Are you British ....

Harnser

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just think how much strife is caused by splitting up into tribes

Indeed. But I think reverting to our identities as English, Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish is not so much to do with any lessening of fondness for each other or respect for our mutual cultures as a recoiling from the perversion of "Britishness" by successive Governments' actions.

Speak for yourself ....... Do not believe that rubbish.

It's almost exclusively accepted by paleoanthropologists and geneticists, because the evidence has suggested thus. There may be some Chinese scientists that still believe that we spontaneously evolved in 2 places at once but it's unlikely to say the least.

We are a young species so we are essentially the same the world over - it's the cultural differences between us that have the biggest effect on our sense of belonging and nationality.

Maybe my old brain wandering, but wasnt there once a British Isles.

My thoughts are I am British because I live and was born in the British Isles then I am English as that is where I was borne so I must be British/English as the Scots the Welsh I am not shore about NI as it is more of a dependency than British although one could argue that Ireland as a hole is in the British Isles.

One other point that I have not herd talked about is defence look what hapend in WW2 the British all worked to stop Hitler what did suthern Irland do apart from punish there men who joind our army to stop him would the Scots just opt out if it ever hapend again.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Seems only the English see themselves as British.

I always used to say Brit but last few years I say English and will cross out British on forms and write English if not given the choice.

Seems all this patriotism and flag waving by the other uk nations has finally affected us.

Yoda seems to be getting a bit excited, showing his tool :lol:

Figgy

Nope Im British Northern Irish living in Scotland part of Britain and proud to be a son of an proud Englishman who fought for his country and the son of a Northern Irish woman who had long lost Scottish relatives. United we stand divided we fall. No to King salmond.

English mother, Welsh Father.

British...but NEVER European.

British, which means that I have formidable friends who have my back, ‘when we are not fighting each other of course’ :friends: :good:

An addendum: Unless standing next to an Irishman a Scotsman or a Welshman, then I am most defiantly an Englishman and that’s often when the trouble starts. :innocent:

Edited by STOTTO

I'm British then Welsh

I served and fought in the British Army for the British People.

I'm proud to be Welsh and server with proud Welsh soldiers but I will also be British first.

A similar sentiment from me, my service in the British Army forged my opinion on this. I'm proud to be English, but even more so so be British, a nation that is far greater than the sum of its parts. I am genuinely gutted that the union may be about to come to an end.