First flight success

fenboy

I only started wildfowling proper last season , it was hard work and a steep learning curve , I did not have a great season bag wise managing just three wigeon two of which were shot on the last day.

Despite my lack of success I really enjoyed it and was looking forward to this season, due to work it was not until this evening I managed my first flight.

It was a long walk to my chosen spot taking best part of a hour.

I had not been there long when I saw a few duck leaving the marsh a few hundred yards from where I sat , so I decided to move and hope some more would use the same area .

I had only been in the new spot about 15 mins when three mallard headed my way , it was totally windless and the duck were well up around 50 yards but I am pretty confident in shooting to that distance so up went the gun and the lowest of the bunch folded dead and hit the marsh with a thump , even with the dog it took some finding but he scented it eventually and made his first ever marsh retrieve .

Within another 15 mins there was a repeat performance as another high mallard folded stone dead , landing in a creek just in front of me , the dog had marked this one and soon collected it.

So a very pleasing start two shots and two duck.

I was using Eley lightning 36 grams of 3s through a Briley extended light full choke.

P1000184_zps05c83a76.jpg

P1000189_zps11e3b69d.jpg

Edited by fenboy

They are a fantastic cartridge for the price , they absolutely pole axed the duck .

Good on you, nothing better than when they fold up dead at distance! Even better when you see your dog work well to bring them to hand. I can't wait to get out onto the marsh to have a go.

Edited by Ttfjlc

Did you pull the head off that bird per chance? LOL. Well done on getting a pair off your own plan its what wildfowling its the core of the challenge. The dogs all sorted with his delivery now then?

Well spotted though I am pretty sure the duck was dead , it was giving a few spasms so I swung its head against my antler thumb stick , I was a tad heavy handed and almost decapitated it.

The dog is not perfect but I am hoping practice will help , my main concern on the marsh is finding them which he did ok , one was returned straight away another he did a lap of honour with.

He did bring some pigeon nicely to hand today so things are looking up.

Well spotted though I am pretty sure the duck was dead , it was giving a few spasms so I swung its head against my antler thumb stick , I was a tad heavy handed and almost decapitated it.

The dog is not perfect but I am hoping practice will help , my main concern on the marsh is finding them which he did ok , one was returned straight away another he did a lap of honour with.

He did bring some pigeon nicely to hand today so things are looking up.

Grow up problems I suspect, my lab did that and worse. On the other point my wifes mate went grouse beating the other week for the first time and a wounder fell near her, so she necked it and pulled the head clean off ( I guess it didn't get hung on the cart) :rolleyes:

He is still a long way from perfect JDog , however any dog is better than no dog on the marsh , it has got to the stage where much of his training will be "on the job "

You couldn't have wished for a better start to the season, brilliant and what a lovely looking dog . I have never had the perfect dog if you mean it doing every thing you ask it to do perfect, but what I have had have been loyal and dogs that have done more than there best to bring back the fowl that you have shot and any minor faults I don't worry about.