who would seriously like to leave the u.k?

unapalomablanca

My friend Gordon has had a place in Ibiza for years but says he could never stand living there permanently. He's sure thats the mistake most Brits make. They sell up everything in UK and burn their bridges, most return back to Britain after a few years disillusioned, they call them boomerang brits.

Pretty much the same thing happened with Aus. I knew loads of blokes who went in their 20s, it was the thing to do back then, but they all came back.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't leave.

I'd like a bundle of money to buy a second home somewhere hot, no more than 3 hours away on a plane, set up a home office and leave in the middle of November and come back middle of April.

The grass isn't greener but the sunshine is brighter.

Who has had a crappy day when the sun is out and shining and the skies are blue.

Snap out if it, it'll all get better when the sun comes out - we are all suffering from extended winter hibernation / SAD syndrome.

I have a pretty much open offer of a job in Singapore, which does appeal; low tax, climate, travel, decent law and order. But I know I would miss the uk too much, friends, family, and all the little things you don't appreciate when you are here. Spent a few years abroad with the army and know what it is like

I wouldn't leave.

I'd like a bundle of money to buy a second home somewhere hot, no more than 3 hours away on a plane, set up a home office and leave in the middle of November and come back middle of April.

The grass isn't greener but the sunshine is brighter.

Who has had a crappy day when the sun is out and shining and the skies are blue.

Snap out if it, it'll all get better when the sun comes out - we are all suffering from extended winter hibernation / SAD syndrome.

Wise words. Ok. well i could easily do the option you suggest, 6 months canaries, 6 months britain. :good:

I looked into BC in Canada but as I would be a government employee (teacher) I would have to speak FRENCH and English. I dont speak french. Now Im too old (to get in). Its not going to happen.

It is a stunning country though.

BC Canada, that's where I'd be off too given half a chance,

Atb

Flynny

I'd like to go anywhere to escape the overcrowding of Britain. I'm finding 1000 people per square mile is becoming insupportable, and its going to get much much worse. If that counts as running away so be it, I couldn't care less what other people think. Not bothered about weather, the economy, lifestyle, language as long as there is space and ideally a chance to shoot. I should have married my ex and stayed in Australia when I had the chance, but I was young and foolish.

Like many people I lack the money or the entry requirements, and increasingly the youth necessary to move to the usual places. But something will have to give soon.

I'm with you Gimlet, why can't our goverment see that as an island we have a finite land mass with imutable borders, they keep cramming people in and down goes the quality of life.

I am very lucky and go to France, Brittany frequently and the uncrowded space is a joy...I certainly notice it once back home. :sad1:

I would love to go but I just couldn't. I am born, bred and was once proud and hope to be again one day.

Cut me in half and you will find at George's cross I am sure.

I will be the last man standing here if I have to be, and if I am the it will be MY United Kingdom !

Wet to oz on a working visa for 12 month. Met an English girl lol now waiting for her Finnish uni so we can go back. When I was thinking about going a lot of older guys kept saying to me "wish that I had gone when I was your age. You can't do it when you get kids" .... I was like **** that get gone. Was the best thing I ever did. For people that say well its alonge way are just making excuses at the end of the day it's only 24 hours away. Any one thinking of doing it DO IT. Did loads of shooting on the 90000 acres that I was working on cant wait get back out there.

My best mate from Teeside moved to Sydney coming up 3 years ago. They left the UK and moved to a shire of Sydney. (That's what they call the outskirts for those who 'claim' they want to go there).

They earned between them £80k and lived in a beautiful Victorian terrace in yarm.

(The house sold for £350k, approx £200k in their pocket to go). They both went with jobs.

They now own a flat, 2 bedroom, 30 mins on the 'metro' out of Sydney centre, they earn approx £120k between them and they class there lifestyle as going down a slight notch compared to the UK, although house size wise, a lot smaller.

Baz is a surfer, he went to the north east coast, regularly, he now lives a 20 min car drive from bondi beach, he's been about 10 times since they have been there due to work, they are happy but work significantly more hours then they did in the uk, baz 5 days a week, Em's on 6 days a week, they need to, to lead the life style they have chosen, I could go on and on and argue with the 'leavers ' who are desperate for another life, my mates are happy, will stay in oz, have questioned themselves and their decisions, but decided its the right thing to do as their only family they have anything to do with are out in oz.

To the OZ/NZ/US leavers, have you worked the sums/lifestyle out? Or have you just had a holiday there and your heads in the clouds?

Edit

FACT - It is incredibly difficult to access guns in OZ even as a land owner.

Edited by markm

Come to Canada. We have lots of room. Currently the jobs really crying for workers are the trades. Welders,carpenters, mechanics etc. Journyman wages seem to be about $ 32.00 hr, although certainly goes up to over 40 fro oilfield work. You could get sponsered immigration in a heartbeat as skilled farm labor. Doesn't pay as well but often comes with housing and other benefits. Buying a busines or investing $300,000.00 (lbs 120,000) will get you fast tracked in to the province of Saskatchewan.

There are several british locals in my small 300 person town and nearby. One makes semi auto Sten guns for a living. Another was a school teacher. Truck driving is popular and good money but on the road. Our best import from the old country is my warbride neighbour ,Sylvia. She came to a farm next door in 46 from London. She had never been out of the city and laughs when she says she didn't know a chicken from a cow. Her husband was a bomber pilot and spent 2 years in a POW camp, he died many years ago. Sylvia is a very special person and we all love her. She only made it back to the old country once. She will leave a big hole in our hearts when she is gone.