Most reliable 4X4 please?

Colc08

I am thinking of getting a small 4x4 to replace my astra estate. Just makes sense as dont do many miles and what my car is geting used/abused for i'd be better off with a small 4x4 to knock around it. Ideally a commercial 2 seater type so i can use the load space for my dog box and sacks of wheat without folding the back seats down.

Was very close to purchasing a swb 3.2 shogun today but pulled out at the last minute due to my gut feeling and some nasty write ups on them. I'm not saying they are all bad and any motor can have its problems and all though horroe stories on the internet can make anything look bad it just didn't fill me with confidence at all.

In your experiences what is the most reliable small 4x4 on the road? Its just for doing my 20 mile road trip to work and back, taking the dogs out in and going around doing my birds at the shoot.

Opinions will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Col

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shogun if you don't buy an old munter

I know I really want a Shogun but it sounds like its hit and miss. I suppose by getting an auto it at least rules out the duel fly whell going and the by replacing the top chain guide as soon as bought might lessen the chances of that taking the engine out.....then just pray.

I have found a nice high end model 06 plate thats an auto not far from me so might take a look a the weekend. Also lower miles than the one i seen today....and 2k cheaper!

How easy are the back seats to take out completely? Was thinking of doing that and blacking the rear windows out so its pretty much like the comercial version.

col

I hate to say it, but if you're buying something 8 to 10 years old or more, then it might be an absolute dog of a money pit, or it might be perfect for 5 years. Or anywhere in between. That applies if it's a Freelander with 20k on the clock, or a Shogun with 160k, or ...

You get the idea.

Personally, I've got a 2.7d 3 door Terrano. Had it for 2 years, only had to service and MOT it. Before that, I had a Trooper commercial for 3 years. Never had a problem with that either

Edited by robbiep

I agree with robbiep I bought a ford ranger when it was 6 years old its now 14 years old apart from normal wear and tear-set of tyres, new set ball joints last year plus 2 front drive shaft boots the only big job was new rear spring but it had hauled hell of a lot of ballast 1 ton min plus 72 concrete blocks from time to time not to mention 240 concrete roofing tiles so spring took a hammering but engine still sweet as a nut and only fitted 1 new battery as well. I was lucky hope you are with what ever you buy.

How seriously do you want to go off road?

I`ve got a Honda CRV mk2 which has a modest off road ability coupled with legendary reliablity and longevity.

To be honest it won't be a lot but when i do need to go off road it will be important. I have just taken on keepering half our shoot on a part time basis so when the weather comes wet i'll still need to get food to my partridges. Other than that not a great deal other than dropping decoying gear off over stubbles (which currently i can't do as the farmer doesn't want my low exhaust starting a stubble fire!)

I get about 24mpg out of my swb terrano, had a lwb maverick before and got the same.

Had a disco 1......... Terrible, like driving a barge, hated it.

Before that i had a daihatsu fourtrak fieldman 2.8 turbo diesel swb van..... Awesome little shooting bus, plenty of ground clearance absolutely loved it, would go anywhere and more importantly would get you out of trouble easily. Would have another but parts are hard to come by and bloody expensive when you do.

Edited by carpentermark

For what you want it to do I'd look at single/king cab pickups add a canopy and its good for dogs feed dead foxes pigeon etc and they tend to be cheaper than a double cab Hilux have a good reputation I know of a few 20 year old ones used daily. they tend to hold their value well. Ford or Mazda would be less money.

I have a Ranger double cab in 40000 miles and 7 years its had a rear spring and cv boot on the front. plus usual servicing. A set of B F Goodrich AT's make it good off road without to much noise on the road.

I used to have a Trooper lovely motor but not much fun with a fox or two in the back.

I am thinking of getting a small 4x4 to replace my astra estate. Just makes sense as dont do many miles and what my car is geting used/abused for i'd be better off with a small 4x4 to knock around it. Ideally a commercial 2 seater type so i can use the load space for my dog box and sacks of wheat without folding the back seats down.

Was very close to purchasing a swb 3.2 shogun today but pulled out at the last minute due to my gut feeling and some nasty write ups on them. I'm not saying they are all bad and any motor can have its problems and all though horroe stories on the internet can make anything look bad it just didn't fill me with confidence at all.

In your experiences what is the most reliable small 4x4 on the road? Its just for doing my 20 mile road trip to work and back, taking the dogs out in and going around doing my birds at the shoot.

Opinions will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Col

Anything Japanese