What do you reckon to this video?

sitsinhedges

The first video was good, some closer shots but in the heat of the moment....

The 2nd video i didnt get past the intro. No respect for those birds at all, I would hate to be the game keeper there watching those idoits blow the birds to pieces! - IMHO

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first video was good, some closer shots but in the heat of the moment....

The 2nd video i didnt get past the intro. No respect for those birds at all, I would hate to be the game keeper there watching those idoits blow the birds to pieces! - IMHO

To some extent the gamekeepers and probably the estate owners in both videos were culpable. The individual in the first video and the team in the second had absolutely no idea of sportsmanship or right from wrong. However the keepers should have made an effort to put better birds over the line. Had I been in the team shooting in Spain I would have walked off in disgust at seeing what the other guns were up to.

Really unusual to see someone with such good timing when game shooting, he obviously does a lot of it to get that sharp. Bit of a shame he shot so many of the lower ones as he was very capable of shooting the longer ones, but I suppose if you're paying for a big numbers day then you can't always just shoot the best birds or you wouldn't get you bag. Would love to see a film of him shooting on a Devon high bird shoot, I bet that would be seriously impressive.

What was particularly impressive was that he was shooting most of his birds in the head, the ducks particularly were really well killed. I think it looks like they use pretty tight chokes, which makes some of the closer kills look particularly gruesome. Very good camera work too. Takes a lot of skill to capture both the shooter and the shot.

Edited by Tim Kelly

Fully agree with the above comments.....in the 1st video as much as he was obviously 'plucking' a good few some of the longer and higher birds were killed perfectly, straight up with the gun and on them no messing about! The majority of us wouldn't and will never get those sort of opportunities though, I'm sure I'd be a pretty handy high pheasant shot if I was given the chances people like that get and he's clearly done a LOT of it! God knows why he's bothering with some of those low/close birds though when there are so many good ones :/

I'd still rather be in a pigeon hide with the birds pouring in/over than a huge driven pheasant day :good: .

A good quality 50 pheasant day with good birds and hilly terrain is perfect for me, you definitely remember your shots then (though if I'm honest I'd love to experience a big pheasant day of 200+ so I could really get on them and get some rhythm going, like you do when you're pigeon shooting).

When you did see another gun they did seem to be far enough away, I did not notice any poaching.

Frankly I found the whole idea of murdering ducks and pheasants many below tree top height to be very distasteful. It is exactly the sort of thing the antis quite rightly shout about. Its only October, most of those birds are 20 weeks old max, they would be three times as good in another month. I see the guy uses a pair of Beretta's and a pair of Perazzis, you don't come tooled up like that for a 40 bird day. If the rest of the line shot like that it would be a 2000 bird day. There were sufficient birds to pick and choose.

Ironically the guy can really shoot, mind with the practise he gets most half tidy shots would soon be at his level, a good shot soon finds them. Why he feels the need to hammer everything in the sky is these days beyond me but maybe he is newish to the job. Your first 20 years are spent chasing ' how many" rather than 'how'. In that case a quiet bit of guidance may help but I cant see him listening to an Englishman, perhaps one day the penny will drop.

If people in my gun line were taking birds like that they would get a warning, take another one and its home time, its not how I want things done. We all have done it in the heat of the moment but not all the while.

Somebody mentioned how many would need to be released to get those numbers, work on a 45% return, 30 days at 1.5% released per day average, say its an average 400 bird day over the season which I doubt, thats 60,000 released if my maths are right. Perhaps those figures are a bit high.

Very deep pockets paying for that lot for sure.

A

When you did see another gun they did seem to be far enough away, I did not notice any poaching.

Frankly I found the whole idea of murdering ducks and pheasants many below tree top height to be very distasteful. It is exactly the sort of thing the antis quite rightly shout about. Its only October, most of those birds are 20 weeks old max, they would be three times as good in another month. I see the guy uses a pair of Beretta's and a pair of Perazzis, you don't come tooled up like that for a 40 bird day. If the rest of the line shot like that it would be a 2000 bird day. There were sufficient birds to pick and choose.

Ironically the guy can really shoot, mind with the practise he gets most half tidy shots would soon be at his level, a good shot soon finds them. Why he feels the need to hammer everything in the sky is these days beyond me but maybe he is newish to the job. Your first 20 years are spent chasing ' how many" rather than 'how'. In that case a quiet bit of guidance may help but I cant see him listening to an Englishman, perhaps one day the penny will drop.

If people in my gun line were taking birds like that they would get a warning, take another one and its home time, its not how I want things done. We all have done it in the heat of the moment but not all the while.

