Benefits street

Lampwick

Stop benefits, open a canteen in the area for meal times, have a laundrette in the area with a list of names, pay their gas/elec Bill unless it's stupidly high due to illegal activities. Would save an absolute fortune. Most of these people don't wanna support themselves so let us support them :)

For those claiming disabilities or any other circumstances then these should be investigated properly and the people being investigated be aware why. with the money saving it may benefit the genuine ones.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son teaches in an inner city school in Birmingham and he is teaching third generation benefit children and he will ask them what job they want to aim for and they say they will go on the dole like mom and dad and grandad and do a bit of cash in hand. Yet the immigrant children want to work to create there own business. It seems that we have lost the work ethic as life is too easy for some.

Edited by pigeon controller

"Poverty like beauty lies in the eye of the beholder" (Pete Townsend)

We however set a poverty threshold below which we don't accept. Could the level be too high?

Landlines and mobile phone, television, central heating are luxuries in my opinion!

I'm told by a social worker friend water, gas, electricity won't be cut off if they don't pay their bills and have children at home! She says the homes she visits are always hot, heating on all day. I can't afford that. The bills eventually get written off.

The problem is the system has been too good and people have got used to it!

AThere are limited levels of aspiration to better lifestyles. I can't imagine a life in which I don't move more than a few miles from my home, don't have a holiday etc but to many this is the norm.

Is there a wasted generation in some communities and should we accept it?

The issue is how do you raise aspirations especially in the young who have a chance?

I think our biggest problem was the move into a service led economy! Yesterday's great news re the boom in car sales is all smoke and mirrors, once again based on credit!

the proposed rise in the minimum wage hopefully to something you could live on may help encourage people to think about work, its only worth giving up your benefits if your not worse of i would imagine

As mentioned raising the minimum wage will have a knock on effect to everyone, prices would have to go up to cover these wage increases so people would end up paying more out of their new raised minimum wage, reducing the amount of money given out as benefits would be better incentive to work for a living, benefits should be an amount that covers the basics not provide a lifestyle option.

Yep Pigeon Controller is right, i work in Community Development, and found a similar attitude in some parts of Cardiff and the Valleys (a part of Wales where at one time the work ethic was very strong) one young lad i worked with got a job and was slated by members of his family for "paying tax and NI to the Government" thankfully he stuck at it.

I would like to suggest offering ladies from this social class easy access to either sterlisation, or the injected contraceptive (think its called dipravera) they wont be able to say "i forgot to take the pill" (OK unrealistic but hey a pretty harmless comment!)

Cheers

Aled

Edited by Aled

As mentioned raising the minimum wage will have a knock on effect to everyone, prices would have to go up to cover these wage increases so people would end up paying more out of their new raised minimum wage, reducing the amount of money given out as benefits would be better incentive to work for a living, benefits should be an amount that covers the basics not provide a lifestyle option.

dont think prices would go up that much we dont make anything we import everything from places with no minimum wage :lol:

Clothing, shoes, electric goods, etc. Where do they grow on?

Do you seriously think that paying for a soup kitchen or laundry to be run in every area of the UK will be economically viable?

absolutely

what electric goods do they need?, have a catalogue system with vouchers to pick from the catalogue for clothes, shoes etc. there are plenty of deserted shops etc what could easily be converted into soup kitchens etc, make those claiming the longest work in them or they loose their benefits,

remember the whole idea is so they are able to survive, not to have luxuries like tvs, phones, latest trainers, cars etc etc. Why should they get these when others have to work for them.

I'm sure with the structure above their will be a sudden drop in the unemployed.

absolutely

what electric goods do they need?, have a catalogue system with vouchers to pick from the catalogue for clothes, shoes etc. there are plenty of deserted shops etc what could easily be converted into soup kitchens etc, make those claiming the longest work in them or they loose their benefits,

remember the whole idea is so they are able to survive, not to have luxuries like tvs, phones, latest trainers, cars etc etc. Why should they get these when others have to work for them.

I'm sure with the structure above their will be a sudden drop in the unemployed.

Totally agree...there is no "need" for any electrical goods such as mobile phones, laptops or the ubiquitous 50" plasma tv...they are luxuries and not required for survival, yet a lot on that programme had all of these and more...same with fags and booze, shouldn't be legal to spend benefit money on anything other than the essentials and I am inclined to agree that there should be no benefit money at all, just vouchers / hand outs.

But then as mentioned before we now have a culture of "I want it now", rather than "I can't afford it or will have to save up" so people live beyond their means on credit and by buying from weekly payment stores...so people will see those of us who work and pay taxes with things and then assume it is unfair that they don't have them.....or sadly more often than not the career benefits claimants who have no intentions of working can often afford more luxuries than tax payers despite never having worked - I challenge anyone to argue how this is acceptable in any way at all?

Increasing the minimum wage in my opinion is moving in the wrong direction - we will never ever be able to compete with low cost economies if we do that. We have a pool of potential cheap resources - benefits claimants who are able to work (I am not talking about disability benefits etc) - we should be making good use of them to contribute to the economy and make them earn benefits.

