you who pays their wages  ?  Do you plan on any wage increases in the near future then  ?   🥱

11 minutes ago, Westley said:

And by the time that arrives.............?

Perhaps they should have coaxed it onto the back seat of their patrol car and detained it there with the seat belt   ?   🙄

So what was he going to do by trapping it under the car ? who was he waiting for a vet  ?

As i said if he was a an armed responce unit then yes trap it shoot it job done all he did was stress the animal out more 

Edited by Rim Fire

This happened in suburban Staines, didn’t it?

Why would any local copper have any knowledge of dealing with cattle? Different, perhaps, in a farming area.

He used the tool he had available and neutralised the perceived threat without apparently seriously damaging the animal.

Job well done, in my eyes.

35 minutes ago, amateur said:

Why would any local copper have any knowledge of dealing with cattle? Different, perhaps, in a farming area.

He used the tool he had available and neutralised the perceived threat without apparently seriously damaging the animal.

it may have been in a surburban area but the farm was just over a mile away, have you watced the video? if so how did he neutralise the perceived threat?

Edited by old'un

56 minutes ago, amateur said:

Really? If you had taken the other same decision, a world of pain would be on your doorstep?