Somebody mentioned how many would need to be released to get those numbers, work on a 45% return, 30 days at 1.5% released per day average, say its an average 400 bird day over the season which I doubt, thats 60,000 released if my maths are right. Perhaps those figures are a bit high.

A

Im presuming you are a shooting person and if so,can you tell me what animals you murder?The murder word is usually restricted to the papers and antis and is used for us all so cant understand why you would use it.

A

I'm not sure an anti cares if a pheasant is killed above or below tree height.

I'm not sure an anti cares if a pheasant is killed above or below tree height.

Never mind the anti's, I care and so should everyone else who shoots live game. These guys are pratically blowing some birds apart, there is no question some of these are unfit to be picked up never mind enter the food chain.

I have always argued against the case of so called really high bird shoots because I've shot for long enough to know when skill becomes luck, when the birds are beyond realistic clean kill capacity; what we have here is the reverse only made worse because you can see the birds being smashed quite clearly whereas you can't see 80 yard birds getting lightly pierced by single pellets and going on to suffer for days on end.

In some scenes the chaps friends turn around to the camera and pose with raised arms just after having killed a bird, sorry but it's the sum of their behaviour and conduct not just whether some shots are fairly distant and well executed. I agree with the person who reckoned on the estates being somewhat culpable. The pound signs are making them blind to the adverse affect this can have when non shooters watch these on Youtube.

Without doubt a great shot, but someone needs to have a quiet word with him about shooting ethics etc, no matter how much money you have all that shouting and hollering is just not cricket old bean. The keeper and loader should have told him straight" this is England mate the home of game shooting" pipe down or jump back in your helicopter and f##k off,

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

A little clever editing (if needed) and a slot on prime time tv and game shooting in the UK will be over in under 5 years with that sort of video flying around.

Yes the gentleman is a fine shot and is truely passionate about his shooting but once again the commercial side of shooting is eating away at standards of behaviour .when its all over in this country he will jet of somewhere else without a glance backwards .

Commercial shooting at its worst ,this sort of thing is the biggest threat to shooting in the UK today forget the lead ban .

A little clever editing (if needed) and a slot on prime time tv and game shooting in the UK will be over in under 5 years with that sort of video flying around.

Yes the gentleman is a fine shot and is truely passionate about his shooting but once again the commercial side of shooting is eating away at standards of behaviour .when its all over in this country he will jet of somewhere else without a glance backwards .

Commercial shooting at its worst ,this sort of thing is the biggest threat to shooting in the UK today forget the lead ban .

totally agree, as said the bloke can use a gun but holding up a injured bird to pose for the camera(not good) . And to draw feathers out of ducks on impact they must of been really close. All I saw was some good shooting but no compassion or respect whatsoever .

Without doubt a great shot, but someone needs to have a quiet word with him about shooting ethics etc, no matter how much money you have all that shouting and hollering is just not cricket old bean. The keeper and loader should have told him straight" this is England mate the home of game shooting" pipe down or jump back in your helicopter and f##k off,

Atb

Flynny

I doubt the rules of 'cricket' will even be mentioned given the amount of money he will be paying to shoot, and the loader and 'keeper will know only too well which side of their bread is buttered. :yes:

Im presuming you are a shooting person and if so,can you tell me what animals you murder?The murder word is usually restricted to the papers and antis and is used for us all so cant understand why you would use it.

Shot driven game for 49 seasons this time. At present I do 10 days or so a year but for many years did about 20-22 days, so I have done a bit.

Murder is perhaps an unfortunate choice of word, slaughter would perhaps be better. The guy is such a good shot you know the result before he pulls the trigger, in that case why pull it !!, its not as though he is killing for the pot or protecting crops. He uses tight chokes yes, thats why his birds fold so well at distance and close ones come down over ready.

Birds need to present a challenge for me. No challenge then the gun stays under the arm, shooting them again in a couple of weeks then it may be a better bird. I have left a shoot that no longer produced a challenge generally and I am far from the worlds best shot.

Banter is why I continue, we had a pre season clay shoot last week, superb crack and banter.

A

Edited by Alycidon

• 3 weeks later...

I think the guys techneque it pretty flawless, always following through smoothly but also quick on to the line of other birds. While i am not a fan of these massive bag days, at the end of the day shooting estates have offering this type of shooting for years if you can afford it and are willing to pay for it, its going to benefit the estate and all those employed.

Me presonally its not what i would spend my money on. I'd rather have a handfull of good birds and be part of the day. As someone noted above; parhaps i'd think differently if i was millions better off; i'd like to think not but perhaps thats me being niaeve.