The point that annoyed me a lot from that programme is how they kept complaining that "their" money had been stopped - well it's not "your" money, it's taxpayers money that has to be paid out for you to spend on fags, booze, drugs and track suits (as if you have ever done any form of exercise!) as is meant to be a temporary safety net, NOT a lifestyle choice.

Something needs to be done so that a life / generations of lives on benefits is not an option - I don't know what the solution is and I am not an economist but all the bleeding heart lefties keep banging on about fairness - let's find a way to be fair on those of us that work rather than those that CHOOSE not to.

Edited by oscarsdad

Totally agree...there is no "need" for any electrical goods such as mobile phones, laptops or the ubiquitous 50" plasma tv...they are luxuries and not required for survival, yet a lot on that programme had all of these and more...same with fags and booze, shouldn't be legal to spend benefit money on anything other than the essentials and I am inclined to agree that there should be no benefit money at all, just vouchers / hand outs.

But then as mentioned before we now have a culture of "I want it now", rather than "I can't afford it or will have to save up" so people live beyond their means on credit and by buying from weekly payment stores...so people will see those of us who work and pay taxes with things and then assume it is unfair that they don't have them.....or sadly more often than not the career benefits claimants who have no intentions of working can often afford more luxuries than tax payers despite never having worked - I challenge anyone to argue how this is acceptable in any way at all?

Increasing the minimum wage in my opinion is moving in the wrong direction - we will never ever be able to compete with low cost economies if we do that. We have a pool of potential cheap resources - benefits claimants who are able to work (I am not talking about disability benefits etc) - we should be making good use of them to contribute to the economy and make them earn benefits.

The point that annoyed me a lot from that programme is how they kept complaining that "their" money had been stopped - well it's not "your" money, it's taxpayers money that has to be paid out for you to spend on fags, booze, drugs and track suits (as if you have ever done any form of exercise!) as is meant to be a temporary safety net, NOT a lifestyle choice.

Something needs to be done so that a life / generations of lives on benefits is not an option - I don't know what the solution is and I am not an economist but all the bleeding heart lefties keep banging on about fairness - let's find a way to be fair on those of us that work rather than those that CHOOSE not to.

So is this going to go down the route of making people work for their benefits, ie sweep the streets, litter pickers?

If it is then it makes a mockery of the minimum wage thread currently going....just saying.

:shaun:

absolutely

Kettle, radio, hairdryer, plus these people would need £000's as soon as they got a job so they could feed themselves,clean their clothes etc so many may just see themselves as being further removed from " normal" society so you have made yet another underclass...well done you!

Roll on the next episode. It just gets better, we find out who is responsible for the litter.

Soup kitchens might work in a village but in a City like Brum you would need a thousand kitchens, plus staff. It just wouldn't work We cant even run the kitchens in our Schools or Hospitals.

We were once proud to say "We can make anything from a Pin to a Railway Engine" We've lost massive amounts of industry and it's not been replaced, so we end up with about 1 in 4 being out of work and some long term unemployed.

Hadn't watched this before, but have just watched the last 5 minutes......hilarious! 'I've got qualifications running out my ears, I have. I'm just a lazy ****!' Gym Instructor; 5 a side football referee; oral English...' Brilliant! He obviously doesn't feel guilty enough regarding his kids to stop being a ****. Comedy Gold.

reducing benefits dont do the working man any good he needs more cash and dont give a **** about benefits

I'm going to post the same thing I posted in the other Benefits street thread.

The Ideals behind the benefit system is about creating a minimum stranded of living.

Sorry it was not designed for minimum standard of living, you were on your backside to get the payments, meager as they were, it was to keep you alive, not in tv:fags:

. Booze: it was a subsistence level: they also had Means testing included, that has gone by the board as well. We Are talking of very low payouts not make it easier to lay in bed than go to work. Your father should have educated you into HIS World, You would not be so Patronising in your beliefs. Sorry Hard Facts. My opinion as well.

Kettle, radio, hairdryer, plus these people would need £000's as soon as they got a job so they could feed themselves,clean their clothes etc so many may just see themselves as being further removed from " normal" society so you have made yet another underclass...well done you!

kettle - why? i have to pay to drink tea and coffee if i realy want to, its not a nessecity

radio- why? i dont listen to mine much and again i paid for it

hair drier n- why? whats wrong with a towel? what did we use before these?

why would they need £000 as soon as they had a job? why not have a loan scheme free of interest for a week or a month then pay the money back? they will only need basic comodities which their wage should cover (like most working people)

and as for the "high costs" for food kitchens etc, its far cheaper producing meals in bulk than individualy, the initial set up costs would be expensive BUT with the money saved from payouts it wouldnt take long to pay it back. you could probably have pre prepaired meals delivered cheaper than paying benefits directly. due to the nature of being skint most will live in certain areas anyway so i wouldnt have thought they will be highly dispersed.

its hard in this day and age to realise what is actualy required to survive. how did we cope years ago with straw beds, growing our own, no central heating, no telephone, no tv, no car, litrally no money etc etc

We should provide the absolute basics to those who find themselves in the position to need it. We shouldn't provide a currency which can be used universally to purchase non basics. We should provide absolutely zero to those with no intention to work and support themselves.

The general attitude from the government and most people over the last few decades has been far to cuddly. We need to show people the real reality of life and not give them the option to avoid it.